Cable modems and wireless

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
I've been trying to get this working without any joy so its time to ask for help.

My friend and I are both keen gamers and downloaders, we both have cable with ntl, i am on 1mbit service whilst hes on the 600k service. We live in the same street but there is a house in between us. I bought a wireless router and wireless network card hoping that we would be able to fileshare over a lan. I've connected my computer to the router using a wired connection, and i've given him the wireless network card so he can tune into the wireless router in my house, from his. I can set it up so that he shares my internet connection but thats not what we want - we both want to use our current connections to the internet but the router is still sharing mine to my other pc's in my house. He has not got a default gateway entered in his tcp/ip settings yet when im downloading and he is gaming he is getting high pings and vice versa. Does anyone know why this would be?

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
How does he normally connect to his cable modem? Does he have it connected to his home network, or is he using a USB model?

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
hes got the crappy ethernet ntl home modem thing

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Can I just be a pedant and ask, do you live in terraced or semi/detached housing? Because you might just be able to get away with running a cable between your homes, along the gutter (if terraced), or the tip of the roof. Ask your neighbour beforehand, but if its in the gutter, I doubt they'd mind.

D

Deadmanwalking

Why not create two connections?

One is his crappy NTL ethernet internet jobbo. And that is the primary connection as it was for browsing etc. If it requires him to dial up all the better.

And the wireless connection will only be used for the filesharing/games.

Edit: Or bridged connections so that in essence, you are using both connections (if they are always on) and will find the best route/speed.

More then enough bandwidth for everyone :)

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
Unfortunately we dont, we live in detached bungalows, both pc rooms at opposite ends. Its probably only 40-50m away across the gardens and the wireless link works, its just not as strong as it would be side by side. Back when we thought wireless was too expensive we did have a 100m cat5e cable and ran it across but the neighbour in between us moaned a bit and eventually something ate threw it/cut it. It wasnt ideal. I had thought about running the cable in a 15m plastic pipe (like plumbers use) but its just not worth it when wireless is less bother.

It was easier to do then as i was cut off ntl and i leeched off his internet connection but it seems more difficult if you dont want to steal each others bandwidth.

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
Deadmanwalking said:
Why not create two connections?

One is his crappy NTL ethernet internet jobbo. And that is the primary connection as it was for browsing etc. If it requires him to dial up all the better.

And the wireless connection will only be used for the filesharing/games.

Yeah thats what we did have planned and we both have 2 different external ip's etc. on irc, but if i download it effects him, as if we are both leeching off the one connection, its pickled me.

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
SparKeh said:
Yeah thats what we did have planned and we both have 2 different external ip's etc. on irc, but if i download it effects him, as if we are both leeching off the one connection, its pickled me.

I would expect you to use your router/ntl ip as your default gateway, and him to use his NTL USB LAN card to set his default gateway as normal. I'd leave this on DHCP for him. Then set a static IP in his wireless card on the same subnet as you, 192.168.0.x or 10.0.0.x, whatever you're using.

You could then try using the route command to essentially say, if I want to talk to this IP go out this IP/network card.

For him this might be something like
route add -p <your wireless IP> <your wireless subnet netmask> <his wireless IP>

And for you, similar but swopped about. The -p makes it stick between reboots, but you can also but it in a batch file that runs from the startup folder.

Not sure if the route command is only NT4/2000/XP thing.

I'm not a 100% this would work, as I'm just starting at work to have a need to use 'route' on our firewall, so I may be wrong.

D

Deadmanwalking

Quige said:
I'm not a 100% this would work, as I'm just starting at work to have a need to use 'route' on our firewall, so I may be wrong.

Not related i know but.. where DO you work?

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Deadmanwalking said:
Not related i know but.. where DO you work?

For a wonderfully named department of East Sussex County Council, called Corporate Resources Directorate :) I used to work for the Education Department, but when the Tories got the County Council they centralised all IT as a cost savings exercise. Been doing this new job for just over a year now.

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Deadmanwalking said:
Ah Council IT bod eh?

Poor man :( :D

:p

For any Buffy geeks out there which episode had an IT company called CRD as the scene of some demonic goings on? :)

QuarkMan

Fledgling Freddie
How are you getting on with this? If your still having problems let me know, had to do a lot of work with tcp/ip and routing at work and with wireless/lan at home :touch:

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
This is a no brainer, but when you use it and it affects each other have you checked your ip for that connection etc Does the router not have a function to block his ip from the net? Or even using a software firewal to block net traffic from the router?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom