TV Britain's fattest man

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
The issue itself is simple.

Any psychological or genetic predisposition to overeat will likely be an evolutionary trait relating to the scarcity of sustenance in the past. We are not evolved to live in the conditions to which we are accustomed, this inevitably creates problems. The fact is, if people wish to travel around by car and live/work in 20 odd degree climate controlled boxes, compromises must be made elsewhere. To label obesity as an illness (as Ford Prefect implies by saying he 'treats' these people) is ridiculous.

Compulsive Overeating, Anorexia and Bulimia are often symptons of conditions like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, BiPolar and BiPolar II Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Panic Disorders and Dissociative Disorder. Eating disorders can also be a coping strategy for Social Anxiety Disorder and ASD's. All that is before we even get to the possible physical causes. As I said earlier - narrow minded view point, but if it makes you happy...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, some people still think gay is an illness and some people think ADHD is just "a slow kid". Fatness can eb an illness, or just a lazy f*cker.

Illness or not, what does it really bother you(generic you)?

Actually that prompts a thread.

andeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Compulsive Overeating, Anorexia and Bulimia are often symptons of conditions like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, BiPolar and BiPolar II Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Panic Disorders and Dissociative Disorder. Eating disorders can also be a coping strategy for Social Anxiety Disorder and ASD's. All that is before we even get to the possible physical causes. As I said earlier - narrow minded view point, but if it makes you happy...

Most of those conditions are relatively recent discoveries, one must assume they have existed throughout history and yet it is only the mid to late 20th century in which obesity has become a significant issue.

Why is it an annoyance?

Simply put, the behaviour of the feckless minority costs ordinary people an inordinate sum of money. At a time when university budgets are suffering unprecidented cuts, it is comforting to know that the government will happily piss money away on individuals or groups that will never make any sort of contribution.
If you take the subject of this thread as an example, he effectively steals the income tax contributions of ~25 people on an average salary each year (or did pre-op) and I can't see him working in the future either.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If, (according to your stats), 60% of the pop are overweight and 12-20% obese, then its not exactly the "feckless minority" is it? Its an endemic issue. When more than 50% of the population are overweight, you can't just dismiss the problem as a lack of self-control.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Most of those conditions are relatively recent discoveries, one must assume they have existed throughout history and yet it is only the mid to late 20th century in which obesity has become a significant issue.

Actually, the Ancient Egyptians saw obesity as a severe illness. The Romans saw it as a curse from Venus, which is one of the reasons they approved of vomiting during meals. The Aztecs believed that obesity was supernatural, an affliction of the gods. As every Doctor knows, Hippocrates was aware of sudden deaths being more common among obese men than lean ones as stated in his writings. European ideas on obesity (and yours too apparently) originate from the French designer, Paul Poiret who designed skin-revealing clothes for women and who decided that obesity was extremely unfashionable and ugly.

Every civilization has had obese people – in societies where conditions where difficult, these people often died due to the calorie intake required couldn’t be met. In other societies, the obese were respected as powerful and wealthy.

In short - it has always been an issue, just as all of the condtions listed in my post above have.

andeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Actually, the Ancient Egyptians saw obesity as a severe illness. The Romans saw it as a curse from Venus, which is one of the reasons they approved of vomiting during meals. The Aztecs believed that obesity was supernatural, an affliction of the gods. As every Doctor knows, Hippocrates was aware of sudden deaths being more common among obese men than lean ones as stated in his writings. European ideas on obesity (and yours too apparently) originate from the French designer, Paul Poiret who designed skin-revealing clothes for women and who decided that obesity was extremely unfashionable and ugly.

Every civilization has had obese people – In other societies, the obese were respected as powerful and wealthy.

In short - it has always been an issue, just as all of the condtions listed in my post above have.

note: significant

I'm not suggesting obesity itself is something new, more that the (if you believe the statistics, ever increasing) percentage of overweight people is. The conditions you quote surely cannot explain this increase?

"in societies where conditions where difficult, these people often died due to the calorie intake required couldn’t be met."

The energy requirements to survive and those to feel satisfied are likely to differ.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
note: significant

I'm not suggesting obesity itself is something new, more that the (if you believe the statistics, ever increasing) percentage of overweight people is. The conditions you quote surely cannot explain this increase?

"in societies where conditions where difficult, these people often died due to the calorie intake required couldn’t be met."

The energy requirements to survive and those to feel satisfied are likely to differ.

Increased population / increased chances of survival explain the increases in cases of obesity, nothing more. More importantly, in some physicological conditions like Hypothyroidism and Cushing's syndrome, poor protein uptake can lead to weight gain, but it can also lead to kidney and liver dysfunction if insufficient protein and carbohydrates are taken.

With a tumour on the Hyperthalmous, weight gain can occur with very little food intake at all, and with a poor diet, an individual can gain weight and literally starve to death at the same time.

Things are not always as simple or as straight forward as they appear and the kinds of assumptions you are making arn't helpful, infact (and I don't mean to cause offense here), they come across as a little ignorant.

andeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Increased population / increased chances of survival explain the increases in cases of obesity, nothing more. More importantly, in some physicological conditions like Hypothyroidism and Cushing's syndrome, poor protein uptake can lead to weight gain, but it can also lead to kidney and liver dysfunction if insufficient protein and carbohydrates are taken.

With a tumour on the Hyperthalmous, weight gain can occur with very little food intake at all, and with a poor diet, an individual can gain weight and literally starve to death at the same time.

Things are not always as simple or as straight forward as they appear and the kinds of assumptions you are making arn't helpful, infact (and I don't mean to cause offense here), they come across as a little ignorant.

So let's say, hypothetically, motor vehicles and climate controlled environments disappeared overnight, and each person just happened to adhere to an optimal diet and partook in physically exerting activities. According to your previous statement, this prevalence of obesity would remain constant.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
So let's say, hypothetically, motor vehicles and climate controlled environments disappeared overnight, and each person just happened to adhere to an optimal diet and partook in physically exerting activities. According to your previous statement, this prevalence of obesity would remain constant.

No it would decrease - as I have said time and time again in this thread, I am not defending anyone, and yes there are people who simply overeat for no particular reason at all.

What I AM saying, is that placing blame everywhere is unhelpful and makes unfounded assumptions. I don't have a weight problem, but I do have Aspergers Syndrome, and from time to time my behaviour can be, shall we say - a little different. For reasons I can't be bothered to go into, it would be easy for people to make similar unfounded assumptions about myself and my behaviour, but thankfully we live in a society where the majority of people are becoming a little more open minded before they play judge and jury.

andeh

One of Freddy's beloved
No it would decrease - as I have said time and time again in this thread, I am not defending anyone, and yes there are people who simply overeat for no particular reason at all.

What I AM saying, is that placing blame everywhere is unhelpful and makes unfounded assumptions. I don't have a weight problem, but I do have Aspergers Syndrome, and from time to time my behaviour can be, shall we say - a little different. For reasons I can't be bothered to go into, it would be easy for people to make similar unfounded assumptions about myself and my behaviour, but thankfully we live in a society where the majority of people are becoming a little more open minded before they play judge and jury.

but..

"Increased population / increased chances of survival explain the increases in cases of obesity, nothing more."

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
but..

"Increased population / increased chances of survival explain the increases in cases of obesity, nothing more."

...in cases of obesity with a physiological, nuerological or mental health cause. I apologise for being unclear.

andeh

One of Freddy's beloved

Can't help but think obesity becoming more acceptable would be setting a dangerous precedent. The prevalence of obesity is increasing, can the same be said about the psychological (or otherwise) causes of obesity? Personally I feel disinclined to believe there exists a linear relationship between the two.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
The prevalence of obesity is increasing, can the same be said about the psychological (or otherwise) causes of obesity? Personally I feel disinclined to believe there exists a linear relationship between the two.

As a professional in the field with over ten years of experience, I can assure you that a relationship does exist. The increase in cases of mental health issues and devlopemental issues is on the rise year on year slightly above population growth. Obesity has a higher curve granted, but only marginally.

I agree, obesity isn't healthy, but it also isn't a black & white issue. Their are many causes and many of them cannot easily be overcome, and certainly not with simple will power. At present, this area is actually one of the highest funded areas of research and one that is advancing much slower than most due to the complexity of these condtions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom