BT Home Hub

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I have BT Infinity and the hub that BT supply is shit, its constantly dropping out and the wifi conection to my tablet and phone has been getting progressively worse. I have moved the wifi band on it too.

I have complained about it but they just make me go through the whole rest procedure.

Can I buy a different router that will work with Infinity (if so please recommend, I don't mind paying extra for a good one) or am I stuck with BT's one

It goes through one of their modem first too

Cheers

Edmond

Just spent 20mins on the phone to BT and they have finally agreed to change it to the new hub, which does away with the seperate modem too

Would still like to know if I can buy a different one off the shelf though

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If it's like the virgin setup you can use the hub as a modem and then plug a wireless router into it instead of your pc etc.

That's what I did I have a netgear dual band wireless n router which is much better than the virgin super hub

Edmond

I have just noticed that BT are only sending me a replacement Home Hub 3, not the new 5, which is not what I wanted :mad:

I have managed to pick up a new one off Amazon (private seller) for £30, so I will see how it goes

If it's like the virgin setup you can use the hub as a modem and then plug a wireless router into it instead

The current one has a modem too, then the hub goes into that, the HH5 does away with the modem apparently

I'll see how it goes and maybe look at the Draytek one if its still shit

Thanks all

Athan

Resident Freddy
You should be able to use any router that does PPPoE. The box the BT engineer installed that the phone line actually goes into simply spits that out. For the few months I was on FTTC (moved to another house that is on the one Salisbury cabinet not upgraded :-S ) I had the ethernet cable directly plugged into my linux server/router and used PPPD.

PlusNet supplies a 'Technicolour TG582n' that seemed to handle it well enough for the day or so before I switch to the linux machine. This router also does proper bridging/pass through of PPPoE if you're on normal ADSL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom