case advice please

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
righto, I'm thinking of getting a sleek new poota case to replace my lian-li "borg cube" server case that lurks under my desk.

my demands are that the case looks reasonably good, has usb, headphone and mic ports that are accessable from the front and can sit on my desk without taking up too much space.

I've come up with the following options that I can get from a local store:

coolermaster centurion model 5 a nice looking tower that doesn't have the silly pricing of the wave, has the ports I want on the front bottom. I'll be replacing the 350W psu that comes with it for my enermax, and I know that my zalman flower's fan won't be hindered by anything strange.

-or-

coolermaster cavalier model 4 a pretty desktop model, it's a bit naff that it comes with a 350W psu that is propriatory and can't (easilly) be replaced. it has the ports I want on the front, hidden by a nicely formed tilting plate which also hides the external 3.5" and 5.25" drive access, so it will have to be open when using a headset/mic or charging my ipod. also I'm not entirely sure that the zalman will fit in it. it's pretty though, and shiny!

anyone had any dealings with the cases and can reccomend one, or a different one? do tell!

Clown

Part of the furniture
Shuttle!

Why does it have to be on your desk and not on the floor?

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive recently reviewed a Cavalier Teeds, although it was the tower case, not the desktop model. One thing I will say is that (imho) Coolermaster make some of the best quality, best looking cases available, but sometimes it seems to be at the expense of cooling.

Whilst not as bad as the Wavemaster, which had 2 80mm fans stood on top of each other for intake, the Cav has a single 120mm fan at the front, which is great, but theres virtually nothing for it to suck air through due to the design of the facia. But like I say, the quality is superb. Screw free fitting all round is nice, but it dosnt have a removable motherboard, which is crap imho.

Another nice case Ive looked at recently was the Antec P160 which also had a 120mm fan front and back, but wasnt quite as well built as the CM cases.

TdC

I'd actually not mind a shuttle, but then I'd prolly need a new cpu and some ram I guess. I want that g5 black one, but I'm feeling a bit ill and have no mind to go look it up :/ btw, I wan tit on my desk to free up some leg room and stuff: there are 7 pc's in my house of which five are under my desk.

hehe jaba that's a pretty flash case. too flash for stuffy old me :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
You can have my Shuttle, I have two :)
SN45G Socket A DDR333

TdC

cheers Wilier! tbh I'm kinda leaning towards the centurion5 atm. I've got a cent1, which I bought as a cheap case to house the pIV someone gave me, and while it's "just a case" I have no problems with it. the cent5 is a whole lot prettier in a no-frills kind of way, so I think I'm going for that.

TdC

Clown said:
You can have my Shuttle, I have two :)
SN45G Socket A DDR333

we may be about to do a business deal here young Clown :) let's PM.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Nooo it was cos its pink! get the pink one!! ;)
It will reduce the beardiness of the unix I have no doubt that youre going to inflict upon it! :)

TdC

rofl :D

nah matey, I have a dedicated unix box (sun ultra10 workstation running solaris9) for the beardy stuff :) here's my dodgy plan:

(maybe) get Clown's shuttle for Mrs TdC (to be covered in "hello kitty" stickers and fluffy toys oO)

get a cent5 for me, move kit from borg-cube to cent. maybe move 2800barton from own kit to possible gf-shuttle, get athy64/3400+ and new mobo for self. accept mad se><or from mrs tdc, play games on new poota.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I'm trying to clear the junk out of my room :)
Who wants some 17" Iiyama CRTs? Free.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Yes. They're very big and heavy, so you will have to come and get it. They worked last time I used them.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
It's too far for me to travel, and I don't really need one anyway. I was just amazed at your generosity.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Sadly most probably not unless you can get someone to pay for them and pick them up, it would not be worth it if they needed them delivered.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm trying to sell my 19" GNR CRT, its just too big and heavy though. Unless I find someone very local who wants one. £40 btw, jsut incase anyone is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom