Car tyres

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Whats the average deal on car tyres these days?

I've always had mine done at trade price, fitted for free, by a friend, but hes retired now, so I have to pay like all the other peasants :)

2 places have quoted me about £100 a wheel, which is a damn sight more expensive than the £55 a wheel I paid my friend. My fronts are down to less than 1.6mm now, so technically the car isn't insured :eek:

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
erm, piece of string? How long?

Maybe need to clarify what size your after Tom.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I was 220 for 3 wheels recently. I only went in to get a leaky valve fixed :(

195/60/14s I think

Tyre make was Ceat which kwik fit claim to be pirelli (which is mostly bullshit)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Mines got Toyo 17 inch mofos on it, they are not far off £200 per tyre. With it being 4 wheel drive you are best changing all 4 at the same time :eek:

DaGen

Fledgling Freddie
Depends what kind of tyres you want to put on your car, I have Dunlops (they came with the car, it's brand new) I'll buy decent tyres when mine need changing as anything else would look shit on my alloys.

You can pick up cheapo tyres for about £30 a piece but you get what you pay for!

Ceat = Pirelli yeah right :D That's the customary Kwik-Fit jackanory session!

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
just had 2 new tyres fitted to my Saxo this morning.

£50 the pair.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
but... the pisser was that I only went in to get them to check me exhaust :(

DaGen

Fledgling Freddie
Were they actually worn to begin with? :p

I went to get my exhaust changed on my old car, they said I needed 2 new rear shock absorbers. I didn't have the money at the time so I told em to leave them, took it round to my mates (who's a mechanic) to see what he could do for me, he told me they were talking crap and that they had smeared oil onto them to make it look like they were leaking!

Twats!

Trem

Nubbin.

Kwik Fit = Evil.

Wolstanton Tyre+Battery = teh win(no good to anyone living outside of Stoke)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
yup - they were definately worn.

I use a small independant places - been going there for years. Guy is genuine.

Trem

*un-nubbinfies Laz*

Independant places are the best bet, Kwik Fit are total utter wankers.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
heres a little comparison :

Catalytic convertor blew on Saxo.

Kwik Fit £299
My place £190

Ive been going there so much, the guy gives me some good prices. Last time I got the back 2 pieces replaced on the exhaust, he reduced the price by £20

DaGen

Fledgling Freddie
At least u know em. :)

The motor industry is a notoriously dodgy place!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The best garages are always the ones that look like the worst garages, in my experience.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Check the front pages of your local Autotrader, lots of deals.
I've got to get some 240/17 Pilot Sports soon...started saving for them in 1987 :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
ok, they're:

205 55 R16

Continentals. I just want a nice quiet tyre, not particularly bothered about how long it lasts, so long as its more than 15k (these have lasted for 60k up and down motorways etc).

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
if you wanna be a cheapo just get some remoulds but im not going to bet on how long they last

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm not ever buying remoulds. I've just bought some tyres from http://www.tyres-online.co.uk, paid via worldpay. Apparently, someone is going to phone me to arrange a time to fit them (they do it at your house if you like).

£85 quid per wheel including fitting and VAT, thats not too bad. I'll let you know if anyone actually turns up :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well thats quite good, they just phoned me, and the AA are coming round tomorrow to sort it out. Yes, they'll have to have a wheel balancer, I've seen them in use in various paddocks etc.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'll tell them I don't, and point them to the analogue battery meter on the dashboard.

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
ok, they're:

205 55 R16

Continentals. I just want a nice quiet tyre, not particularly bothered about how long it lasts, so long as its more than 15k (these have lasted for 60k up and down motorways etc).

205 55 16's <PM me the model and specs of the car you drive if you like some more specific advice>

Otherwise off top of my head can try Nokian if you are a slow driver <although some are performance types they are mostly standard>. Ask specifically for solid rubber, the more solid the profile the longer the tyre lasts basically. Mind though solid rubber tyres jinx steep cornering and generally provide worse grip.

For my parents car i usually choose Dunlop or Nokian depending on availability. Dunlop being my personal favourite manufacturer for winter and Yokohama for summer <well you shouldnt really bother as it rarely snows in UK>. Prefer to handpick tyres by profile design.

PS: imo dont drive a car on "slicks" if the road aint dry, but im sure you know that. And 60k :clap: !!! my tyres barely last through one season ~15k kilometers not even miles.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I drive an Audi A4 1.9Tdi. The most important thing to me is that the tyres are quiet. The continentals I have right now are very quiet, so I'm getting another set. I'll let you know the exact model after the man has been tomorrow.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
You can't get shitter than a Kwik Fit fitter! as the advert used to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom