case call

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmm. I'm a bit torn between two cases. they're desktop models, both by thermaltake: the Tenor and the Bach.

tbh the Bach is more "me", while the Tenor is more polished and closed off and stuff. and 10eur cheaper for some reason. can you guys spot anything that's questionable?

my only niggle is that there are going to be two 7800GT's and an X2 cpu in there. also a seasonic S12 psu, but I do believe/hope that the PSU at least is a standard size.

Will

/bin/su
No slide out mobo tray on either? If I had to choose between those two, I'd pick the Tenor. At least it looks sexy. ;)

TdC

those silverstones are indeed pretty. sadly they're also twice the price (in general) of a thermaltake model :(

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Desktop cases are getting a bit odd these days, evolving into media cases which are rather expensive! You may be better off getting a decent midi-tower than a desktop case. Of the two I'd got for the Bach, as the Tenor does not look as 'clean'.

I have the seasonic, it's a standard size, but a little longer than my last PSU.

TdC

yeah I agree. a nice aluminium front does not a media case make imo, and thus I am not willing to spend near double the money. the tt bach does it for me, while the Tenor is slightly more polished. polished stuff doesn't particularly tickle my fancy, so the Bach it will be.

the Silverstone's Clown came up with are also pretty and well made and all, but the dutch shops that stock them have hugely hiked up the prices due to their being multi-media cases and stuff.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
You realise of course that you can buy stuff over here, or even Germany/etc, and have it shipped to you? It's one benefit of being part of the EU, I've ordered MP3 players, etc from Germany with no problems, the shipping can be a bit pricier, but you often save on the price, plus you can get a better range.

You shouldn't have to pay customs/VAT (unless VAT is lower where you are).

Clown

Part of the furniture
TdC said:
those silverstones are indeed pretty. sadly they're also twice the price (in general) of a thermaltake model :(
But oh so much better, and not tacky at all. It seems that you aren't going to be sticking this in a corner under a desk, so why not get one that looks good even if it takes a week more to get it :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Tenor out of those two, the other one might be better if you had a similar looking stero parts.

TdC

ok you poops :) how about an antec p180? I can swing that with the gf I'm sure ;)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Nice looking cases, seems to be pretty well designed, only minor thing is that there is no removable motherboard tray. Of course I'd got for the black version!

TdC

there's a black P180? ooh, that'd rawck!!

*searches*

TdC

found! and it's reasonably priced too :)

TdC

hmm. aparantly the door is made of cheese. that's what the reviews say at least. a different case it will be :/

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yes was going to mention that, more importantly the duct on the top comes off easily.

Clown

Part of the furniture
It looks like a fridge. What's wrong with you boy?!

TdC

holy batman, cases! :(

OK Clownlet, you pick a case for me that you fancy and I'll let you know what I think of it (and try not to bitch about the price ;))

requirements:
  • ATX
  • preferably desktop model
  • minimalist
  • black

all the cases I like seem to have some strange defect hidden away!
cheers :)

Clown

Part of the furniture

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
The one Clown suggests is supposed to be pretty good, and is well reviewed.

I have the Lian Li V1000, and it's very good, but expensive! The only thing you have to worry about is that some Lian Li cases invert the motherboard, which can be a bit of a problem if it has a heat-pipe like mine (Asus SLI premium). In my case it worked, I just had to install extra cooling.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I've got the "Lian-Li PC-61" but in silver. It is very yummy. Not easy to remove the fans that come with it if you ever want to though.

TdC

I like that PC-61 :) what is that thing at the top by the 5.25" slots? some kind of drive duct or shroud thing?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
The metal is just a bit of metal. There are no ducts or anything in there. There's a fan on the top though ...

TdC

oh, I see! I thought it was some kind of duct.

now one last question: you said the fans were hard to replace / remove... why is that? are they loud, or sized strangely etc?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
They're all 80mm fans, they're not exactly loud and you can always attach a variaible resitor thingy. I think they're hard to remove because they're attached with these plastic screwlike things that aren't screws. The only way I can see to remove the fans (e.g. if you don't like them or one dies) is to break that plastic thing but then I'm not sure how you'd attach a new fan ...

TdC

hmm I see what you mean. oh well, I suppose if they bother me I can always disconnect them. I like the case, me thinks I'll be getting it :)

TdC

lol :) I'll post a nice pic once it all gets in :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Lian Li do aluminium cases very very well. I've had a PC70 for about 3 years and it's a beast in every sense - build quality and ease of access (thumbscrews and removeable drive caddies all round) especially. And I absolutely want one of those 777's (in black, natch).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom