Building PC

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Okay guys, what your estimation to build a pretty decent PC from scratch (purely whats inside the case).

It will need to run crysis decently and still be nice ready for warhammer. As for graphics card, I don't feel the absolute newest generation is needed, perhaps the slightly older ones which have come down in price.

Hit me

Golly

Fledgling Freddie
400-550 depending

400 for a cheap but GOOD gaming rig

550 for the kind of, 2nd best of everything, setup

if you want the BEST of everything you have to double that figure for 30% tops increase in performance :(

Computer Supplies from Novatech

thanks to English :)

Tinu

Fledgling Freddie
imo best bang for buck regarding gfx is definatly the newly released 8800gt as its close to gtx in performance but half price

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
I was thinking more along the lines of a GTS? I dunno how that compares

edit: prolly gonna spend between 600-800 quid. Big dilema whether to go vista for dx10 also

Tinu

Fledgling Freddie
New Nvidia GeForce 8800GT Surprises | Tom's Hardware
cba to find more reviews but buying a gts in these days is wasting money.
new gts will be comming out as 8800gts 640mb with the new technology as 8800gt just was released with(g92). somewhat fuzzy on when but not before late nov.
also ati is releasing there new tech cards around the middle of this month if you want to wait.
i dont which is why i already ordered my 8800gt.

also id like to point out i have no idea how to type out the technical jibberish in english and for that i am sorry. :p

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Hows this look for you?

stoofsj8.jpg

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
overkill perhaps?:)

my duocore with 4gig ram is plenty atm :p

Overkill? Crysis, UT3, World in Conflict, Gears of War and a good few others all make use of the extra cores. ;)

Not overkill, just sensible planning for next years games that will pretty much require a minimum of 2 cores and be coded to use extra cores for mundane tasks like physics, sound and file control.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
overkill perhaps?:)

my duocore with 4gig ram is plenty atm :p

Also considering an extra 2 cores is only £10 more I think that its worth it!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) £124.99 (£146.86)
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) £135.99 (£159.79)

Tinu

Fledgling Freddie
Overkill? Crysis, UT3, World in Conflict, Gears of War and a good few others all make use of the extra cores. ;)

Not overkill, just sensible planning for next years games that will pretty much require a minimum of 2 cores and be coded to use extra cores for mundane tasks like physics, sound and file control.
According to this atleast crysis demo doesn't benefit from more cores.
No Quad Core Scaling in Crysis?
Maybe its matter of wait and see.

Altough i am getting a quad myself as because of as you said it being more futureproof. And the main reason being that from what ive gathered it benefits and passes e6850 at higher frequencys around 3.5ghz+.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
According to this atleast crysis demo doesn't benefit from more cores.
No Quad Core Scaling in Crysis?
Maybe its matter of wait and see.

Altough i am getting a quad myself as because of as you said it being more futureproof. And the main reason being that from what ive gathered it benefits and passes e6850 at higher frequencys around 3.5ghz+.

Defo using all 4 cores on mine, using the LCD on my G15 keyboard I am showing heavy usage 70%+ on CPU1 and CPU2, 20%+ on CPU 3 and CPU 4. Even if that is just system work being offloaded to the extra cores it is still making the game smoother.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Im thinking crysis in dx10 will rape a 150 quid gfx card

edit: it was the 8800 GTS SuperClocked 640MB GDDR3 that I had my eye on

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
I intend to run it on whatever setting will get me 40~fps in dx10 having spent 600-800 on a pc :p

Im just finding it hard to believe the GT really is that good for the price

Tinu

Fledgling Freddie
Defo using all 4 cores on mine, using the LCD on my G15 keyboard I am showing heavy usage 70%+ on CPU1 and CPU2, 20%+ on CPU 3 and CPU 4. Even if that is just system work being offloaded to the extra cores it is still making the game smoother.
Highly doubt extremetech would simply lie about these results. Maybe you're right about the offload however that wouldn't be called game taking advantage of 4 cores. ;)

Oh and succi you should maybe make some own research regarding gts/gt difference, reviews and such. My own have shown that it's rare for a gts to beat the new gt(8800) .ONLY in high res where 512mb mem aint enough.

Did you even check the review I linked btw? there's lots more out there that will tell you the same. :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Okay, Im convinced now after reading that latest link

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm now I just need to find the GT equivalent in motherboard, cpu, ram, soundcard and storage.

...And then decide whether dx10 justifies fucking around with vista

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I posted you a spec :p I've recently bought all similar components and I've managed to clock my Q6600 to 2.9Ghz stable already. I think it was Anandtech who recently said that the IP35 was one of the best boards available... and it doesn't cost the earth like the new X38 boards.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Hmm now I just need to find the GT equivalent in motherboard, cpu, ram, soundcard and storage.

...And then decide whether dx10 justifies fucking around with vista

Go with Doc's spec as close as you can, I have now built 3 of these beasts and I advised Doc with his build. Suffice to say all the completed builds are awesome, breaking overclocks to 3ghz with absolute ease at which the performance is stunning. With time and effort these quad cores can do 3.4ghz or so with quality cooling, very much worth the time and investment.

As for Vista, I had the 64bit version installed on my new rig and it is bilsteringly fast on this hardware, sadly though Vista is buggy as hell so I moved back to XP until Vista SP1 comes out. DX10 adds some nice things but not enough to make Vista worth putting up with at the moment.

Tinu

Fledgling Freddie
Yea there is people going 3,6k+ with good airflow + thermalright ultra extreme.
G0 stepping.
Im going for p182 above mentioned heatsink aswell as some extra 120mm fans.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
GTS is gay, they aren't gonna support it anymore. GT is better by a long shot and it's the same price/cheaper atm lol

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Doc's looks nice, that extra cooling things scared the shit out of me though.

Why spend that much on a power supply ? There are some 700w ones around 30-40 quid

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Doc's looks nice, that extra cooling things scared the shit out of me though.

Why spend that much on a power supply ? There are some 700w ones around 30-40 quid

You don't want some cheapo powersupply blowing 90% of your expensive components though :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom