Catalyst drivers... which one to dl?

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Ok, having major graphic bugs with Knights of the Old Republic, I finally decided to update my Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro........ but:

- having heard that some Catalyst versions do more harm than good, which version should I download?
- should I download the driver from the manufacturer's page or from ATI directly?

In the past I used gforce cards and always went straight to nvidia for the latest drivers - then I heard/read/had visions that maybe the manufacturer's driver might be better.

Thanks in advance!

D

Deadmanwalking

Well what version do you have at the moment?

The latest drivers are 3.10 and are prob your best bet if you have not got them already.

www.ati.com

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Uncle Sick

Some manufacturers test and optimise the reference drivers (what ATI provide) whilst others seem to merely brand them, quite what Hercules does I'm not sure. More often than not the reference drivers are perfectly fine for most users, and provide the latest fixes and enhancements. The manufacturers' drivers usually take a while to catch up, but if they're actually adding something of worth, then it may be best waiting.

Anyway, I'd recommend downloading the latest Catalyst 3.10 drivers from ATI's website. I've had quite a few problems with them, but the difficulties are not, it seems, unique to this version of the drivers. If you're still experiencing KOTOR problems, then give Hercules' drivers a try (naturally if Hercules already offer 3.10 based drivers, then grab them :)).

Alternatively, you may want to post in the official KOTOR forums or on, say, Rage3D and see if there is a work around for your troubles (of the difficulties I've experienced, pretty much all of them have workarounds available).

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Kind Regards

Edit ~ Hercules, it seems, do offer a 3.10-based driver on their website, so you'd probably be best off going with that.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Deadmanwalking said:
Well what version do you have at the moment?

The latest drivers are 3.10 and are prob your best bet if you have not got them already.

www.ati.com

You know what? I couldn't tell - I installed the drivers that came with the card (bought it last July). Checking the properties, it says: Driver version 6.14.16307..........

And before anyone calls me a lamo :p - I was busy setting up my shuttle asap plus getting ready to move across the atlantic. So cut old Sick some slack. Drivers worked fine with all my other games before, so I didn't feel the need to update until now.

Downloading 3.10 from hercules.com now. Let's hope that I won't regret it.

Oh... btw 27/m/ME. I luvs you, DMW. :(

D

Deadmanwalking

Jonty is here now, so you should be fine and dandy.

COME BACK!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Pay Db's and Ted a tenner for beer and then go back to 21/f/ca please dmw :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Ch3tan said:
Pay Db's and Ted a tenner for beer and then go back to 21/f/ca please dmw :)

I will do very shortly... Credit cards going spare anyone? :p

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
I have a hercules 9800 non-pro which I flashed to pro, I had problems with KotOR crashing to the desktop every 5 minutes with Cat3.10(From ati.com though not hercules.com, althout they seem to be identical at the moment..) With the cat 3.7 drivers from hercules.com (Which have been modified by hercules) I get better performace in games and no crashing in KotOR. The Hercules.com Cat3.7's are by far the best drivers for my setup.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
For any unmodified cards I'd always suggest simply sticking with the latest WHQL release from ATI.com. No one is currently deviating from ATI's reference design, in fact over 90% of the boards on sale are manufactured by ATI and sold to their partners, who do little more than stick a different cooler or in some cases a simple sticker to the existing fan.

Driver wise, all of ATIs partners leave the driver itself intact and unaltered, messing with the driver code would mean having to get the drivers re-WHQL certified, something none of the partners really have the technical resource to manage. The only modifications the likes of Hercules make is to rename the card through the ini files slightly to fit what it says on the box and replace the ATI logos with their own.

Xav

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom