Building PC

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Im abit scared about trying to get everything to work on vista, although it should considering how new the components are. Is service pack 1 out yet?

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Im abit scared about trying to get everything to work on vista, although it should considering how new the components are. Is service pack 1 out yet?

I'm running Vista x64... the motherboard has drivers, graphics card has drivers the only thing you need to worry about really is if you use wireless.

I did find some wireless drivers (3rd party) for my wireless card however they were complete junk... in the end I had to buy an access point to wirelessly connect to my router so I could avoid having to install drivers at all.

If you are unsure about whether or not a component has drivers post it here and I'm sure someone will tell you whether or not you'll be ok.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Im gonna be using wireless yeah.. so thats a problem

edit: how hard is all that extra cooling stuff to build ? Im gonna be relying on other people to build it you see

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, a quick, addition to this whole discussion. I really (and i mean really really) need a new rig. But, i have no clue about computers, i turn them on.. and the pixies inside sprincle magical fairydust around which allows me to play games. And i have no geeky friends to do it for me either. So i have to basicly get a pre-made comp. Tbh, all the text is close to giberish for me, and you people seem to know what you are talking about.
Which system will serve me best? Any deal breaking parts that really should be avoided? stuff like that.

Core2Quad Q6600 8MB 4x2,40GHz
GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
MSI P35 Neo-F motherboard (PCI-E, FSB1333MHz, Intel P35 chipset)
Original 4GB DDRII-800 PC6400 RAM DualChannel
Western Digital 500GB harddisk S-ATAII 3Gb/s Fluid
RaidMax Elite Smilodon cabinet low-noise
Rasurbo 530W ATX 17db powersuply

or

GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Asus P5N-E/SLI nForce 650i S-775 MB
G-Skill DDR2 Series 2x2GB RAM
RAID - 2x250 GB Maxtor 7200rpm SATA2
NZXT Hush Silent cabinet
750W Corsair TX CMPSU-750TXEU 140mm

Afran

Part of the furniture
Ok, a quick, addition to this whole discussion. I really (and i mean really really) need a new rig. But, i have no clue about computers, i turn them on.. and the pixies inside sprincle magical fairydust around which allows me to play games. And i have no geeky friends to do it for me either. So i have to basicly get a pre-made comp. Tbh, all the text is close to giberish for me, and you people seem to know what you are talking about.
Which system will serve me best? Any deal breaking parts that really should be avoided? stuff like that.

GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
MSI P35 Neo-F motherboard (PCI-E, FSB1333MHz, Intel P35 chipset)
Original 4GB DDRII-800 PC6400 RAM DualChannel
Western Digital 500GB harddisk S-ATAII 3Gb/s Fluid
RaidMax Elite Smilodon cabinet low-noise
Rasurbo 530W ATX 17db powersuply

or

GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Asus P5N-E/SLI nForce 650i S-775 MB
G-Skill DDR2 Series 2x2GB RAM
RAID - 2x250 GB Maxtor 7200rpm SATA2
NZXT Hush Silent cabinet
750W Corsair TX CMPSU-750TXEU 140mm

First one is better. Mainly due to the manufacturers.

Only thing I'd be wary about is the cases, generally low noise/silent = poor airflow and thus high temperature.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
First one is better. Mainly due to the manufacturers.

Only thing I'd be wary about is the cases, generally low noise/silent = poor airflow and thus high temperature.

Alright, well the low noise thing is basicly a pet peeve of mine. My current comp has had a fooked cpu cooler since i got it (i had no clue it was the cpu fan ofc), and the thing roared like an airplane engine and still do since it would be pointless to change it now. Would heat be an issue, even if i do no over clocking of whatever you people OC? :p

Afran

Part of the furniture
Alright, well the low noise thing is basicly a pet peeve of mine. My current comp has had a fooked cpu cooler since i got it (i had no clue it was the cpu fan ofc), and the thing roared like an airplane engine and still do since it would be pointless to change it now. Would heat be an issue, even if i do no over clocking of whatever you people OC? :p

Heat could very well be an issue even without OC'ing, the card still runs hot. For a good air flow your case will need decent fans and space, fans vary a lot but the more cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air they blow out the cooler your system will be. Obviously good cases can also minimize noise level.

I'd recommend something like this
Thermaltake VA9003SWA Kandalf Aluminium Full Tower - Silver

Afran

Part of the furniture
Gigabyte GA_P35C_DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 & DDR3 Motherboard

got suggested this instead of docwolf's choice, because of ddr3 support... opinions ?

Doc's IP35 would be the better choice.

Although the one you linked has DDR3 support, the timings of DDR3 are high compared to DDR2, while DDR3 has higher speed (MHz) it only out-performs DDR2 ever so slightly.

DDR3 - 1066, 1333, 1600 / 1800 are really expensive and their current performance gains over DDR2 dont make DDR3 a justified purchase.

DDR2 - 1066 MHz is very fast, and cheap now.

Edit:

Blackjack I forgot to mention before, both of your specifications are the GTX - Most of the time, 2x 8800 GT are cheaper than GTX, SLI them and you can get uber performance, while just a single overclocked 8800GT is almost as fast as a GTX.

Also, the nvidia 750i 780i and 790i chipsets are being released soon (~1 month) and will be similar in price to the current ones on the market.

What is your budget? :)

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, but im thinking in the future that could all change

Afran

Part of the furniture
Yeah, but im thinking in the future that could all change

Very unlikely to happen anytime soon, atleast a year before DDR3 out performs DDR2 (in terms of price too) and by then there'll be new chipsets/mobo's.

Getting DDR3 now is a total waste of money.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
If you intend to run Crysis on Very High settings with decent AA, you need a top of the line machine.

"Ultima OC 8800GTX" Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz @ X6950+ 3.30GHz+ Quad Core SILENT DDR2 System is very nice for the price though

wanting to get a new system within about 6 months...tbh this looks uber nice compared to my current system which is as follows.
256mb xfx geforce 7800GT
1GB DDR2 PC3200LL RAM
AMD ATLHON 64 3200 E 512kb cache (clocked at 2.01 GHZ)
ASUS A8N SLI N-FORCE mobo
ENERMAX EG495AX-VE 485Watt PSU
Hitachi Deskstar 160gb 8mb cache serial HD

my system was rather fuckin nice when i got it 2 years ago :(

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Heat could very well be an issue even without OC'ing, the card still runs hot. For a good air flow your case will need decent fans and space, fans vary a lot but the more cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air they blow out the cooler your system will be. Obviously good cases can also minimize noise level.

I'd recommend something like this
Thermaltake VA9003SWA Kandalf Aluminium Full Tower - Silver

Hmm, ok. Changing to that box would mean i can't get it as a pre-assembled one :( i really need to get some geeky friends :p

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Abit motherboards are fucking awful. They (not all, but a fair few) suffer from a double boot syndrome. If you have cold feet about them, check the web. Lots of places review hardware and when I checked, Abit was Teh G4Y!

Power supplies are like your heart. Imagine someone said "ok Mr Succi, you can have the heart transplant to keep you alive. Would you like to pay £30 for the 75 year old's, or £60 for the 25 year olds.

They're both hearts...just one's a little less reliable.

Again, check google for websites regarding power supplies, you'll see millions of people explaining why "that £30 PSU i saw the other day", is made of poor materials, doesn't output the listed power etc etc.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Very unlikely to happen anytime soon, atleast a year before DDR3 out performs DDR2 (in terms of price too) and by then there'll be new chipsets/mobo's.

Getting DDR3 now is a total waste of money.

DDR3 is indeed a waste of money at the moment, also going for that gigabyte board you lose 2 ram slots which means you would have to go 2 x 2gb memory sticks if you want to get 4gb. The problem with that is that 2gb memory sticks don't overclock anywhere near as well as 4 x 1gb sticks.

Stick with DDR2, the peformance is fine and it is 1/4 of the cost of DDR3 for the same performance.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
DDR3 is indeed a waste of money at the moment, also going for that gigabyte board you lose 2 ram slots which means you would have to go 2 x 2gb memory sticks if you want to get 4gb. The problem with that is that 2gb memory sticks don't overclock anywhere near as well as 4 x 1gb sticks.

Stick with DDR2, the peformance is fine and it is 1/4 of the cost of DDR3 for the same performance.

The other advantage is 4 slots mean you can plug in 4x 64mb ram and totally pwn all games!

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Found a place that would allow me to get the cabinet recomended, however... they don't do systems with quad core, only dual cores.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz FSB1333 4MB
GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Galaxy nForce 680i LT SLI FSB1333 DDR2 SATA2 mb
G-Skill 2x2 GB DDR2 PC800 5-5-5-15
Samsung SpinPoint T166 320GB 8MB SATA
Thermaltake Kandalf tower
LC-Power Titan 560W 140mm

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Xp and vista can only make use of 3gb of ram.

4gb to make use of the dual channeling speed pairing doobry, for which i forget the technical name?

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Xp and vista can only make use of 3gb of ram.

4gb to make use of the dual channeling speed pairing doobry, for which i forget the technical name?

The 32 bit version of vista and XP can indeed only make use of 3 gb ram, but both vista and XP 64 bit version can use more then 3 gb.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
The 32 bit version of vista and XP can indeed only make use of 3 gb ram, but both vista and XP 64 bit version can use more then 3 gb.

Ahh ok, so he needs to get 64bit. Is there any performance hit when running 32bit apps on the 64bit platform? Presume some sort of virtual machine emulation going on?

Whats limit for 64bit ram wise?

I could look it all up but just being lazy :)

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Ahh ok, so he needs to get 64bit. Is there any performance hit when running 32bit apps on the 64bit platform? Presume some sort of virtual machine emulation going on?

2^32 = 4,294,967,296 (4 Gibibytes)
2^64 = 1.844674407 x 10^19 (16 Exibibytes)

The reason why XP doesn't make use of all Gibibytes is because it uses extended memory addresses, as do most modern OSes.

Bahumat

FH is my second home

Fucking huge! Dont think of 64 bit as being "double" 32bit...it's much much more.

1BIT to 2BIT lets say allows 1MB RAM. 2BIT to 3BIT allows 3MB RAM.

When you get to 32BIT it allows up to 4GB (different mobo's allow different amounts, but the hard cap is 4gb).

32BIT to 33BIT allows for example, 6GB.

My numbers are all made up (Except 32BIT=4GB). Their is a mathematical term for when something keeps incrementing....

Here is an official diagram I found.

Version............................32bit Limit..........64bit Limit
Windows Vista Ultimate...........4 GB.........................128 GB
Windows Vista Enterprise.........4 GB.........................128 GB
Windows Vista Business...........4 GB.........................128 GB
Windows Vista Home Premium...4 GB.........................16 GB
Windows Vista Home Basic.......4 GB..........................8 GB
Windows Vista Starter............1 GB............................n/a

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom