Boris' Folly?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Why should someone with a badge be exempt from paying like everyone else?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Why should someone with a badge be exempt from paying like everyone else?

Simple, one of the criteria for a blue badge is not being able to walk more than 100 metres without severe discomfort, therefore you have no choice but to drive. For that reason I also think that blue badge holders should get VAT free fuel for there vehicles.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
This has happened to me btw;

At work im a first aider and someone fell ill, it was quicker for me to take them to A&E than wait for an ambulance so we drove there the member of staff couldnt walk too far, so surely i should have been exempt from paying for parking too?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hospital parking in the UK is a joke. The last thing you need when you want to see a relative is high parking charges. We pay for the NHS in our taxes and this measure disproportionately hits the poor at a time when they're feeling the most vulnerable.

Daddy's had a heart attack? Pony up cash just to see him you fuckers :eek:

The Libconeral Party needs to ditch charges as part of their spending review. I'm sure there's a lot of stupid things that the government can cut instead...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This has happened to me btw;

At work im a first aider and someone fell ill, it was quicker for me to take them to A&E than wait for an ambulance so we drove there the member of staff couldnt walk too far, so surely i should have been exempt from paying for parking too?

Work should have reimbursed you for any costs you incurred. If they didn't then they're arseholes :)

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
luckily i got away with it ;)

Ive had loads of parking tickets while out in my van for work, at least 95% of them my own fault haha

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Simple, one of the criteria for a blue badge is not being able to walk more than 100 metres without severe discomfort, therefore you have no choice but to drive. For that reason I also think that blue badge holders should get VAT free fuel for there vehicles.

If the blue badge scheme is abused, just imagine how much the VAT-free fuel scheme would be.

I'm not offering that as an argument against such a scheme, as it seems like a good idea to me, but you can see it...

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
If the blue badge scheme is abused, just imagine how much the VAT-free fuel scheme would be.

I'm not offering that as an argument against such a scheme, as it seems like a good idea to me, but you can see it...

Everything is abused :p The dole, sick pay, disability pay, disabled badges, disabled cars.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

I think this sort of thing was a lot of the thinking behind ID cards. It'd be easier for a government to introduce stuff like VAT-free fuel for disabled people if they had to present an ID card on payment.

However, the Labour government was so fucking dumb they couldn't see the very reasonable objections to it which should have killed their thinking in the bud - before they'd even proposed it. :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yeah but its easy to fill a car up with VAT-free fuel, and then syphon it off into another car. No ID card will ever stop that.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
One thing we had going on at work was people filling their cars up with the red diesel for the buses. Stupid really cause everything is recorded so EMs can see right away that the fuel has gone down and its easy to catch people just dip their fuel tanks

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Actually the fair structure in London is fairer IMO. If you go over the price of a daily bus pass on your oyster, then it will only charge you the price of the pass, not each individual journey. £2.50 for 2 hours, or £4 for a whole day?

Well it was $6 for a whole day ticket so its about the same

Well the oyster card is pretty good then, despite having grown up 45 mins from it i never go to go London myself. Is the whole system on oyster card now?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah but its easy to fill a car up with VAT-free fuel, and then syphon it off into another car. No ID card will ever stop that.

Yes, completely.

It is part of the "fucking dumb"ness that Labour never considered stuff like this IMHO :)

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget

Well the oyster card is pretty good then, despite having grown up 45 mins from it i never go to go London myself. Is the whole system on oyster card now?

Near enough, there are still a few overground routes that arent but they are trying to push the oyster onto National Rail now

Which suites me i get all travel in London for free on my Oyster :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

Nearly all of National Rail is on oyster now, only the odd few stations that are not - and only because they have no barriers installed yet. So tube, train and bus are covered.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
There's no such thing as a bus that runs on natural gas with zero emissions. :p

Hydrogen gas?

A quick look on the internet says your correct, but i could have sworn they said it was zero emmisons.

I doubt they were running on hydrogen gas, LPG is huge in Australia tho, and that has a very low carbon output, burns hotter too!

Anyway, still a better system :p

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Nearly all of National Rail is on oyster now, only the odd few stations that are not - and only because they have no barriers installed yet. So tube, train and bus are covered.

Nice i wasnt aware they had managed National Rail. I know the Overground route is due to now being part of the underground but not further out

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hydrogen gas?

A quick look on the internet says your correct, but i could have sworn they said it was zero emmisons.

I doubt they were running on hydrogen gas, LPG is huge in Australia tho, and that has a very low carbon output, burns hotter too!

No, hydrogen-powered vehicles use more energy than petroleum powered vehicles.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

But unless you're central London, it's still a waste of time. I live in zone 6, at a busy station. We have Oyster cards, but I'd still have to buy a ticket every day, which completely defeats the point of getting one.

That is if you don't use buses, like me.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

I'm not sure whether LPG is a red herring tbh. When burned it produces about half the amount of carbon monoxide but I'm not sure how much less CO2 it produces, or indeed carbon emissions overall.

1 litre of LPG gets you about 75% of the distance of one litre of petrol so unless the carbon savings are quite considerable then LPG will struggle.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if in 20 years we find out that LPG isn't a solution to carbon emissions at all, and is just an exercise by the oil industries in how to capitalise on the uncertainty (that they create) around global warming :(

(I'd figure it out myself if I could remember my organic chemsitry properly!)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes it's annoying you can't buy an Oyster National Rail only season ticket...you still have to have buy regular card ticket unless you get a travelcard.

I don't need to use tubes or a bus that often so a travelcard is pointless...

I guess they will get there eventually.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, hydrogen-powered vehicles use more energy than petroleum powered vehicles.

And nobody makes an economical one either.

But the plus side of combining hydrogen with oxygen is that it produces water, not carbon emissions :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
But unless you're central London, it's still a waste of time. I live in zone 6, at a busy station. We have Oyster cards, but I'd still have to buy a ticket every day, which completely defeats the point of getting one.

That is if you don't use buses, like me.

Eh? It's pay as you go on national rail within zones 1-6 now.....

Has your station not been activated for pay as you go yet? All the stations around here are, and they are zones 4 and 5.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I liked the idea someone in here brought up earlier about subsidised taxis and reducing the level of access on buses. As always, though avenues for abuse plus the admin burden placed on taxi firms having to claim back money etc.

Hrm.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Eh? It's pay as you go on national rail within zones 1-6 now.....

Has your station not been activated for pay as you go yet? All the stations around here are, and they are zones 4 and 5.

No, virtually none of the stations on the SW Trains lines have this yet. Only the ones closer in to London.

rynnor

Rockhound
Fair enough, however my wife uses the Jubilee line every other week, and most of it is accessible and she is a wheelchair user. Also bear in mind that they will be focusing on the upcoming paralympics.

Victoria lines deep though - I cant see it ever being very wheelchair friendly unless you want to go from one end to the other - the rest of the line will never have disabled access.

rynnor

Rockhound
Oh and on disabled spaces - in my experience the biggest abusers of these spaces are old people who can walk perfectly well - they seem to view it as an entitlement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom