Books Books Books

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Cadiva said:
I take it you meant literature. Perhaps you ought to make sure you're using the right word before you try to throw out smart ass replies.

Literacy is exactly what I meant.

There are children in Africa desperate for education, and here you are wasting it on the autobiography of Robbie "I'm not gay" Williams.

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
Escape said:

There are children in Africa desperate for education, and here you are wasting it on the autobiography of Robbie "I'm not gay" Williams.

What the hell has the children in Africa having to do with tears asking for a good book?

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Escape said:

I'm not wasting anything. I don't have a closed mind, I like to read all sorts of things and whether or not you agree with the subject matter is, frankly, irrelevant.

As for children in Africa being unable to read, I donate my old books to the Lions Club, an international fund raising organisation which sells them on and then sends money and educational material to Africa, amongst other places.

So, to turn to the relevant, children in Africa will benefit from me reading Robbie Williams' autobiography.

Gamah said:
Great come back :(

It's not a comeback, it's a statement. If you think throwing insults at people you have no knowledge of is somehow big and clever you need to grow up.

Biohazarddk

Loyal Freddie
Dunno if already been mentioned, but The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons and the 3rd Dan Brown book, they're all very good =)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Cadiva said:
If you think throwing insults at people you have no knowledge of is somehow big and clever you need to grow up.
gamah pwned :(

but i do agree, i wouldnt let that filth (robbie williams tat) in the house

Tilda

Gamah and Escape chill the hell out.

I'd agree with anything by Robin Hobb, I love his stuff.
Theres a trilogy of books called "Lariel, Sabriel and another one" they are ace too.
And to add a less fiction book, Gulag is a great book.

Tild

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Graham greene - The quiet american
Jack Kerouac - On The Road
Martin Amis - Other people
J G Ballard - High Rise ( or Concrete Island )
Don Delilio - Libra
John Steinbeck - The Grapes of wrath

Those are my all time favourites :)

Gamah

Banned
Cadiva said:
It's not a comeback, it's a statement. If you think throwing insults at people you have no knowledge of is somehow big and clever you need to grow up.

If you think we give a shit what you say, you need to get a clue? Why do I care what some old man who has nothing better to do than browse a net forum thinks..

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Gamah said:
If you think we give a shit what you say, you need to get a clue? Why do I care what some old man who has nothing better to do than browse a net forum thinks..
i think his post count is ever so slightly less than yours :/ shouldnt you be down the skatepark or hanging around outside your local happy shopper, or whatever the fuck the "yoof" of today do (no i dont mean that just lowering myself to your level :))

more importanly what is a 21 year old doing spending all his time posting on an internet forum?

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
i think his post count is ever so slightly less than yours :/ shouldnt you be down the skatepark or hanging around outside your local happy shopper, or whatever the fuck the "yoof" of today do (no i dont mean that just lowering myself to your level :))

more importanly what is a 21 year old doing spending all his time posting on an internet forum?

Sry gamah but u just been pwned royaly lol :D

Ezteq

Queen of OT
sorry havent read the rest of the replies but some i enjoy are:

dean koontz frankenstein, this turns out to be a 3 parter (possibly more) i read the 1st one was really looking foward to book 2 which i got for my birthday and was great and then to my horror it doesnt end there! so have to wait for the next to come out.

atm am reading to kill a mocking bird and from what ive read so far its really really good, the antics of the children are great and its written brilliantly.

if (like me) books that are atmospheric and make you feel like your there are up your street then john grisham is another fave of mine, his law books may or may not be of interest to you but one of his which i read not long ago was called a painted house and i can not praise it enough its beautifully written (not gushy in any way shape or form) and is about a year in the life of a little boy and how he see's things in arkansas in the 40's or 50's its set and its very amusing and brilliant.

hope you have a great birthday Tea, cant believe your older than me! i thought i was the old goat around here :D

:clap:

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
http://www.johnconnollybooks.com/

http://www.harlancoben.com/

My 2 current favourite authors of Thriller/Suspense/Detective type books - the John Connolly Charlie Parker series are the best of the genre I have read tbh - and anything by Harlan is very very good as well - his Myron Bolitar series are very funny in parts as well I find..

Lotsa could recommend on different types of books but I guess it more depends on what types of book you like to begin with tbh.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Gamah said:

And yet you choose to reply once more to a post I've made.

Your reading skills are also sub par as I'm neither old or male and, last time I looked, you were also browsing a net forum and throwing out your 'opinions' along with the petty insults.

DaveyJones

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
I'd agree with anything by Robin Hobb, I love his stuff.
Theres a trilogy of books called "Lariel, Sabriel and another one" they are ace too.
And to add a less fiction book, Gulag is a great book.

Tild

Robin Hobbs a woman but yea her books are very good;p
Bernard Cornwalls series about Uhtred is also a very good read, also Gareth Nix is a decent author.

Infact most of Bernard Cornwall series are worth a look and Neil Gaman, American Gods is very good.

DaveyJones

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:

Is that the royal we?:p

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
Peter Ustinovs biography - the gift of laughter, by John miller is good

Zenith

Part of the furniture
If you have not read them, you just have to read the books of Wheel of Time, Robert Jordan. Some of the best fantasy books ever.

And as have been said before, Pratchets Discworld is great.

All David Eddings books are good too

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
The "Song of Ice and Fire" series is a class above random fantasy titles! An epic war is brewing and you follow events through the eyes of characters on every side of the conflict. There no heroes or villains, only people you like or hate.

The "Malazan Book of the Fallen" is truly epic in scope. It takes place in different ages and realms, making it harder to follow than your average fantasy tale. There is so much happening, a short summary will not do it justice so I'll just say; massive battles, characters with insane powers, dark humour and a story which has kept me interested after 3500+ pages over 5 books (I normally have a short attention span!).

:worthy:

By far the most intelligent fantasy books around atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom