BT line mystery

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I've recently moved into a new place and transfered my number from my old place without any problem, but...

The first week the line died, bt engineer came over in 10 minutes reset the line and pointed my modem probably had a fault causing it to trip the phone circuit. I've now got a new 56k modem installed and running (adsl is coming friday).

Today the line drops, so I reconnect and theres no dial tone on the line. Checked the phone line in the other room and same again.

At this point I pulled out the phone in the bedroom which is a crappy old one and after 5 minutes checked the main phone, this time a dialtone was on.

Now either:

A) BT were playing somewhere (this maybe connected with adsl being activated this friday?)
B) Old phone in bedroom had a fault?
C) There's something more serious going on?

For a test I'll keep modem online next two days for a few hours before work and see if it happens again, although it's unlikely the PC could be causing the problem?

Any ideas e.t.c would be apperciated :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
sounds like a loose wire somewhere to me tbh.

Herbal

Loyal Freddie
If your using an extension cable its a good idea to remove it n plug str8 into the wall. Had one go on me last year, the phone upstairs wouldnt dial out even after we'd changed it twice, turns out it was damaged cable on the extension.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
whats the REN count on all the telephone appliances?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I had a similar issue at my folks house - there'd be a dialtone on the phone always, and the internet (ADSL) would sometimes work for hours, then not work, sometimes it would suddenly drop.

The fault was with the phone line connection to the house - a little gray box outside the house which had gotten damp and mouldy.

Took 5 engineers and 20+ phonecalls to BT to finally nail the problem.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Could have been the chaps at the exchange moving you over to ADSL, however the usual fault finding process goes like this:

[1] Unplug everything except one phone in master socket - check it works (incoming and outgoing). If not, try another phone, then call 151 to report a line fault.
[2] Reconnect extension(s) and other phones one at a time and check each in turn for incoming and outgoing calls - calculate your REN as you go, over 3 is bad!
[3] When the ADSL is done (it might be already), try and place the filter between the master socket and any extensions, or place a filter on each directly connected extension, ie: no unfiltered phones connected to the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom