"Camelot in 2005"

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
On US forums, the feedback on the mythic lead dev's latest statement about near-future game updates (http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1875.shtml) was mostly positive. My question is, will all these updates affect the european servers and how long do people expect their implementation to take? (I haven't been playing on euro servers for that long but already know GOA have one of the worst reputations for timing).

Also what do people think of the idea of RvR server clustering between different language servers? This may sound ridiculous at first, but for purely RvR purposes I believe it would be fairly simple. Firstly there is rarely much communication required between groups (extend to BGs if you want) so people could be figthing in a group with players from the same server, alongside others from a differrent one. For those without a large guild or in-game friendbase to rely on, even multi language groups would be quite possible, the -important- dialogue in the average random group is generally very simple, often sparse and consists mainly of abbreviations which (for the most part), players speaking any language could understand.

Quetz

Fledgling Freddie
Void959 said:
Also what do people think of the idea of RvR server clustering between different language servers?

I think one of the important benefits server clustering will provide is not so much shared RvR zones, but also being able to share PvE zones. I don't think GOA would cluster different language servers anyway, but if they did then I personally think it would create more problems than it would solve. As for when the changes that have just been announced are likely to hit Europe...I'd be surprised if it was this side of July...not that it will make that much difference, most of the things they will be looking at don't address any of the key issues.

Cracked

Fledgling Freddie
If Mythic where smart they would redo the whole NF expansion. That's what caused most ppl to leave so they should try and make the new system like the OF. But is Mythic smart? Nope..

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Cracked said:
If Mythic where smart they would redo the whole NF expansion. That's what caused most ppl to leave so they should try and make the new system like the OF. But is Mythic smart? Nope..
I fail to see what the gripe about NF is, people are happily making mroe rps and generally having more fun in the frontiers than ever, even Mr CasualGamer like me. The only bugbear I have with NF is about to be fixed with the relic changes.

As for "most people leaving", twaddle, with the launch of WoW and other factors, NF is far from the main reason, and most will be back I assure you. (waits for "Ill never be back" post followed in 6 weeks time by "I lost my subs pass and want back in QQ" post!)

For us non whiners, DAoC will continue to improve.

Jobil

Fledgling Freddie
like whoodoo said, NF = uber for casual gamers
OF = perfect for dedicated gank squads
im indifferent about them, wouldnt mind OF but not bothered about NF either

Jox

Fledgling Freddie
"Last and certainly not least is that since the original launch of the game, we have looked at creating a new server type that is geared to players who have less time than others to commit to a MMORPG. This exciting new server will cater to both the casual player as well as address some of the concerns of players about bots and the time commitment necessary to complete ToA. We will be announcing full details about this server type in the coming weeks but I believe that this server will go a long way in making DAoC the leader of the pack in regards to the casual player."

lol

Demrog

Fledgling Freddie
Cracked said:

TOA almost made me leave.

NF made me stay.

So for me at least your statement is untrue, and I'm sure that I am not alone in that.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
The people that left the game because of NF were mainly high RR gank group people who were only motivated by RPs and not realm defence.

Good riddance tbh ;)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Demrog said:
TOA almost made me leave.

NF made me stay.

So for me at least your statement is untrue, and I'm sure that I am not alone in that.
most casual gamers will follow youre sentiment
unfortunately mythic favours casual gamers i.e zerg wars so NF and additions like it are here to stay

Faith

Fledgling Freddie
pvp is multi nationality

Quetz said:
I think one of the important benefits server clustering will provide is not so much shared RvR zones, but also being able to share PvE zones. I don't think GOA would cluster different language servers anyway, but if they did then I personally think it would create more problems than it would solve. As for when the changes that have just been announced are likely to hit Europe...I'd be surprised if it was this side of July...not that it will make that much difference, most of the things they will be looking at don't address any of the key issues.

PvP has always been multi language. no problems there since ive played. i dont see it being any bigger of a deal on RvR. except maybe for the Xp spots etc being camped. but catacombs will fix that anyway.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
most casual gamers will follow youre sentiment
unfortunately mythic favours casual gamers i.e zerg wars so NF and additions like it are here to stay

The majority of games players are casual players, they are the large market that mythic, and most other MMORPGS, want to tap into. If DAOC is to continue to thrive Mythic has to look to the largest possible player base, rather than the smaller core of hardcore players who seem to dislike the reduction in the rift between them and the casual player.

The MMORPG market is now too large and too diverse for any game wanting to be a major commercial success to just solely appeal to hardcore players who have the time to devote to making perfect templates and perfect gank groups. That player base simply isn't large enough when spread across multiple games to pander to it any more.

It would be stupid.

Which for a player like myself, not casual but not hardcore i.e. put off by Toa, saved by NF, striking a happy balance between the two, these changes are most welcome.

And

Naetha said:
The people that left the game because of NF were mainly high RR gank group people who were only motivated by RPs and not realm defence.

Hear Hear!

Like many players, I came to DAoC expecting to participate in some sort of unified, co-ordinated and co-operative defence of the realm, only to find that the most powerrful players cared only about harvesting RPs rather than co-operation and the new players got harvested by the high RR enemy players from other realms. From where I sat, the Old Frontiers were good for the minority rather than the majority. I do miss some things about the OF, but for the most part I'm glad we have the change.

Now this isn't going to stop me from trying WoW. I've a lot of friends who don't play DAoC who want to try WoW and I don't want to miss the opportunity to play online with them. WoW may drag me away from DAoC for a long time (though not forever), but it won't be because there is anything intrinsincly wrong with DAoC itself and with all the changes Mythic is making, for the most part I can only see it getting better.

For the hardcore players who long for their 8vs8 gank group fun, there will be instanced RvR for them to go and be "1337" in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom