Cabling/Connectors required

Kryten

Old Cow.
Hi folks,
Don't normally ask for help (normally trying to give it myself) but I'm in desperate need of some cabling/connectors that a few people here may know where I can get them/get them made.

I have 2 sets of KVM banks (50 slots each) and each slot typically see's around 10 PC's a day. That's a lot of plugging and unplugging for each cable, and naturally pins get broken/bent.

KVM cables are a pain in the arse to replace - especially when they're over 15 metres in length in some cases, cable tied in bundles and then in the racking's cable management system. So, when a pin breaks - it's almost a days work isolating the cable and replacing it. The port saver would stop this - when a pin breaks - saver gets replaced, not the cable.

Now, monitor port saver connectors are easy finds (little 15pin male to female adapters) - but I'm buggered if I can find anything similar for PS/2 connections. There's no mouse involved, only a PS/2 keyboard.
I don't want to use extension cables, as theres already enough of a spaghetti junction to manage.

Now, I've tried everywhere I know - RS Components, Maplins, CPC and a few other various sites, as well as an extensive google search, and can't locate any such connetor or short cable. I've jerry-rigged up a couple by cutting up a ps2 splitter (one ps2 plug to 2) but this is expensive and I've none left to butcher. I also don't have time to manufacturer 150 of them myself.

So, long shot - anyone know who may either stock such an item or would make to order?

Put simply either a very short PS2 extension lead (1 to 3 inches!) or a simple male to female connector.

Cheers

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I guess it never occured to any manufacturer that anyone would want a small stub ps2 female to male connector. I can find loads of male to male and female to female.

The closest to a solution I can come up with is to do something like the following.

Get a 5 PIN DIN (F) - 6 pin PS/2 (M) connector and a 5 PIN DIN (M) - 6 pin PS/2 (F) connector, and plug them together. I'm just not confident that the PS2 ports would take the extra weight.

Or you could do it with PS2 females and PS2 males.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye whipped, pretty much the "last chance" idea I had. Trouble is, doubles the cost, which I can't see my boss agreeing to - even though it's still far cheaper than replacing all the cables.

Can't find anything there suitable Trem but have bookmarked that site nevertheless - looks useful :D

Chilly

Balls of steel
be aware that when replacing connectors on someting like a monitor cable there may be various things to take into account. eg when replacing an rj45 plug on a network cable, to meet the cat5e spec the twisted pairs may only be untwisted for a certain maximum length per metre of the cable else the signal gets mashed up.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Can't really help much. Never had a need before. KVM sits on my desk, only takes 10 and never have more then 8 at once. Privileged life :)

Just a thought, Would a PS/2 to USB converter work, err kinda like (shoots off to google) this Never tried it myself (see above, don't have need) but be interested to find out :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Cheers for the help, I had all the connectors I needed.

You'll obviously know of PS2>USB converters for keyboards and mice and their USB>PS2 counterparts - one of my colleagues found he had a boxful of both of these - connected together, and I have my connecter! Had enough of them including spares to do the job too :D

Have actually spoken to my boss today about setting up a small sideline in manufacturing KVM cable saving equipment. The cables cost a fortune and often a bugger to replace, so I suspect these may sell well.

Kryten

Old Cow.
If both ends were Ps/2 yes, it would have been. I could have acheived the same result as my last post using 2 of those (AT> PS2 and PS2>AT) but didn't have those to hand ;)
Ta anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom