Bt Hellllppppppp!!!!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Right heres the deal. At work we had a BT box that the main adsl line from the wall went into, from that box we had 4 connections going to other pc's, I'm not sure whether the box is a hub or router or whatever. Anyhoo, the box died on Saturday, I have brought my USB adsl modem in from home connected that up no problem and whacked a line into a hub so that the other pc's are connected.......only they aren't. Can you actually do this or do I need a replacement for the broken box off BT?*

*the problem with this is we weren't meant to have it......officially, one of Lesters deals from the past.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yes you can mate, but it depends how your usb modem works and how you have connected the other pc's.
perhaps it would be wise to post whatever you know about the bt box (that you don't officially have) like a name or number (aka BT-0910 router) it sports? some bright person may be able to advise better then.

Trem

Right the model number is 5861 and the part number is 120-5861-003. Cheers Andrewz0r.

Trem

Oh yeah, the modem I have brought in is connected via usb, the main pc that this connection goes into has a network card. I thought if I connect the modem to the usb then a cable out of the card into the hub that I would be connected on all 6 pc's, but NO! It won't have none at all.

Vae

Resident Freddy
It appears to be a router

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=120-5861-003&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I would think that you need to setup the USB modem on the main computer and enable internet connection sharing. Then all the other computers would need to be configured to share the connection across what I presume is a Lan network with a hub (this is the setup we use in my office).
I'm sure someone here can recommend a replacement router so you don't need to get one from BT. I think there might even be a thread on routers already.

RedVenom

Banned
TdC said:
perhaps it would be wise to post whatever you know about the bt box (that you don't officially have) like a name or number

For serious.

TdC

tremsy, you can make it work with your current config as a quick sollution till you get a new router/dsl modem/thingy...all you need is some fiddling and firewalling software (because you like to be safe)

• connect the nic on the poota with the usb modem to the HUB with the other pootas on
  • assign the nic an IP
  • tell the other pootas that the nic's IP is their "default gateway"
  • install a decent firewall on the poota with modem attached
  • turn on ICS (I presume you're on winXP here)
  • should work now remember to say "thank you tdc and redvenom"

RedVenom

Banned
TdC said:
tremsy, you can make it work with your current config as a quick sollution till you get a new router/dsl modem/thingy...all you need is another network card and some firewalling software (because you like to be safe)

• stick the extra nic in the poota that has the usb modem connected
  • connect the extra nic to the HUB with the other pootas on
  • assign the extra nic an IP

He already has a nic in the machine. Its just ICS and some configuration.

TdC

oh thanks! tis the blessing of never having to use USB than makes the bad :) I'll edit my post.

Trem

Thanks so far Teedles and Redvenom. The network card in the main pc(the one with usb modem on) is saying network cable unplugged, but the motherfucker is plugged in harder than one of Wijs butt plugs. Also how do I assign an ip? Where do I find this bastard thing from?

TdC

running XP as administrator you can pull up properties for your interfaces from the control panel. you can then select the interface you need, right-click and choose properties. then select IP (I'm guessing now - not on windows atm), properties again and you can input TCP/IP stuff like IP numbers, gateways et al.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Remember that officially the line and probably the box will be the property of BT, and its illegal to do work on them (historic reasons to do with exchange engineers being electrocuted by incorrect installations).

I don't think its quite punishable on the same scale as fiddling your electricity meter, but they won't like you messing with their stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom