Car insurance

S

S-Gray

Ive been looking for the thread where you guys have been saying who the good insurance companies are.. but couldnt find it.

Anyway, my dad said for me to look for my own insurance now so ive been looking at various sites, first of all i used confused.com to help put in all my quote details... but the cheapest one was Elephant which came in at £1803 :eek6:

Ive been driving for 2 and half years and am now driving a Vauxhall Astra 1.7d (1993) with no claims and the like... yet its still like near £2g!

DirectLine came in second with £1900, and im gonna try a couple of others now (AA, Esure, Halifax, Tescos) to see if i can beat that price...

If i cant chances are im gonna be staying on my dads insurance for a while... :(

P

Panda On Smack

shit, how old are you?

im with elephant and mines 700 quid for a 205 1.9

they were the best for me.

M

Meatballs

the key is to register as a second driver on your dad/mums insurance etc.

G

gremlin

Originally posted by Meatballs
the key is to register as a second driver on your dad/mums insurance etc.
Pointless as you won't personally aquire any no-claims bonus.

Go with your own policy - it's worth it later on.

M

Maljonic

And there was me thinking CIS are ripping me off with a £180 a year policy...

T

Tom

Stay on your dad's insurance until you get a good job, enough to pay for your own. I'm 31 and I still pay £760 with 7 years no claims :/

L

lovedaddy

somehow I only pay 550 quid ish for fully comp, 24 with only 1 years no claims, me as the only named driver, on a new (well year old) 206.
(tho I did lose a 4 years last year, crashing racing home for a bloody cs match of all things - funny getting a phone call from a mate asking where the hell i was - 'can I call you back, im just in the back of a cop car being made to take breathalyzer test')

X

Xtro

I drive a 2.0i, am 32, I pay £560 full comp - Got a few years no claims and thats with Direct Line.

Elephant seem ok too. If I could have been arsed I'd have transferred to them this year.

O

old.ignus

Main problem is probably your car, believe it or not my current M reg 306 XDTR 1.9 costs less to insure than my last car which was a K reg cavalier 1.6. Its all down to what group they fall into, vauxhalls don't do so well because they're so easy to break into, my 306 is a group 5 whereas the cavalier was a group 7.

Also is this quote for fully comp?

Try CIS for your first few years of driving but CIS aren't an insurance company as such, they deal for you so everytime they have to do paperwork for you they'll up the price so you're better off going for another group after you notice the price isn't going down as much as it should when your no claims come along.

S

S-Gray

Im wondering.. when i went to confused.com it asked if i had an alarm fitted... i put no because i dont think atm it works... but if i put yes (and fix the alarm) will it go even cheaper?

O

old.ignus

Yes but nothing major, if you had an imobiliser fitted it would be better. Also they probably asked you what you do for a living, what did you say?

S

S-Gray

Retail Assistant :p

Couldnt really get past the alarm bit because it asked for the make and proof of it.. :/

P

PR.

When they ask does it have an alarm they mean, does it have a properly installed Thatchem(?) alarm not some £25 Halfords thing thats wired into the interior light.

When you have Thatchem(?) alarms installed I believe you get a certificate to prove its been done properly

O

old.ignus

tell them you remove the battery every time you leave you car and carry it with you, see if that works.

R

Rubber Bullets

Originally posted by PR.
When they ask does it have an alarm they mean, does it have a properly installed Thatchem(?) alarm not some £25 Halfords thing thats wired into the interior light.

When you have Thatchem(?) alarms installed I believe you get a certificate to prove its been done properly

Thing is that for a Thatcham cat1 alarm/immobiliser you would be looking at around £300 minimum to buy and fit (and they have to be fitted professionally to be valid for insurance) and wouldn't save that back in lower insurance premiums for a number of years.

You could look at a cat2 immobiliser only, but the savings would be less as well.

Fortunately I bought my car with a cat1 already fitted, though in the end Elephant hardly seemed bothered one way or the other. Some companies wouldn't have quoted me without.

It even has a Tracker installed apparently but it would cost so much to reactivate, and for a new battery, that it wouldn't be cost effective for me to do it.

I pay £313 fully comp for a VW Golf VR6

s

M

Me²

Esure won't even quote you unless you have 4+ NCD. It's probably that high because of your postcode which I'm guessing it's either L, CH or WA.

I'm 21 and I was quote similar for my Saxo VTR and an M postcode yet if I get a quote with an address in say Chippenham it literally halves the premium.

T

throdgrain

Dont get fully comp for a start, a lot of people dont bother with that until they are in thier thirties .

M

Maljonic

I'm in my thirties and I still don't bother with full comp'.

A

Any

Im 20 and am fully comp. I couldnt afford to lose the amount my car is worth if anything happened.

If you can id say sell the car and get something beat up as cheap as possible. Insure it third party only. Wait untill you have a couple of years NCB before you do anything else.

T

Tom

They refused to insure me on anything less than fully comp, because, I presume, I have an 'executive' car. It's an Audi A4 1.9TdiSE, but its only worth about £6000 at the moment.

:(

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]
£1803, £1900
Fucksake! I'd better not say how much cheaper mine is at the grand old age of 43.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom