Bulldog DSL.....

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
.............. rocks!

Just got onto the 2048kbps service, which is slow by their standards, but I'm leeching the UT2k4 demo from the BY FTP at a little over 236 KBps.

Compared to the slower-than dialup connection we had until today this is unbelievable! :eek7:

Xav

Clown

Part of the furniture
I heard they suffer really badly from contention issues. I so wanted Bulldog cuz it's so cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for. I was reading about how slow their service and stuff was... not very good :(

I was going to phone a Bulldog reseller:
http://www.hi-velocity.it
They seem to have better customer service and stuff.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I've had 2Mbit primetime from bulldog since september, and the only major problems I've had were down to netgear not complying with the RFC for PPP!

I love it for newsgroups, I have an account with eurofeeds, and I always get the full 2Mbits!

Clown

Part of the furniture
I doubt that would happen here in London... I swear everyone has ADSL here :(
I wanted that 400kb up too... not interested in all this migration malarky though.

You two, how are your pings in games?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Not had time to play yet, but most of the uk servers I've run a straight ping to are within 30ms

Incidentally, Bulldog do 8Mbps down 400kbps up in London :D

Clown

Part of the furniture
Yeh, I know... teehee. The bandwidth would be useless to me if I can't play games though. I like my 10 ping to (EX)game.net and Jolt :eek:

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Clown said:
I doubt that would happen here in London... I swear everyone has ADSL here :(
I wanted that 400kb up too... not interested in all this migration malarky though.

You two, how are your pings in games?

Errr... I'm in London! I tend to get about 30ms ping to games in Europe, and 90ms to servers in the East Coast, 110 to the west.

400Kb up is lovely, I can P2P & game at the same time!

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hello

I'm in London too at the moment. I'm not sure who the provider is, but it's a 2Mbps shared connection (512Kbps upstream, I think). Actual speeds tend to vary quite a lot, but usually it's very impressive.

Last year was even better as I happened to be in halls, connected to a 100Mbps shared connection. When refreshing server lists in game the latency would be listed as 1ms, and in game usually hovered between 5-7ms in most UK servers. Outside of games, download speeds could reach 2Mbps at best, but were usually lower during the day. I'm not sure what the upload speed was, but I remember hitting 700Kbps+ when uploading some files to a website.

Kind Regards

Jonty ... who's still proud to have 56k at home :D

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Jonty said:
Jonty ... who's still proud to have 56k at home :D

I love you Jonty.

I get 40k connection, which prolly settles at about 3k dl and 1 k up giving me a melting hot 200 ping to our clan server (2XS Games)

l337

:(

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
.Wilier. said:
I love you Jonty.

I get 40k connection, which prolly settles at about 3k dl and 1 k up giving me a melting hot 200 ping to our clan server (2XS Games)

l337

:clap: :clap: :clap:

me too :(

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Clown, I am using Bulldog via Hi-Velocity. They are not well-known as a private user ISP, as their focus tends to be on corporate business. They are a very small operation but you certainly do get personal service (if I lose my connection, I call the sales director and have a grumble at 10:30pm while he's still in the pub :p).

It depends on your tolerance level and technical know-how. If you are not very technical I might advise a larger, more user-oriented ISP, whereas if you understand that things break sometimes, and are happy to do some of the diagnostics and stuff before calling them then they could be for you. They do offer some better contention ratio services for a little bit more dosh.

I actually ended up using them as the sales director championed my cause during my fight to get adsl. I've had a few issues but I'd rather work through them and build a relationship with my isp than start hopping around different providers. I also can tell you that Bulldog are in the process of upgrading some hardware which has caused me a slightly worse ping during the transition than I would normally expect. Usually I get a good steady ping of about 30-35ms to our clan server with multiplay, and the same previously to our old Game.net one.

Good luck whatever you choose, grats to Xav, and :fluffle: for Jonty and Laz(I know your 56k pain :()

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
hehe, I feel for your Wilier :) My laptop supports the v92 standard which helps slightly (connects at 50.6K, as opposed to 48K). At best download speeds are around 4-5K, but usually less. Pings in games range from 180-350. So it's quite a shock to go from that to broadband and back again, but at least it makes me thankful for what I have ;)

Kind Regards

Clown

Part of the furniture
My external v90 USR modem rocked. Connected at 50666, used to ping BW servers for 80! Download speed was like 5kb/s. NTL dialup forever homie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom