Camelot Organiser - 1

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Well I've decided to do something proactive to keep my mind fresh in programming and what better way to do it then do something in daoc! This is going to be a free time thing so basically a substitute to tele for a while.

I decided to make a program to avoid all of these shortcuts, weblinks and such for people and to make it all into one off-line program which can sit on your desktop.

What I need from the community is opinions on what should be included there and ideas for making it generally more useful for people.

So far:

1)Shortcuts to your daoc programs. Not sure which clients can still be run so have labby/DR/toa there as place holders
2)Shortcut to ventmix
3)Shortcut to mirc
4)Shortcut to your SCcalc
5)Making a general overview for each class which I could use some help in writing; if anyone has any guides they've written and wouldn't mind me using them, please say now. Don't want to use work which people don't want me to use afterall ;)
6)RA calculator
7)Class skill calculator

For the class overview, I want to include spec help, levelling guide, play guide if needed and maybe a few templates for each.

Opinions? Suggested improvements? Is this a waste of time?

edit:Also going to need 64x128 pictures of each class or something around those regions

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
If you need help with the class pictures (i.e. photoshopping), let me know.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
If you need help with the class pictures (i.e. photoshopping), let me know.

Will need a picture of every class :( Only going to have them in the top right corner at the moment but may end up having them as a title in iteself. Will post a pic of what I'm upto in a lil bit, just having a lil programming episode at the moment :(

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Okay, tried it and that small just looks silly. Decided to change it to 200x100; meaning any photoshopping for a class would be great. Each one will need a 2x2 border of an appropriate colour, the class name and an image of the class in it. I'm not great at image editting so anything to help would be fantastic.

Like this for example, would need a 'The heretic' or such written to the left of it. Going to need one of these for each class sadly :( So any help would be great. Will of course list all names of those who help in the credits.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Well... the problem is to find a lvl 50 char of each class (on each realm) that´s properly equipped (i.e. nice colour scheme etc).
We can - of course - search the internet for pics, but that´s not the same I guess. Any idea how to solve this?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Gonna have to rely on people posting their chars ;) I'll do cleric/sorc/heretic/valk/wizard/minstrel/necro unless anyonelse can post their characters of these, heh.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
ok, let´s do it like you say: people posting their screenshots here and I`m gonna make a bunch of those nice lil icons (with class) and send them to you.

that ok?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Would be brilliant mate; heres what I've got so far:

Will have to do the valk later as I have to head out :( This is the size I'm wanting to keep them as, 200x100 with the name on the left side :) Anyonelse with chars who would like to help out, it's rep worthy and would help loads, cheers :)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
This is what I've got so far :

Still very very much unfinished and none of the user interface stuff is really complete here. Will be thinking of ways to make it look nicer, be user friendly and have a lot more content :p

Suggestions of improvement, even at this early stage would be appreciated, even if they're things which are relatively obvious like making proper icons for clients etc.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Nice project, the first 7 points sounds good, but the
For the class overview, I want to include spec help, levelling guide, play guide if needed and maybe a few templates for each.
sure will take alot of time i think, should maybe water it abit down unless you expect alot of work?

What about a patch notes archive that works offline? Could have the last 3-5 patches, the one that EU uses and the finished ones that the US got (not test notes), but ofc that depends on if your gonna update the program from time to time.

Say for the interface i don't presume you want the link to where the the files are (the c:\toa\toa.exe) visible all the time do you? If not you could make an option/settings menu where you could set them, and then go back to where it just showed the icons for the file and not the path to the file. To make it easier (i know nothing about programming) isnt it possible to make it take the icon from the file it links to and show that? EG. if it links to ventrilo it shows the ventrilo icon and so on.

But gl and hf with it, sure sounds nice so far

Wazkyr

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Nice project, the first 7 points sounds good, but the sure will take alot of time i think, should maybe water it abit down unless you expect alot of work?

What about a patch notes archive that works offline? Could have the last 3-5 patches, the one that EU uses and the finished ones that the US got (not test notes), but ofc that depends on if your gonna update the program from time to time.

Say for the interface i don't presume you want the link to where the the files are (the c:\toa\toa.exe) visible all the time do you? If not you could make an option/settings menu where you could set them, and then go back to where it just showed the icons for the file and not the path to the file. To make it easier (i know nothing about programming) isnt it possible to make it take the icon from the file it links to and show that? EG. if it links to ventrilo it shows the ventrilo icon and so on.

But gl and hf with it, sure sounds nice so far

Wazkyr

Cheers bud; the links are going to be put into 'file' menu, they were just there while I was programming it to visually test it. :)

As for guides and such, I know there are quite a few around already so will do some searches then ask people if I can nab them :)

Off out now anyhow, will let you know of more progress tomoro :) Keep the input coming :D

Influenza

Part of the furniture
If you pm me it aswell ill email you some pics of my hibs chars , see if you can find any use in them :)

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
The class stuff I can take or leave (but sure thats just me!), but what i'd find really handy that not found elsewhere (well not found anything thats done well) is a launcher that lets you launch in windows mode or not, and also lets you pick the resolution you wish to launch in (actually i use my own vb front end for this - which your welcome to the source code for - though its straight forward), on top of that better organisation of the account and quickentry, with optional storage of passwords by account and character picked - just a rejig of the whole crappy launcher that were stuck with.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
hm..maybe a n00b question, but: the +w parameter doesn´t work for windowed mode?

uron

Loyal Freddie
i can send u the raw screen shots if u need any chars, think i can get pretty much any char :) how long is this going to take u do u think?

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
If you got trubble finding a class or something, check out The Camelot Herald - select a server (Dont matter what) and select a class, will be a picture with the realm banner and the name of the class that represents the class itself.

h-friar.jpg

h-bard.jpg

h-shaman.jpg

kirennia

Part of the furniture
The class stuff I can take or leave (but sure thats just me!), but what i'd find really handy that not found elsewhere (well not found anything thats done well) is a launcher that lets you launch in windows mode or not, and also lets you pick the resolution you wish to launch in (actually i use my own vb front end for this - which your welcome to the source code for - though its straight forward), on top of that better organisation of the account and quickentry, with optional storage of passwords by account and character picked - just a rejig of the whole crappy launcher that were stuck with.

I'd have to talk with a GOA GM to ask if it's allowed. The problem would be if I made a program which runs changing small details of daoc, even if it is the load up, it might well be flagged as a third party program and get people banned. Will let you knowwhat happens, unless Roaken is still active here and can answer personally :)

i can send u the raw screen shots if u need any chars, think i can get pretty much any char; how long is this going to take u do u think?

Just post them here and then I'll take them off a list. What I'll do is make a "Camelot Organiser - 2" thread once this is better complete and then keep updating people with what is done and what is not. As for how long this'd take, it all depends on guides, RA calc setups and such like that. Basically, the more help I can get with pictures and malarky, the better :D

If you got trubble finding a class or something, check out The Camelot Herald - select a server (Dont matter what) and select a class, will be a picture with the realm banner and the name of the class that represents the class itself.

Cheers, repped :D Think I'll just use this although if someone comes forward and shows their own character with the class name and such, I'll probably use that out of respect :)

edit: My e-mail address is kirennia@hotmail.com ; that's the one I use for stuff like this anyway..

If anyone is up for beta testing and suggesting improvements at any stage, give me a yell by the way. Am always up for listening to others point of views in such things.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Anyone got a host or know of a place I can upload a file less then 1 megabyte in size for the purpose of alpha testing? This is far from done but I wouldn't mind people testing it as I went a long to see if I make any mistakes which can be rectified early on...

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Having a manager simply to default to the account and the character name is just matter of writing to inis, as is the resolution and windowed bit - all done before main game launch. Doesnt in anyway alter the game while its running - id be 100% sure its fine - well hope it is as ive been doing the rez and windowed launch thing for about 3 years.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Having a manager simply to default to the account and the character name is just matter of writing to inis, as is the resolution and windowed bit - all done before main game launch. Doesnt in anyway alter the game while its running - id be 100% sure its fine - well hope it is as ive been doing the rez and windowed launch thing for about 3 years.

Okay bud; please understand why I will still wait for confirmation anyway though :) Going to at every stage of development, keep on harassing GOA, even if it's for small things so for something large like this, I wouldn't think twice about asking them first.

Don't think it's because I don't trust you but this sort of large program, implementing things such as this, as well as everythingelse which comes with, I have to be certain they wont come down like a ton of bricks on me :)

Rep for the idea, would indeed be awesome.

And still looking for temp server by the way :D

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Grrrrr, how annoying. The Camelot Herald doesn't have the pictures for a mauler from each realm as they do for every other class :( That's just slack! ;)

If anyone can produce a picture for each mauler as shown with those produced so far, it'd be fantastic but for the time being, this is all I need to release v1.01 alpha test :p

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Had a loss of quality converting it to a GIF format but I had no choice really; JPG went over 1.5meg so imageshack wouldn't accept it.

v1.01 done. Every class now has basic information displayed and in the File menu, you can change the location of the different files shown so they work. Shrink and expand menus are active and every class as well as those shown as blank between alb, hib and mid work properly...

If anyone wants this version to Alpha test, please say so and I'll try and find a host.

Total size of program so far : 418, 200 bytes
Ram used whilst file is running : 12mb although this will shrink as I do better data compilation.

Nate

FH is my second home
By the by, Runemasters are the primary caster class in Midgard.

This looks really cool though Kir :) keep up the good work!

Drungan

One of Freddy's beloved
maybe add crafting tables with craft prices and sellback values/general loss for skilling up. (like prissy's db for alchemy once)

don't know if you plan to do this but general crafting info is helpful for us crafters (prices, calculators, skillguides, ... ) :)

my old excel crafting tables are waaaaay out of date i guess, so here some links with info on crafting prices etc.

Most informative and useful for crafting in general i find Motog's Crafting Site.
Also helpful in general are siteslike Spydor's Website.
maybe motog and spydor are available for sourcecode requests, dunno.

Only two of a ton of good sites for now.

And also, rep for u for doing this project. Love the idea !

[edit] fcked up links

Nate

FH is my second home
Weird, you got that from Camelot Herald :eek: how can that be wrong.. I always remember Wizard, Eldritch and Runemaster being called the Primary caster classes..hmm something changed!

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Okay bud; please understand why I will still wait for confirmation anyway though :) Going to at every stage of development, keep on harassing GOA, even if it's for small things so for something large like this, I wouldn't think twice about asking them first.

Don't think it's because I don't trust you but this sort of large program, implementing things such as this, as well as everythingelse which comes with, I have to be certain they wont come down like a ton of bricks on me :)

Rep for the idea, would indeed be awesome.

And still looking for temp server by the way :D

No worries, you are da man! :fluffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom