Boosting Virgin broadband

russell

FH is my second home
Is there any way to boost my virgin hub router thingy. Its pants as you can only get a connection downstairs and I have to use 3g upstairs. Rah

Aada

Part of the furniture
Is there any way to boost my virgin hub router thingy. Its pants as you can only get a connection downstairs and I have to use 3g upstairs. Rah
Honestly the only thing to do is get a router and set the virgin hub to modem mode.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Yeah do what I do, buy a decent router and plug the Virgin router into that, then the second router will be the one sending out the wireless (as well as the Virgin hub but you just choose the second router).

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Surely Virgin can't expect all there hub's to be that shit. You literally have to be in the same room to get a signal, the minute you go out in the kitchen or upstairs its gone

Trem

They are painfully shit Edmondo, Super Hub my arse.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ours was like that, but for some reason now it's ok, the laptop downstairs is fine, with the router upstairs.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ours is poop really. I know the house has thick walls but there's no watching telly downstairs on any mobile devices in a decent resolution...

Trem

Also, like Throd says, if the router is upstairs that also improves things, the wifi rays fall like an umbrella I was told so the higher up the router is the better the coverage.

Nate

FH is my second home
Also, like Throd says, if the router is upstairs that also improves things, the wifi rays fall like an umbrella I was told so the higher up the router is the better the coverage.
I heard it falls like an elephant trying to sky dive.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
get powerline. I did, it's ace :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Our house is like cryptonite to wireless signals if they are on a different floor. Now I have one of these in the loft and I have 300mb wireless goodness everywhere.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
when they lumped me with the current super craphub, i got a netgear wndr3700 which is now running dd-wrt and its been good so far. apart from the fucking pink led the craphub now emits

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Our house is like cryptonite to wireless signals if they are on a different floor. Now I have one of these in the loft and I have 300mb wireless goodness everywhere.

wow 0o

do birds and small animals burst in to flame when they go near your house?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
soze said:
they are fucking awesome. I installed on in a converted chapel building with 3ft thick stone walls and it solved all the WiFi problems.

russell

FH is my second home
Is there not just something that I can plug in upstairs into a socket? Someone called Bob said I could program the code into it and then get wifi upstairs!

soze

I am a FH squatter
You can add a Access point upstairs connected via power line. Or you can try to find a power line adaptor that has wireless built in. Another option would be an access point upstairs that has a repeater mode to extend your existing wireless but you will need some signal upstairs for this to work.

russell

FH is my second home
You can add a Access point upstairs connected via power line. Or you can try to find a power line adaptor that has wireless built in. Another option would be an access point upstairs that has a repeater mode to extend your existing wireless but you will need some signal upstairs for this to work.

You what...WHAT?? This sounds good.. but speak slowly -I am female and thick:(

russell

FH is my second home

ileks

Part of the furniture
This has good reviews -does it plug into my hub or my laptop or what?:sick:

It's a wireless adapter that you plug into your computer. If your laptop already has a good adapter card inside it it probably won't help. The one I had (for a desktop) was really old and crap so it could only be improved.

soze

I am a FH squatter
A Wireless Access point is just as it sounds. It creates a wireless network where ever you place it. You can use power line adapters which sent wired networking through your homes power so they will let you run the network through your power to a point on a different floor where you then set up the Access Point.

Alternatively if you have at least some wireless signal upstairs you can use your Access Point in Repeater mode which means it picks up and extends your existing wireless network. This may be easiest as it will extend the same network name and passkey. But you may need to try and make sure you have the same brand to ensure compatibility.

russell

FH is my second home
Thank you boys -now I get it! Am totally think with all technical things and they have just made me ICT Co -coordinator at School. HAHAHAHAHA!

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Got given one of the 'Virgin Superhubs' was a bit sceptical, but works a treat in my house, a bit too well managed to pick up the signal 20-30ft from my house, yet my Bathroom you don't get much or no signal. I use a Powerline into my office upstairs so I don't have to worry about Wireless latency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom