Cable Modem again

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Right so now I'm on cable instead of adsl, and as before I'm wondering if I should buy a new modem.

I'm wondering as I do have one, a cheap Belkin thing, but my ping in CSS is a bit vague, like up and down by about 10 or 15 or so, and I'm seeing some loss.

Would a "better" modem help do you know, anyone? I suspect it would but I dont want to be spending yet more money on stuff I dont need :)

Or should I wait till friday when it's upgraded from 2mb to 10mb, and see how it is then?

Cheers folks :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Are you going through wireless or ethernet? If it's the latter, I doubt you'd see any significant difference (possibly no difference at all) in the ping. If it's wireless there's something to be said for a better quality router, but it's a bit of a gamble.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Or should I wait till friday when it's upgraded from 2mb to 10mb, and see how it is then?

Cheers folks :)

Won't make any difference to your ping luv, not on cable, its a good thing really that you can have bog standard and still get similar ping to the larger speeds.

I went from 2mb up to 10mb and it changed nothing ping wise and I would certainly stick with the VM modem, Belkin have massive AIDS anyway.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yeah it's a Belkin wireless modem, that is normally used for the laptops, but also connects to my pc via ethernet.

Cant say I like cable as much as adsl, but there you go. I tried connecting the pc straight to the virgin box, but for some reason it didnt work at all then, said limited connectivity.

I suspect Nath is right, and I'll keep the Belkin horrible one at the moment.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If you swap it over so it's directly hooked to your PC you'll need to reboot the Virgin box. Worth a try, but not something you want to do long term as you'll have no hardware firewall, you'll be directly hooked to the net which isn't so great as far as security goes.

Trem

Yep, you have to connect the stuff then unplug the VM box/modem for about 30 seconds for it to pick up the new stuff.

Used to be a right ball ache, welcome pages and putting in your account number and stuff before you could go any further but you don't have to do that now.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
OK I'm still getting loss, the ping is fine now, but in css I'm seeing loss flicker from 0 to 5 or 7 and back again - very disconcerting.

I tried plugging directly into the VM box, thanks to your instructions Trem, but it's no go - exactly the same. This inclines me to think that a new router won't help, though I'm still open to suggestions ??

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
its the isp mate, or latency on the server you are connecting to, check your rates in css cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate normal 30000 100 100 apply but you could have joined a server that forced the rates to something more gay thats causing your packet loss

on the ise side it could be a broken router furthr down the line to the server you are connecting to, or virgins routers forwarding on are overloaded

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i got that when they changed my old motorola surfboard for small black cm, called em up about it and the engineer came round with some sinal boosters. stuck one on and it did the trick

Trem

You will get more loss due to the nature of the connection sweetheart.

ADSL is better than cable for this sort of thing, less loss on adsl.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you maon about it you may get an engineer round who can mess with your signal levels. I had this down because of my down and up speeds, but it helped with online gaming as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom