Call of Duty cited for the death of a preteen

Poag

m00?
Because kids don't watch Cowboys and Indians anymore?

I love it how you're all completely ignoring the fact that I agree that it's the parents fault, but I find it amazing that you believe the games don't have anything to do with it.
We dont believe games are the single cause.

Games have age restrictions so that only people who can tell the difference between real and fake play them. If you put things in the hands of a minor, anything can and will happen...this being the gun of course.

And really, who here has a kid or has been a kid at 12 who wasn't told "Hey, dont touch that" and suddenly, 'that' is the most interesting thing in the whole fucking world.

russell

FH is my second home
Stupid retard is retard.

Come on Gwad. I used the example of Bonanza. People used to blame TV programs for kids picking guns up and shooting people. It was Cowboys and Indians back then, Call of Duty now.

Explain why they're not complaining about that any more and how they don't complain about parents leaving loaded guns around the house.

They still play cowboys and indians now.
But it is not as violent and disturbing to watch as when they play 'call of duty'. I dont know why that is? Is it content, intention or that we are more used to cowboys and indians?
Cowboys and indians does seem to have an element of fun in the games they play. COD is just aggression and violence on the playground. Ive never played the game -so it could just be how the kids interprete it?

russell

FH is my second home
This is where there's an age restriction on games. So you know, people can tell the difference between reality and a game.

Every argument you put forward just furthers that point and that its the parents fault.

And srsly, I very much doubt its CoD, if they let him play CoD i bet they let him watch Mission Impossible.

OMG ITS TOM CRUISES FAULT!!!!

WE ALL KNOW ITS THE PARENTS FAULT!.... BUT THE AGE RESTRICTIONS OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT WORKING.
Let them all play 'my little pony' and watch rainbow -thats what I say;)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
WE ALL KNOW ITS THE PARENTS FAULT!.... BUT THE AGE RESTRICTIONS OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT WORKING.
Let them all play 'my little pony' and watch rainbow -thats what I say;)
Careful Rus, you're almost agreeing with me there, you'll be hated

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
seriously wtf is wrong with you gwadien, i really dont get it

Did COD effect the child ? quite possibly.. THATS WHAT THE AGE RATING IS FOR <---

So whose fault is it ? the games fault clearly. as it walked off the shop shelf, into their house, and loaded itself for them to play

you cannot assign blame to an inanimate object

scenario 2 :
child of age 10 gets drunk, shoots friend in face
whose fault ? ALCOHOL ZOMG.. nope, would be a "parenting issue"
so why is THIS a "gaming issue" ?

because its sexy, easy to score points , sells papers, and panders to middle age daily mail readers

russell

FH is my second home
A friend of mine was always careful about playing games when his first kid was born. Now he is on kid 3, at weekends he likes to play his games and sometimes they wander in. He is a little complacent as it interrupts his game time . Chances are his kids will not be affected, they have good parenting. However kids with psychological tendencies will and do react.

My point is that I deal with small children daily and I am a parent and i see the affects of all types of media on our children. This stuff always happened (damn that Bonanza) but it will get worse and worse because of what children have access to now.

The parents should be held repsonsible, but some serious law needs to be made about allowing children access to this stuff.

Mabs

just need a system of breeding licenses, where people are vetted, and if you are too stupid to have children, you shouldnt be allowed to

/hides

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Kids with psychological tendencies will and do react at anything, not just games.

100 years ago violent books were cause for concern among the older generation about the complete degradation of society. Then it was films. Then it was TV. Then it was rap music. Now it's games. There's always something to "blame" when the simple fact of the matter is that we are animals, and we fuck up. Instead of realising that we fuck up because we are flawed, we assign blame to things we think are the cause but in reality are far from it.

Mabs

but people llike to assign blame, as it usually means its "someone else"

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
its a circular argument in here atm the simple fact is they shouldnt have access to the game. it doesnt matter if its 100% the games fault or not i aint even going to get on about the gun lying around the house. something to think on tho what if they had been watching an episode of bugs bunny with elmer fudd trying to shoot him? when i was a kid we used to play shooting games in the school playground yet the closest i got to a shooting game was on my atari playing tanks. kids boys especially are attracted to that sort of thing its been ingrained in them since we first stood up all those thousands of years ago and made a spear.

personally i think kids are alot more clued up today than they were 20 years ago and are alot more de sensitised to violence and sex than i was at this age. i dont think this is a good thing they grow up thinking its acceptable and the norm the problem is its all around them they have it thrown at them everyday TV radio advertising games. this is the world we live in and its up to the parent to teach there child from right and wrong as it has been since day 1

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'll just take this penis of mine and stick it in a 11 year olds mouth. Hey, gwadien thinks that age restrictions don't matter so why not.

The parents aren't working you mean. Behind every kid with rated content is a grownup at fault. Be it a salesperson or a parent.

What they should have is fines and jailtime for parents who buy their kids restricted products. They do it for alcohol and cigarettes, why not other products.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I find it amazing that you believe the games don't have anything to do with it.
They don't Gwad. Kids will pick up a loaded gun and play with it. Always. Even if they've never seen the lone ranger, or played CoD and the only thing they've seen on the news is bad stuff about guns.

Leave a loaded gun about = dead kids. Period.

Regardless of anything else.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
There are a lot of times when I don't agree with Scouse, but this a time that I do fully agree.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I think we're overlooking a more fundamental cause. Wind power!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think we're overlooking a more fundamental cause. Wind power!

Well those spinning blades do cause the lil childrens eyes to go round round and thus scrambles their brain to pick up kitchen knives and stab anyone close to them.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The thing which worries me is that young kids today cannot understand the difference between fantasy and reality.

My worry is that you say "young kids today". Have young kids ever had a clear handle on the difference between fantasy and reality? If they did, none of them would believe in Santa or the tooth fairy. This isn't a new phenomenon.

We have been having problems at the school I work with, with children who play 'call of duty' in the playground and they are 5 and 6! The aggression they show is really bad. We have had the parents in and they say their children have never seen them play the game, and that they have all the apropriate child locking on their computers?

Once again, I remember being six years old and my entire world was about war; playing with toy soldiers, playing with toy guns, war games with my friends, British Bulldog in the playground. I dare say I looked just as aggressive as boys do now (its the girls that have changed more I reckon)

I asked my class of 6/7 year olds what would happen if 'I got a gun and shot you' -12 of them said they would get back up!! Thats what they see and it is so realistic with today's graphics.
They no longer understand what violence and death is and that is due to what they see -not just video games -films, even like Harry Potter That is the nature of our culture today.

No, they'd get back up because the guns they use aren't real. And this is why a parent leaving a real gun around is so monumentally irresponsible.

It is the parents fault, but if a child has a tendency to be slightly mental anyway, access to these games is so dangerous.

"Slightly mental". Is that the medical definition Teach? ;)

And dont even get me started on the whole sexualising thing -5 year olds dancing 'sexy' calling each other 'sexy'. Boys touching girls up at 6, Girls flirting and grinding at 6. its filtered in over the years -but now it is widely accepted. Kids love Katy Perry and Rihanna -its pop, but jesus the videos they make for their songs. Kids see it and of course they act it out.

As I said above, I don't think the problems with kids these days are about the boys particularly; I don't see boys really behaving any differently to the ways they always did; they just do it with more impressive-looking tech than a bent stick; but the change in girls I find quite disturbing. I worry about my daughter when she gets just a little older (on the other hand I'll probably worry more about my son when he's in his teens).

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
You've got 2 people, they're exactly the same in every single way, apart from 1 played COD and the other didn't, they both join the army, who's gonna find it easier killing someone?

I'd like to think that they were both equally capable from telling fantasy from reality else I'd question what the fuck the Army was doing not screening them out in the first place.

russell

FH is my second home
How old are your kids now Dagaffer?

I agree boys will be boys.
I agree about the inbuilt tendencies that have always been there regardless
I agree it is the parents fault.

But what i am saying is , what they are exposed to today and at an early age is making it FAR FAR worse.
And yes Dagaffer the whole fantasy thing should be there with santa etc, but kids used to know that when you are dead, you are dead. They now think the sex, violence, killing, is everyday stuff -they have no shock factor, they have no idea of consequences and these kids will be adults in 12 years. 6 year olds going to get knives from the school canteen to 'slash' other kids is not pretty.

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
What they should have is fines and jailtime for parents who buy their kids restricted products. They do it for alcohol and cigarettes, why not other products.

Actually they don't.

It's not (and to my knowledge ever has been) illegal to supply alcohol or cigarettes to your own children, so long as (in the case of alcohol) the child is over the age of five years old.

It's only illegal if the child buys it themselves.

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
6 year olds going to get knives from the school canteen to 'slash' other kids is not pretty.

So jail them.

Then the other kids will see what happens when you break the law and they won't do it.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
The thing which worries me is that young kids today cannot understand the difference between fantasy and reality.

I know I should take your word for it, but I am having an extremely hard time believing this. You see, I game. I'm 37. I've been playing violent / weird / quirky / violent / dodgy and violent games since I was 9 years old, and not only have I never killed anyone I also consider myself a (reasonably) normal and well adjusted person. I hold down a job and own a house.

I'm sure that most of the gaming people I know, on this site and in general are more or less like me. I, and they (presumably) haven't killed anyone because I (and they) are not psychopaths and/or do not have COMPLETELY MORONIC IDIOTS for parents who leave loaded weapons in their homes while substituting a gaming console / computer for active child-centric parenting. So.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually they don't.

It's not (and to my knowledge ever has been) illegal to supply alcohol or cigarettes to your own children, so long as (in the case of alcohol) the child is over the age of five years old.

It's only illegal if the child buys it themselves.

Might not be in the UK then. Should be.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Kids with psychological tendencies will and do react at anything, not just games.

This ^^
Everything will influence kids in some way, they're impressionable, that's the world we live in. But this one is entirely on the parents, no matter how you look at it children shouldn't have access to a firearm. Even if the case is that they immitated the game, that is again the parents fault, not the game.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
This ^^
Everything will influence kids in some way, they're impressionable, that's the world we live in. But this one is entirely on the parents, no matter how you look at it children shouldn't have access to a firearm. Even if the case is that they immitated the game, that is again the parents fault, not the game.

This is absolutely correct in my opinion. Owning a gun is a serious responsibility.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It has a tiny contributing factor towards a persons disposition, in reality there are many other factors already mentioned that were and are more important.

Zede

Part of the furniture
But what i am saying is , what they are exposed to today and at an early age is making it FAR FAR worse.

When i was 6, the only toy anyone ever got was Action Man. War, Guns, Death, Violence - we had no choice. Thank Shiva for Star Wars, actually allowing an entire generation of kids to get into something else. At least kids these days have many many choices, and only a % will go down the War & Violence path, where as in the 70s, every kid did. Aged 9, I watched Driller Killer, I spit on your grave, night of the demon, all the sick sick and soon banned betamax vids, and they had absolutely no impact on me at all, and it would be same for almost everyone else.

russell

FH is my second home
I know I should take your word for it, but I am having an extremely hard time believing this. You see, I game. I'm 37. I've been playing violent / weird / quirky / violent / dodgy and violent games since I was 9 years old, and not only have I never killed anyone I also consider myself a (reasonably) normal and well adjusted person. I hold down a job and own a house.

I'm sure that most of the gaming people I know, on this site and in general are more or less like me. I, and they (presumably) haven't killed anyone because I (and they) are not psychopaths and/or do not have COMPLETELY MORONIC IDIOTS for parents who leave loaded weapons in their homes while substituting a gaming console / computer for active child-centric parenting. So.

Actually Teedles you make a lot of sense. I missed out a crucial word some children dont see the difference.

I get your point that most people who game are 'normal';)

The child I am talking about (with the knife incident) is suspected to have had access to these games since he was 4, amongst other things. But there are others -lots of them -maybe it is because of an increase in poorer parenting, shit american tv programs, explicit pop videos, gangsta culture, less family values? i dont know why we have more children acting out these distressing violent behaviours, but it is not just boys being boys.

And we are a similar age:) TDC, so unless you were into some wierd shit- what we were exposed to at a young age is nothing as bad as what is currently bombarding my kids 24/7 (at aged 7 and 10) and yes it is my job, as a responsible parent to filter this and talk to them about it all.

russell

FH is my second home
When i was 6, the only toy anyone ever got was Action Man. War, Guns, Death, Violence - we had no choice. Thank Shiva for Star Wars, actually allowing an entire generation of kids to get into something else. At least kids these days have many many choices, and only a % will go down the War & Violence path, where as in the 70s, every kid did. Aged 9, I watched Driller Killer, I spit on your grave, night of the demon, all the sick sick and soon banned betamax vids, and they had absolutely no impact on me at all, and it would be same for almost everyone else.

Yep -I beheaded my barbies, but I didnt try to behead other kids in my class. This is the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom