Camelot Unchained in the building stage!!! :)

Vallikor

Fledgling Freddie
As a thinking exercise, would you mind sacrificing the ability to rez if;
a) The time you were in combat felt more meaningful than in other games
b) Death, and the return journey to the fight was a likewise enjoyable experience (albeit in different ways than fighting)?

The more this conversation goes on, the more I feel like I'm ready to say "Forget rezzing". If I died, and the fight had been going very much in my realms favor, I might consider finding a new objective. Or, if it was edge-of-your-seat close, the adrenaline filled sprint back to the fray could be a great experience in itself; especially if I run into opposition on the roads.

No one likes to lose, and we've become reliant on a rez as part of the mechanic to success. I'd very much like to see what I could do without in a game.

Zubei

Regular Freddie
Well MJ also said that he is not going to be balancing for "8 Mans" CU will be balanced across the board.. not just for group vs group.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
This is a pretty heated subject. Defending keeps and the like against an army of invaders who have healers standing back and rezzing everyone over and over and over again gets annoying real quick. It ends up being a game of "who will get bored and give up first?". I don't want this to happen in this game, at all. If rezzing is allowed it better have some huge drawbacks and/or consequences. Only being able to rez someone every hour or something could work. I, am all for removing rezzing all together.

Never seen rezzing as an issue during keep takes in DAOC, the biggest issues when attacking keeps during vanilla DAOC was pbaoeing through keep gates/walls and larger numbers - rezzing just wasn't the issue at all. Even in new frontiers/more modern DAOC rezzing isn't the issue its actually getting into a keep, soon as you get defenders inside remotely close to the numbers attacking its more or less game over unless the attackers are very well organized :) not so much because the defenders chain rezz but because the defenders have A) Higher ground and B) have cover when needed.

Kyrana

Regular Freddie
Never seen rezzing as an issue during keep takes in DAOC, the biggest issues when attacking keeps during vanilla DAOC was pbaoeing through keep gates/walls and larger numbers - rezzing just wasn't the issue at all. Even in new frontiers/more modern DAOC rezzing isn't the issue its actually getting into a keep, soon as you get defenders inside remotely close to the numbers attacking its more or less game over unless the attackers are very well organized :) not so much because the defenders chain rezz but because the defenders have A) Higher ground and B) have cover when needed.

You are spot on.

Oshunsar

Fledgling Freddie
Rezz? No.
He who wields a weapon will fall through one.
Anyone can come back from the place where he will be brought to (veil?) this time is the penalty already. Remember, no one really dies here is the saying.
And I'm in most MMO a side or main healer... rezz makes warriors careless - some say dumb.
Where do strategy and tactics will go with it?

On the other hand - lets have some rescue. GW2 has here an (sometimes annoying or faulty or...) option of last chance, that I like. Faint Death, rabbit retreat e.g. are also options. One hit should be excluded, so no one can claim UNFAIR on his death.

To protect us healers Kyrana: Play with the healing options. let healing be also a last resort, no fat potions, highly mana expensive instants, etc etc. so all players KNOW that a healer has hard life and no chance to keep all alive during a hard fight.

Oshunsar

Fledgling Freddie
Oh and maybe final blows shoud made hard, there is a difference between incapacitating and killing (Gothic Players know).
Maybe difficult to build in a RaR game with no PvE

Kyrana

Regular Freddie
Rezz? No.
He who wields a weapon will fall through one.
Anyone can come back from the place where he will be brought to (veil?) this time is the penalty already. Remember, no one really dies here is the saying.
And I'm in most MMO a side or main healer... rezz makes warriors careless - some say dumb.
Where do strategy and tactics will go with it?

On the other hand - lets have some rescue. GW2 has here an (sometimes annoying or faulty or...) option of last chance, that I like. Faint Death, rabbit retreat e.g. are also options. One hit should be excluded, so no one can claim UNFAIR on his death.

To protect us healers Kyrana: Play with the healing options. let healing be also a last resort, no fat potions, highly mana expensive instants, etc etc. so all players KNOW that a healer has hard life and no chance to keep all alive during a hard fight.

I disagree I think healers should be very efficient in healing. We are the main target of everyone, we need to be. Most new games have dumbed the healer down, and I hate that. Make our class hard, but do not gimp us.

Vesir

Fledgling Freddie
my opinion on healers is this: 3 on 2 , i'm on the 2 and i'm a healer. if the 3 people get on my friend we should win.. no problems... if the 3 get on me we should lose (unless there is a giant gap in skill)

pretty much how i always saw it

Errzz

Fledgling Freddie
As I mentioned yesterday in the KS comments, if resses need soul fragments, most resses would become tactical and non spamable. Also the healer might just want their soul infused staff instead of ressing x amount of players. If the player isn't ressed they enter the veil, where they have to get to a point far enough away from the battle before they can return to the realm and continue the fight.
Also if the infused weapons and armour had a soul fragment upkeep cost, would help against the healer getting vast amounts of souls and making ressing more common. If the weapon/armour upkeep cost isn't met then the weapon becomes heavier and the armour uncomfortable given rise to penalties for continued use.

Last edited:

binskki

Fledgling Freddie
Hey, guys...finally got myself over here.

I am so excited that we funded, and have my fingers crossed for The Depths and other stretch goals. And, archers are in...woot!

Many thanks to Freddy's House for giving us a home. :)

boxfetish

Fledgling Freddie
Hey, guys...finally got myself over here.

I am so excited that we funded, and have my fingers crossed for The Depths and other stretch goals. And, archers are in...woot!

Many thanks to Freddy's House for giving us a home. :)

Hi Robin! *wave*

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
People are going to have to loosen their grips on some of their most tightly held biases to make this work, I think:

1. This is going to be DaoC 2. (Instead: This game may, in the end, have little in common with DaoC mechanics, we need to be open so we can make it great.)

this is not going to be DAoC 2, but it should be the closest thing to it. i wonder what % of the backers are (ex)DAoC players. i'm fairly sure that 50+ % of the backers/backing to be from (ex)DAoC players and i expect the vast majority of the internal testers of which i'm one, to be (ex)DAoC players and that will give a very heavy bias imho.

binskki

Fledgling Freddie
this is not going to be DAoC 2, but it should be the closest thing to it. i wonder what % of the backers are (ex)DAoC players. i'm fairly sure that 50+ % of the backers/backing to be from (ex)DAoC players and i expect the vast majority of the internal testers of which i'm one, to be (ex)DAoC players and that will give a very heavy bias imho.
Sure - and I think that is a great strength! But having a high percentage of backers/testers who enjoyed DAoC gameplay is not necessarily going to make this a sort of version of DAoC; a high percentage of former Dark Age backers, IT folks (I am one, too) just means that those people have a more defined understanding of what makes tri-realm RvR fun or not fun than most people do. However, that understanding is necessarily going to be changed and informed by all the various things people have done and experienced in the meantime, things technology can do differently, and interesting ideas people have had in the last decade.

I worry that saying this is going to be like a DAoC 2 may turn out to be misleading and/or ultimately disappointing, both to folks that want it to be just like Dark Age, and to folks that don't want it to resemble Dark Age too closely. It seems like the common denominators between Dark Age and Camelot Unchained are going to be: 1. easy does not necessarily = good; 2. rvr fun > all else; and 3. joining together with your community to do something you believe in is what makes these things fun! But exactly how that comes about could wind up looking quite a lot different than DAoC.

I had more fun in DAoC than in anything, but I am trying to be very careful to separate my ideas about what I loved in DAoC from ideas about how things should be in CU. When I think about something I loved about Dark Age, I stop, take a step back, and ask myself: "Why, exactly, did I love that?" And the follow-on question to that one is: "Is that the only way to make people love that element of a game, or is there something else I should be considering?"

I guess all I am saying is that I am thrilled that we are going to have another "home" like Dark Ages was for so many; but I also believe that iit's incredibly important that we all keep reminding ourselves to let Camelot Unchained be its own thing. :)

Last edited:

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
The name, Camelot Unchained, kind of suggests a direct link to Dark Age of Camelot :p

Oshunsar

Fledgling Freddie
Ma son has a question: What does Herald and armory means?
Does it include weapon and armor designable as well as clothes and guild badges?

- English -

Resident Freddy
Ma son has a question: What does Herald and armory means?
Does it include weapon and armor designable as well as clothes and guild badges?

I think its more of a stats thing, so you can see who is leading in points, what guilds are performing best etc. Daoc had them on and off for a short period of time, but they were nice to see :)

professor nomos

Regular Freddie
I think its more of a stats thing, so you can see who is leading in points, what guilds are performing best etc. Daoc had them on and off for a short period of time, but they were nice to see :)

Think of the herald as a CSE Sponsored Community E-zine that focuses on RP events, powerful guilds and other random player information. The DAoC Herald was revolutionary for community relations in its time. EvE and several other companies have similar CR efforts in place currently.

The armory is taken from WoW

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Small question if any of the CU staff care to answer!

What kind of soundtracks are you going to use? I'd love to have something similar that was in DAoC(Humberton Village, Login Soundtrack etc) for the nostalgic reasons.

Not sure if many cares, but remember running around listening to the old soundtracks the first day when I transfered my old characters over to the YWAIN-cluster. I'd love to hear some of those soundtracks inn CU :)

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Small question if any of the CU staff care to answer!

What kind of soundtracks are you going to use? I'd love to have something similar that was in DAoC(Humberton Village, Login Soundtrack etc) for the nostalgic reasons.

Not sure if many cares, but remember running around listening to the old soundtracks the first day when I transfered my old characters over to the YWAIN-cluster. I'd love to hear some of those soundtracks inn CU :)

First time i logged on the beta from Dark Age of Camelot, Logged on then the Humberton Village sound comes on! Wow that was so awesome i just kept standing there this could be really nice, we are almost 14 years furthers now and i still enjoy it :)

Chosen

Resident Freddy
First time i logged on the beta from Dark Age of Camelot, Logged on then the Humberton Village sound comes on! Wow that was so awesome i just kept standing there this could be really nice, we are almost 14 years furthers now and i still enjoy it :)
I did the same :) beta start I rolled a highlander. Remember the music first time I logged inn, and even though I was a teenage brat back then I still remember it like it was yesterday :)

Oshunsar

Fledgling Freddie
Call me nostalgic but DAAAdaaa dadada dadadaaaa has been my cell phone ringing tone since :)
But here I want new ones.

Oshunsar

Fledgling Freddie
Snief just watched the GOA trailer for DAoC.
For pre TOA I still love the "realistic" style of moves (even in it round based waiting), the emotes, the armor, the tactics (hope that get even better for setting up traps and ambushes) and the non Asia art in styles and casts!
Faces got better later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom