Cable/Broadband

Gray

FH is my second home
Wooo, on a roll making some threads here tonight, this should be my last one. Honest ;)

Anyway. Im on Virgin at the moment on the 2mb option [Medium?] and since ive started to use Torrents a bit more recently i want to see about bumping up my internet speed because it is rather slow nowadays.

Now, im only interested in staying on Virgin for the moment, maybe bumping it up to the [Large] 4mb option but before i even contemplate upgrading the line i need to know a few things.

With such a minor upgrade, will an engineer be required to come out to the house to install/upgrade the line? Its my hope that it SHOULDNT be the case and it can just be done automatically.

And the other thing is at the moment im still using the old NTL/Blue Cable Modem, will that need replacing to help with the upgrade in speed? I was wanting to see about getting a router a few month ago because i got my Xbox 360, and by the end of the year because of new games coming out, i want to see about upgrading my computer wholly, and i dont know if i want a router/new modem to be a part of it if its not required.

Anyway - The reason for the technician call-out etc coming to the house is because of that very nice Box we have for viewing all channels, i dont want Virgin having a hissy-fit over it and dont particularly want to move things around. Im not that good with wires!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Upgrading the speed doesn't need an engineer or any new equipment, they should just flick a switch their end, you reboot everything your end and voila.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You shouldn't need an engineer around, I had one of the very old modems and that was fine a 4meg, it was only when I upgraded to 10meg that the engineer needed to come round, change the modem and get virgin to change some settings their end to get me full speed.

As for the router, if you do not care about wireless then routers are cheap, getting a router will be much less hassle then swapping cables between your 360 and PC.

Gray

FH is my second home
I see that seems okay then for that, but what about capping limits and the like?

One of my friends is one the 20mb [XL] option and he says thats affected by a capping limit in place, i may bring that up but if im doing it online [I think its cheaper?] i probably wont get to ask questions.

Dont want to phone them anyway since O2 have since made all 08xx numbers chargable so they dont get allocated in your minutes no more, so im not keen on using them now, but thats another story ;)

Gray

FH is my second home
Oh upgraded! Suprised how quick it actually went through online, clicked a button and *bam!* already completed. Niiice...

Hope the Torrents are much faster now though!

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
I upgraded from 2M to 20MB with virgin, it was a few clicks of the mouse on their customer center pages, then a the modem rebooted and poof - all done.

Download speeds vary from 2MB to 16MB depending on what im downloading and the time of day, but it was great to download the recently released C&C iso's in about 10m

as for a router, ive got one of them Netgear MAX things, and it works flawlessly with the virgin cable modem (suspect most others will too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom