Confused BT Infinity, Fiber and DSLAM installs

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I received a letter from my MP today:

"Dear Big G,

With regards to your recent enquiry regarding the BT Fibre cabinet in Big-G-Ville, initial discussions took place between The Council and BT regarding the sitting [sic] of the new cabinet in Somewhere Road, at which time the council highlighted that this location would be unsuitable due to the restrictions this would place on the footway. There was, however, a grassed area this location where the cabinet could have been located. The council did not refuse permission, and were willing to accept alternative options. This situation was left with BT to consider either the grassed area or alternative locations, but they have not advised us of their decision"

So, the council did refuse permission, regardless of their offer of "other places" but it's not helped that BT checked for other places, didn't find one and then never bothered to feed that back to the council. BT have obviously said "fuck 'em".

I'm going to go back to Openreach directly with this information from the council and get them to:

- advise if the pavement beside P39 is indeed suitable (cannot see why it wouldn't be)
- once confirmed, feed that information back to the council the reason we're cut off from high speed internet is because of the Council's ruling (which we kinda know about already)

Fucking council.

Last edited:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
At least you got a response, that's a big win with Councils/MPs in my experience.

Reading between the lines from your picture the Council probably want BT to clear up the shit patch of ground and BT probably don't want their cabinet there in case some numptie mows it down with a motor.

old.user4556

I've gone back to my MP today with some images of DSLAMs that are installed in my town:

This one is a belter. My local council insisted that my cabinet's DSLAM couldn't go on the pavement, but a couple of miles away reveals this - could it BE anymore on the fucking pavement?? (the PCP is off to the right behind those railings)

DSLAM cab 6.jpg

This is the DSLAM at the start of my estate, again on the pavement:

DSLAM cab 15.jpg

And this is P39, my little lonely cabinet that's already mounted on the pavement, so I don't understand why a DSLAM cannot go beside it:

P39.jpg

So there you have it. My council gave the thumbs up to DSLAM pavement installs elsewhere, but they got their knickers in a twist over P39 which is already on the pavement. What a crock of shite.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Strange. Were there any resident complaints previously?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Does the DSLAM have to sit a certain distance from the main cabinet? They are not together in a lot of pics. All I can think of is that it would be too close to that gate if it has to sit xyz meters away from the main cabinet?

Gups

One of Freddy's beloved
BT could not organise a piss up in a brewery! If you should loud enough they will eventually give you what you need.

Have you considered alternatives ?

Athan

Resident Freddy
Does the DSLAM have to sit a certain distance from the main cabinet? They are not together in a lot of pics. All I can think of is that it would be too close to that gate if it has to sit xyz meters away from the main cabinet?

They can be damned close together. The FTTC cab for my cabinet is within 2m of it. I suspect the reason you see them a bit further off is a combination of things like where they can run power, other pipes/cables already in the way, etc.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The fact probably is BT doesn't want to spend the extra cash to do it, thus it'll remain not done until a later date once all the easier ones are done.

old.user4556

Strange. Were there any resident complaints previously?

Not that I am aware of.

Have you considered alternatives ?

Not yet.

My MP came back to me. He's going to escalate it with the head of planning at my local council with the aim of getting it resolved. Even if they say yes to BT, then it'll be some time before a box actually appears (probably the best part of a year at least).

Gups

One of Freddy's beloved
Not that I am aware of.

Not yet.

My MP came back to me. He's going to escalate it with the head of planning at my local council with the aim of getting it resolved. Even if they say yes to BT, then it'll be some time before a box actually appears (probably the best part of a year at least).

That's for sure even if they agree it it will not happen overnight..... is your area cabled for Vrrgin media ? if it is try that for a year then chuck it out and have BT when its available if you really have to have BT...

Athan

Resident Freddy
They can be damned close together. The FTTC cab for my cabinet is within 2m of it. I suspect the reason you see them a bit further off is a combination of things like where they can run power, other pipes/cables already in the way, etc.
FWIW this is how close they are:

FTTC-Cabinet-proximity.jpg

Nothing residential on that side of the road (it's where the local post office depot is), but the other side is residential.

old.user4556

Gentlemen, we have progress. Received a letter from my MP today:

"Dear Big G,

I refer to our recent correspondence regarding the provision of a BT Fibre Cabinet within Big G land. I am happy to advise that today I was informed that a grass location has been identified by BT for the provision of the necessary box and they are speaking directly with the factor and looking to negotiate a way-leave. On this bases we are hopeful that the siting of the new cabinet will be installed and should allow Broadband upgrading in the next 12 months".

I'd say that's quite a result to go from "never getting Fibre" to "plans to progress and install in the next year".

I couldn't really ask for more than that.

Athan

Resident Freddy
My house-mate is looking to buy a house and take me with her as tenant... and the one she's getting all the paperwork done for now just has to be in a part of Salisbury served by cabinet P1 that currently has no FTTC plans, doesn't it? So I might end up in the same boat as Big G, having to poke at BT, my council, my MP, check if it's included in BDUK etc etc, (n)

Please, God Of The Internets, save me from having to contemplate using Vermin Media (the BT wholesale checked seems overly optimistic about ADSL2+ speeds, so I'm thinking the place has never had DSL active and thus I have no idea what crappy speed we might end up with... I've gotten used to 70+Mbps now, not to mention the 17Mbps up).

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Just tell your mate you don't want to live there if the internet is slow

Embattle

FH is my second home
My house-mate is looking to buy a house and take me with her as tenant... and the one she's getting all the paperwork done for now just has to be in a part of Salisbury served by cabinet P1 that currently has no FTTC plans, doesn't it? So I might end up in the same boat as Big G, having to poke at BT, my council, my MP, check if it's included in BDUK etc etc, (n)

Please, God Of The Internets, save me from having to contemplate using Vermin Media (the BT wholesale checked seems overly optimistic about ADSL2+ speeds, so I'm thinking the place has never had DSL active and thus I have no idea what crappy speed we might end up with... I've gotten used to 70+Mbps now, not to mention the 17Mbps up).
Well your current upload speed will be the best you'll probably get as a download speed :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Oh you poor thing. Jesus, you people don't know how good you've got it.

Gups

One of Freddy's beloved
upload_2013-11-11_8-32-20.png

Working from home sometimes is a bummer

/sorry

Gups

One of Freddy's beloved

to be honest I never use it....

44 Meg is still amazing when you think I used to run home highway with 2 x ISDN (64k) channels and that was 'amazing' ! it wasnt all that long ago really!

Technology is amzing now. Speeds are coming fast

FTTC
FTTC - Eth
FTTP

Its all coming just for you rural people you will need to wait a bit longer...

Broadband > cows

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I used to run home highway with 2 x ISDN (64k) channels and that was 'amazing' !
youngling

I remember the excitement of US Robotics releasing the update that made a 33.6kbps modem into a 56kbps one!

Gups

One of Freddy's beloved
youngling

I remember the excitement of US Robotics releasing the update that made a 33.6kbps modem into a 56kbps one!
Oh yeah I had that too I had a dial up to Barryworld...
BT dial up was great because it was free, but if I was playing on a BW Counterstrike server then I would dial in on BW as gave a better ping.... probably 200-400 ms :)

What I meant by the Home Highway was that that was the first service quoted as being broadband... (fast lol)

old.user4556

HALLE-FUCKING-LUJAH

Both BT cabinets in my estate are due an imminent upgrade! There's markings all over the pavement and "notice of intent" stickers on the lampposts from Openreach detailing where the DSLAMs are going.

Superb.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
HALLE-FUCKING-LUJAH

Both BT cabinets in my estate are due an imminent upgrade! There's markings all over the pavement and "notice of intent" stickers on the lampposts from Openreach detailing where the DSLAMs are going.

Superb.
Welcome to the 21st century.

old.user4556

Tell me about it, the reason it was so delayed was because of 14th century bullshite politics with inept and incompetent local councillors.

Cunt nuggets.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Recently got fibre in my area too.. lived here for 18 months and postcode checker always said "sorry, not available" until the other day I checked and almost wet my self with excitement as it came back and said I could get upto 70mb fibre.

Was straight onto the phone to sky upgrading, just takes 2 weeks to get activated in the cabinet now.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
BT are meant to be rolling out 500mb-1000mb in 2016, can't wait... bit excessive though!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
BT are meant to be rolling out 500mb-1000mb in 2016, can't wait... bit excessive though!
I got 152mb from Virgin and it's enough tbh. No single stream caps it out. And I only have me and the wife to use it. So not like loads of us caning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom