Car tyres

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
90/115 hp fwd. Nice car. Stationwagon or Sedan ? And Continentals are just fine mate, decent balance <provided you get fair price on them>. Btw if your tyres are summer/all-season then they will be silent as a mouse :eek7: , mainly its the road surface that makes all the noises <compare cobblestone/highway turmac/local roads.

PS: i usually spend 4k rubles <thats around J90> per wheel, thats including balancing and tyre switch.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well, he put on some Contisportcontact tyres, although he was 30 mins late, but that was the AA's fault not his (cockup on the order).

All very easy, much better than paying at a garage, he did it right outside my house :)

Final bill was £181.26

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
The missus got a puncture in one of the car tyres the other day, and managed to completely shred the thing up.

Cost us £47.80 - I just opened the bill 30 seconds ago.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
http://www.blackcircles.com for tyres

Four Goodyear Eagle F1's (V groove) VR rated tyres, fitted, balanced and valves; fitted on my driveway for £220 all in.

They have contracted fitting centres all over the UK, or they will come to you.

G

Tom

I am a FH squatter
whats the deal with the speed rating? how fast are the letters?

old.user4556

Google is your friend ;)

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyrspeed.html

Tyres that are higher rated tend to have better grip across more of the tyre. I have two ZR rated tyres on the back of my car, not that i'll be doing 190 mph you understand but the tread pattern/grip is far superior to the R rated tyres that were on before it. R rated tyres were no good anyway.

G

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Big G said:
http://www.blackcircles.com for tyres

Four Goodyear Eagle F1's (V groove) VR rated tyres, fitted, balanced and valves; fitted on my driveway for £220 all in.

They have contracted fitting centres all over the UK, or they will come to you.

G

I spotted Blackcircles, wasn't sure if they were any good, £600 for mine :/

*sells car, buys Segway*

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Tom will burn through Eagle F1 in just over 15k miles tbh.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Ceat are owned by Pirelli afaik. It's a common trick in the tyre trade, rebranding last years model and selling it at a discount without affecting the parent company's image. Michelin do it with BF Goodrich and Kleber, Pirelli do it with Ceat and Continental do it with Semperit.

Kwik-Fit do a pretty decent home fitting service, last time I changed the tyres on meh Golf Kwik Fit mobile did it for 82 a corner for some new model Michelins whilst ATS wanted 110 quid a corner for some Dunlop pish. Seemed a pretty good deal, and if you're ever changing tyres and want great grip in the dry and unreal grip in the wet, get yourself some Michelin Pilot Exaltos. They really are the dog's danglies.

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
What's your point caller?

If that aimed at my reply, then read Toms first post mate, he wants the tyres to last him a while without degrading much, Eagle F1 are performance tyres that will burn fast.

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
Google is your friend ;)

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyrspeed.html

Tyres that are higher rated tend to have better grip across more of the tyre. I have two ZR rated tyres on the back of my car, not that i'll be doing 190 mph you understand but the tread pattern/grip is far superior to the R rated tyres that were on before it. R rated tyres were no good anyway.

G

The reason that tyres have high ratings is nothing to do with the amount of physical grip at all. The rating is given to a tyre that can last at the set speed for one hour (at correct inflation) for one hour. This means that whilst you could do 180mph on an H rated tyre, the chances are a prolonged run will blow it (it'll melt/deform). The important thing to remember is that even though you might try to skimp by saying "I'll get H rated and drive slower" they're not just designed for the high speed, they're also designed to be stable under extreme braking (dependent on rating).

BTW, Micheldever tyres have always been good. Worst I've ever paid for a tyre was £310 for a 295/35 ZR18! and I needed two.... :eek2:

Mouse_On_Mars

Fledgling Freddie
35 profile :eek:
/me hands Dubbs some rubber bands

I guess you don't have pot holes round your way, or do your wheels closely resemble 50 pence pieces? ;)

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
Mouse_On_Mars said:
35 profile :eek:
/me hands Dubbs some rubber bands

I guess you don't have pot holes round your way, or do your wheels closely resemble 50 pence pieces? ;)

Not any more I've got a co. car!! Let's just say the car was fast and light enough to not go down any pot-holes!! :)

Fun why it lasted but I coud never park in a multi-storey as I'd get stuck!

Still, that's another story - I don't want to hijack the thread :)

old.user4556

Dubbs said:
The reason that tyres have high ratings is nothing to do with the amount of physical grip at all.

:rolleyes: i know this - trust me when i say that the ZR rated version had better grip than the previous R rated version :). I say 'tend' to, not all. The speed rating doesn't relate to grip, no - but for that particular set of tyres, The ZR ones had a 'wider' grip pattern which I could notice was better in the wet.

G

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
:rolleyes: i know this - trust me when i say that the ZR rated version had better grip than the previous R rated version :). I say 'tend' to, not all. The speed rating doesn't relate to grip, no - but for that particular set of tyres, The ZR ones had a 'wider' grip pattern which I could notice was better in the wet.

G

Big G - as long as you were happy with them, that's the main thing. I would point out though that a wider tyre pattern would normally provide less grip in the wet as it displaces less water and spreads the weight of the car more proportionately across the tyre - hence powerful sportscars (a la porsche, tvr, lotus) have more of an issue with aquaplaning than other cars (mundanos and the like), besides I was only pointing out that the comment you made about "Tyres that are higher rated tend to have better grip across more of the tyre." isn't strictly correct. I imagine there's quite a few saxo boys on here and I'd hate to think they'd all go on the info and buy tyres that would be dangerous for their car.

old.user4556

Yes, apologies it wasn't quite correct, as in 'the higher the speed rating the better the grip' (which was why i said 'tend to' ;)). As I say, on this particular tread pattern; due to the higher speed rating, the grip was a lot better.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well I don't know about you lot, but I'm more interested in tyres that are quiet, and that last for a couple of years. Those things tend to be important when you're doing high mileages :)

old.user4556

The Eagle F1s are quite a bit more quiet than the Pirelli P6000s i've had, but then again those Pirellis may have been quite loud :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom