Bought myself a present!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
lol no doubt it will all break, but I've just ordered the following;

1x Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156)

1x Lian-Li PC-P50B Armoursuit Midi Tower Case - Black

1x Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard

2x Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

1x Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 High Performance CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/1155/1156/1366/939/AM2/AM2+)

1xLiteOn IHAS324-32 24x DVD±RW ReWriter SATA - (Black) Retail

Came to £500 including next day delivery (well, Friday!)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Awesome, I wish I could justify expenditure of that kind on a new box however my Q6660 will have to keep ticking along for now.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
yarp, its my big PC splurge
last one was 1,700, lasted me 3.5 years, this once should last me about 4 years, hopefully

just wish they would hurry up and ship it :(

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Funnily enough I had a bit of a clear out over Christmas and came across the invoice for my current box which is now just over 3 years old. All things being equal I think it's holding up fairly well mostly thanks to Win7 running faster than Vista and me ordering it with 4gb RAM.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
my current one :

e6850
gtx 260 oc
8 gig ram

etc

canabalising it for mates, to offset new one a bit :D

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Mine is well under that spec anyway. Clearly I'm going to have to make it stretch a while longer :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
My graphics card upgrade for a £100 notes middle of last year made my pc like new again. And mine is worse than yours on paper meg.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I may have to do that at some point. At the moment it runs things fine as I'm only playing Trek Online. The 8800 won't hold out forever though!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yeah the Q6600 is what I currently have. Selling Q6600, asus p35 p5k mobo, 4gb RAM, dvd rw, ocz 550w psu, case, 19inch flatscreen and 250gb hdd to my bro for £180 which knocks a nice chunk off the upgrade :)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Bahumat, can I ask why you didn't got for the sandybridge i5's?

I've just ordered an i5 2500k, Asus P67 Pro Mobo, and 8gigs of dual channel DDR3...oh and a 60gb SSD. :) (just don't tell the missus!)

There's a bit tech review here that tells you why the new sandybridge's, particularly the i5s, are so damn fantastic. They managed to clock it up to 4.9ghz (from 3.3) on fairly average coolers (corsair H50). In theory the chip will go as high as 6ghz but you'd better be packing some liquid nitrogen round that puppy before you boot!

- English -

Resident Freddy
the card on the pc ive been using has decided to want to overheat when playing some games .. tho its only a radeon 3500 series. Dont really wanna pay thousands for another pc which i will never maximise the potential til, due to not playing any high end games anymore. Got a spare 8800gts at home which i hope can prolong the life for another few years or so :p

Bahumat

FH is my second home

I've just ordered an i5 2500k, Asus P67 Pro Mobo, and 8gigs of dual channel DDR3...oh and a 60gb SSD. :) (just don't tell the missus!)

There's a bit tech review here that tells you why the new sandybridge's, particularly the i5s, are so damn fantastic. They managed to clock it up to 4.9ghz (from 3.3) on fairly average coolers (corsair H50). In theory the chip will go as high as 6ghz but you'd better be packing some liquid nitrogen round that puppy before you boot!

I was tempted, but the upgrade cost started to get a bit silly lol. I was contemplating tri-channel ram, but thought "Calm yourself Bahumat, don't spend silly money" lol

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Awesome, I wish I could justify expenditure of that kind on a new box however my Q6660 will have to keep ticking along for now.

Same, 6 more months for my Q6600 at least before it gets replaced with an i7 2600K. Really I could stretch it another year or two, PC gaming is stuck in 2007 and not moving on anytime soon.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
My rig is only about a year old now and still running beatifully, I am packing

Phenom X2 550 BE
8Gb Patriot RAM
Radeon 5850
Asus Mobo (I forget the model number, was only 40 notes though)
various HDD's (still want to add 2 Velociraptors in RAID 0 - SSD's are for queers)
SB XiFi Xtreme Audio

Running Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition. Don't really game on it that much (that's what the PS3 is for, silly), but it is great for some of the VMware based stuff I do for work. Think total build cost was around 650 re using some old stuff, got it very cheap, but then I work for a PC Manufacturer, so I had some words in some ears :) We're just launching our Sandybridge line ourselves, no mad overclocking (we sell to the public sector, where there isn't really a market), however the new chips are excellent by all accounts.

However for my next build I'm going Xeon with a decent Intel Workstation board, as I have spent the last 2 and half years consulting on everything Xeon based and I think it's about time I practiced what I preach.

Oh and I forgot, I have the best keyboard ever. It is an IBM Model M that I rescued from my old PS/2 and it's great, proper clicks, removable key caps - I've even still got the old Lotus 1-2-3 3.1+ (for DOS, natch) keyboard overlay on it. No windows key, and it's PS2 (obviously), but it fucking rocks, and I am going to keep it for ever.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh and I forgot, I have the best keyboard ever. It is an IBM Model M that I rescued from my old PS/2 and it's great, proper clicks, removable key caps - I've even still got the old Lotus 1-2-3 3.1+ (for DOS, natch) keyboard overlay on it. No windows key, and it's PS2 (obviously), but it fucking rocks, and I am going to keep it for ever.

I have two of those indestructible IBM keyboards in the loft. The best keyboard ever built in my opinion. Shame they don't make them anymore with a Windows Key and USB.

Embattle

FH is my second home

Some info from ASUS testing:

The results below are based on the range of the CPU turbo multiplier when overclocking.

Results are representative of 100 D2 CPUs that were binned and tested for stability under load; these results will most likely represent retail CPUs.

1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz

2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz

3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

Additionally it is recommended to keep 「C1E」and「EIST」option enabled for the best overclock scaling. This is different than previous Intel overclocking expectations where the best scaling was with disabled power states or power management options.

I was so tempted but it would of been stupid since I've got:

ASUS P6T Deluxe
Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 GHz
6GB Corsair DDR3
Nvidia 580GTX
120Gb OCZ SSD
1TB F3 Samsung

The main benefit for me would of been slightly higher OC and some great power savings, but that wouldn't of been enough to justify me spending £600. I'll wait and see the LGA2011 based processors due out later this year which is the real replacement for the i7 900 range.

If you are buying now it is well worth buying one of the new K series sandybridge processors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom