Catacombs suggestions!

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
I read somewhere (although i cant find the link for the life of me) that Catacombs aswell as bringing improved player models, will allow more character variation at creation, and that Mythic are "currently looking into allowing players to redesign the appearance of existing characters"

Thats what i read, dunno if its the case. I sure as hell hope so :O

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Svartmetall said:
WTF? What 'idiotic' post did I make...?!? You might want to back that statement up a bit.

That wasn't directed at you mate ^^

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, I got an idea. What about giving the sooo wanted balance between realms? Oh nm, that's hard....

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
well as the engine is gonna be really really different it would be nice if we could 'remake' our chars, so change the size, face, hair etc

i would rather get more cool looking drop items (like when SI came out, with TG etc) that you dont need to exp, just give big raids etc =)

jnh

Loyal Freddie
harebear said:
i would rather get more cool looking drop items (like when SI came out, with TG etc) that you dont need to exp, just give big raids etc =)

as long as there is balance, theres nothing worse than a 4 hour sidi raid, not being able to take down apoc, and not winning the item you want (if it even dropped) because there's so many other people there rolling...

A

Aoln

Svartmetall said:
"make it so you 100% don't have to xp"

What would be the point of playing DAOC at all then? If your first thought was just to say "for the RvR" or any variation on that, why play a game with all the inevitable levelling-and-PvE parts in it if ALL you want is PvP action, whther 1vs1 or team-based (the hallowed 8vs8 we hear so much about yet see so infrequently)? Why not just play a mediaeval mod for Quake/Counterstrike/Unreal Tournament or something? All the swords and spells, none of the PvE.

Why do people who HATE PvE so much that they can't even be bothered to XP - in a MMORPG ffs - play a MMORPG at all?

No, really, serious question: if you think PvE sucks, why are you playing a MMORPG at all, and not an FPS? This isn't some 'f**k off to game X' rant, I'm genuinely curious about this.

MMORPGs have PvE. It's an inherent part of the genre. You can play DAOC without ever RvRing, but you can't play it without PvEing, that's just how the game is. DAOC is NOT an RvR game, it's a PvE + RvR game. If you hate PvE so much you would do anything to avoid it, you may well be playing not just the wrong game, but the wrong type of game altogether.

Nothing wrong with not having to xp, why should i have to spend hours doing something mind numblingly boring so i can do something i want to?

If you want to xp, go ahead, but don't make it so you're forced to.

jnh

Loyal Freddie
you didnt really answer his question there. if exping is mindnumbingly boring i have to ask the question... why play? its part of all rpg's, never mind mmorpg's, and always will be. its the main way of keeping the game and characters progressing. ok, so prehaps some of their ideas have been alittle OTT (some of the artis being insane to lvl, and some scrolls having such a rare drop rate off mobs that require a group, and so making some scrolls sell for 5p), but you still cant expect there to be no major pve requirement...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Aoln said:
Nothing wrong with not having to xp, why should i have to spend hours doing something mind numblingly boring so i can do something i want to?

If you want to xp, go ahead, but don't make it so you're forced to.

OK, so make it so I get RAs without being forced to RvR. Then everyone's happy :D.

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Thing is, as it is now, you need to do PvE if you are going to keep up in RvR.

You don't NEED RvR to keep up in PvE.. Sure, you get a boost with RA's etc. but it's not a MUST.

Now if you are in an RvR guild, you need artifacts, and take a warrior as an example, you NEED ml8 for Bodyguard.

A

Aoln

jnh said:
you didnt really answer his question there. if exping is mindnumbingly boring i have to ask the question... why play? its part of all rpg's, never mind mmorpg's, and always will be. its the main way of keeping the game and characters progressing. ok, so prehaps some of their ideas have been alittle OTT (some of the artis being insane to lvl, and some scrolls having such a rare drop rate off mobs that require a group, and so making some scrolls sell for 5p), but you still cant expect there to be no major pve requirement...
I continue to play because I still enjoy to RvR.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Kinag said:
Thing is, as it is now, you need to do PvE if you are going to keep up in RvR.

You don't NEED RvR to keep up in PvE.. Sure, you get a boost with RA's etc. but it's not a MUST.

Now if you are in an RvR guild, you need artifacts, and take a warrior as an example, you NEED ml8 for Bodyguard.

Works both ways. You NEED MOBlock, for example, for high-level PvE (about as much as you HAVE to have Battler or GoV or whatever to go out and RvR). So you're forced to endure RvR even though you hate it.

Yussef

Fledgling Freddie
You can participate with whatever in RvR/PvE.

Competing is a different matter for PvE/RvR.

Think on that :p

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
NetNifty said:
I want to be able to convert xp past 50 to rps (hell even if its 10k per bubble or so i'd still rather do that than rvr in its current form anyway).

Excellent idea. :)

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Kinag said:

Well, that is partially addressed in New Frontiers, when xp earned for RvR kill is increased to 8x the current amount. (Which puts it right up with the max bonus you can get.)

In theory you can get to level 50 without killing a single mob. :)

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Svartmetall said:
Works both ways. You NEED MOBlock, for example, for high-level PvE (about as much as you HAVE to have Battler or GoV or whatever to go out and RvR). So you're forced to endure RvR even though you hate it.

You don't need MoB to be able to kill high lvl mobs..

My 46 troll warrior killed a lvl 62 mob solo fully buffed with a bot by my side.. not a single heal.

This was in DF. And I got a witness too ^^

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Kinag said:
You don't need MoB to be able to kill high lvl mobs..

You don't need artis to kill other players in RvR. But it helps, same as MOBlock (or whatever) helps in PvE.

My 46 troll warrior killed a lvl 62 mob solo fully buffed with a bot by my side.. not a single heal.

Nice, but you weren't solo, then, were you? And that's not the point.

Kinag

Part of the furniture
You need artis to get a group in an rvr guild.. try going with your old SI template armor etc. and see how other rvr guilds respons ^^

And I consider it solo as the bb just buffed and stood still.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Kinag said:
You need artis to get a group in an rvr guild

Who said anything about RvR guilds...? The elitism of some players has nothing to do with the basic priciples I was talking about.

And I consider it solo as the bb just buffed and stood still.

Well sorry, but you're wrong. You are only solo if you are really solo. "Solo with a bot" is a blatant contradiction in terms, if you use a bot you are effectively grouped.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
NetNifty said:
I want to be able to convert xp past 50 to rps (hell even if its 10k per bubble or so i'd still rather do that than rvr in its current form anyway).

Can't see how I missed this post; that's not a bad idea at all, actually.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Seems I have made Kinag and Zebolt upset... :eek7:
No. I wasn't trying to insult anyone, just answering from the PvE point of view I'm from, like you PvP-er answers us.
Didn't really think you'd take it seriosly as I, as Zebolt so eloquently put it, didn't think you were that stupid.... :( My sincere apologies for my ignorance. :(

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
think of the bot as some uber artifact that auto procs when you want it to and casts muchos spells :)

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Sigh, let's just say Svartmetall is right.. I hate long discussions :p

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
Margaret said:
Personally, what I'd like to see for Catacombs is...

Weapon style animations in Midgard.

Axe? One style animation with different coloured trails.
Sword? One style animation with different coloured trails.
Hammer? One style animation with different coloured trails.
Left Axe? One style animation with different coloured trails.

See a pattern here?

EDIT: Oh, and a unique sorcerer epic armour. Not just a recoloured wizard epic(with utterly naff colours).
at least know your facts before you complain

axe : has 3 diff animations vs slash in alb which has 2 diff animations
hammer : has 2 diff animations vs crush in alb which has 3 diff animations
sword : has 3 diff animations vs slash in alb which has 2 diff animations
Left axe: 1 animation (this is the only one)

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Moo said:
at least know your facts before you complain

axe : has 3 diff animations vs slash in alb which has 2 diff animations
hammer : has 2 diff animations vs crush in alb which has 3 diff animations
sword : has 3 diff animations vs slash in alb which has 2 diff animations
Left axe: 1 animation (this is the only one)

I didn't count the two-handed animations. Include Alb's 'Two Handed' styles if you want your argument to be valid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom