Books Books Books

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Turning 32 in a few weeks (fuck im getting old) so in preparation for the "what do you want" phone calls - any one out there have a burning desire to recommend a good book :) ?

Only requirement is not one of those women slushy romance things :)

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Quite possibly the best series of books i have read are the Chronicles of the Raven.

http://www.jamesbarclay.com/

The plots are brilliant the characters are great :)

I ve read the first trillogy and am making my way through the second. The 1st book (dawnthief) is quite hard to tget into but once ur past the 1st 2 chapters ur addicted hehe.

Hf m8y,

Ad

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Velocity - Dean R Koontz

Billy Wiles is an easygoing, hardworking guy who leads a quiet, ordinary life. But that is about to change. One evening, after his usual eight-hour bartending shift, he finds a typewritten note under the windshield wiper of his car: If you don't take this note to the police and get them involved, I will kill a lovely blond schoolteacher somewhere in Napa County. If you do take this note to the police, I will instead kill an elderly woman active in charity work. You have six hours to decide. The choice is yours.

It seems like a sick joke, and Billy's friend on the police force, Lanny Olson, thinks so too. His advice to Billy is to go home and forget about it. Besides, what could they do even if they took the note seriously? No crime has actually been committed. But less than twenty-four hours later, a young blond schoolteacher is found murdered, and it's Billy's fault: he didn't convince the police to get involved. Now he's got another note, another deadline, another ultimatum...and two new lives hanging in the balance.

Suddenly Billy's average, seemingly innocuous life takes on the dimensions and speed of an accelerating nightmare. Because the notes are coming faster, the deadlines growing tighter, and the killer becoming bolder and crueler with every communication — until Bill is isolated with the terrifying knowledge that he alone has the power of life and death over a psychopath's innocent victims. Until the struggle between good and evil is intensely personal. Until the most chilling words of all are: The choice is yours.

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Not to sound geeky, but the Terry Pratchett Discworld books are a great read! Funny and compelling :worthy: The Colour of Magic was such an amazing debut book!

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
The Baroque Cycle - Neil Stephenson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque_Cycle

Any Ian Banks or Ian M Banks if you like Sci-Fi

Regular Ian
Dead Air
Wasp Factory
A Song of Stone

Ian M the sci-fi
The Player of Games
Use of Weapons

Kurt Vonnegut
Slaughter-house 5
Cat's Cradle

[slim]

Fledgling Freddie
Just got it but if you like autobiographys, Rik Mayall seems a funny one.
0007207271.jpg

Vladamir

FH is my second home
I hear blonde squirts has been a great hit in the Gamah household, both on book and dvd!.

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
'Louis De Bernieres' series:

The War of Don Emmanuels Nether Parts
Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord
The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman

With The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts Louis de Bernières's sardonic pen has concocted a spicy olla podrida of a novel, set in a fictitious Latin American country, with all the tragedy, ribaldry and humour Bernières can muster from a debauched military, a clueless oligarchy and an unconventional band of guerrillas. There's a plague of laughing, a flood of magical cats and a torture-happy colonel. The cities, villages, politics and discourse are an inspired amalgam of Latin Americana, but the comedy, horror, adventure and vibrant individuals are pure de Bernières. This masterpiece, the first of a trilogy, is followed by Señor Vivo and the Coca Lord and The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman. --James Barry

Gamah

Banned
Blonde squirts yes..

But Andy Mcnab books are good.
A book I read recently called "weekend warrior" by Kevin J. Mervin ..its the story of a TA solder in Iraq.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840189746/202-2201917-7977452

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/customer-reviews/1840189746/202-2201917-7977452?s=books (as you can see the reviews are good)

Also, "Once a Warrior king" by David S Donovan an american based in a village during the veitnam war..a very good read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-2201917-7977452

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Tears said:
Turning 32 in a few weeks (fuck im getting old) so in preparation for the "what do you want" phone calls - any one out there have a burning desire to recommend a good book :) ?

Only requirement is not one of those women slushy romance things :)

The Bernard Cornwell Viking trilogy rocks, halfway through reading the final book at the moment and totally engrossed.

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
Jeremiah said:
Not to sound geeky, but the Terry Pratchett Discworld books are a great read! Funny and compelling :worthy: The Colour of Magic was such an amazing debut book!

i second that. pratchett has a real talent for writing.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
cHodAX said:
The Bernard Cornwell Viking trilogy rocks, halfway through reading the final book at the moment and totally engrossed.
need to pick that up again, started reading the first one but stopped to read Troy by David Gemmell.

i would say anything by gemmell is pretty good, the drenai series, white wolf, waylander etc.

the Boudica series by Manda Scott is very good, up to its 3rd book now i think, not read the latest yet though.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Hawk of May by Gillian Bradshaw
Kingdom of Summer - Gillian Bradshaw
In Winter's Shadow also Gillian Bradshaw
the three above is a trilogi but also works as stand alone books

The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix

Death gate Cycle series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
warcraft books, i enjoyed everyone i read...

PS. i'm a warcraft universe fan :p

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
You're posting on a MMORPG forum.

:D

I know :D Some people differentiate between playing sci-fi and reading it tho - is it possible to be a geek in a geeks world?

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Jeremiah said:
I know :D Some people differentiate between playing sci-fi and reading it tho - is it possible to be a geek in a geeks world?
We have sub-species, yes.

:D

When I have a moment - have to go do fun things like mowing the sodding garden now (shoots self in head rather than face the horror of gardening) - I'll post up some recommended sci-fi reading.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Raven said:
need to pick that up again, started reading the first one but stopped to read Troy by David Gemmell.

i would say anything by gemmell is pretty good, the drenai series, white wolf, waylander etc.

the Boudica series by Manda Scott is very good, up to its 3rd book now i think, not read the latest yet though.

ROFL, I did the exact same, Troy came halfway through and I am such a big Gemmell fan I swapped over :D Great minds think alike eh? :)

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Fantasy

Robin Hobb's Assassins Trilogy and the Fools Trilogy
Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy
Any Terry Pratchett book
Robert Asprin's Myth Inc series
Eoin Coife's Artemis Fowl books (technically for kids but excellent)
Philip Pulman's Dark Materials trilogy
Louise Arnold's The Invisible Friend (our very own FH Damini's debut novel :) )

Sci-fi/fantasy

Anne McCaffrey's Pern series

Factual

The Kindness of Strangers - Kate Adie's autobiography
Feel - Robbie Williams' autobiography

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Pratchet's books require a certain sense of humour, just don't expect to be blown away!

David Gemmel's books are easy to follow, but mostly repititive. The Lion of Macedon is one of his better ones.

Robin Hobb's Assassin series starts of really well, it's worth reading the first trilogy. The other six books aren't so good :/

Ian Banks and Neil Stephenson's books require a little more attention. Snow Crash has some classic moments!

The "Song of Ice and Fire" series is a class above random fantasy titles! An epic war is brewing and you follow events through the eyes of characters on every side of the conflict. There no heroes or villains, only people you like or hate.

The "Malazan Book of the Fallen" is truly epic in scope. It takes place in different ages and realms, making it harder to follow than your average fantasy tale. There is so much happening, a short summary will not do it justice so I'll just say; massive battles, characters with insane powers, dark humour and a story which has kept me interested after 3500+ pages over 5 books (I normally have a short attention span!).

Cadiva said:
Feel - Robbie Williams' autobiography

Literacy is wasted on you :puke:

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Escape said:
Literacy is wasted on you :puke:

Which is strange considering not only am I fairly well educated but literature is also how I've been making my living for the last 18 years. Through my ability to write and be literate.

lit·er·a·cy (lĭt'ər-ə-sē) pronunciation
n.

1. The condition or quality of being literate, especially the ability to read and write. See Usage Note at literate.
2. The condition or quality of being knowledgeable in a particular subject or field: cultural literacy; biblical literacy.

I take it you meant literature. Perhaps you ought to make sure you're using the right word before you try to throw out smart ass replies.

Gamah

Banned
Cadiva said:
Which is strange considering not only am I fairly well educated but literature is also how I've been making my living for the last 18 years. Through my ability to write and be literate.

I take it you meant literature. Perhaps you ought to make sure you're using the right word before you try to throw out smart ass replies.

No one gives a shit how you make your living, if you recommend a book about Robbie Williams book you're a twat.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Gamah said:
No one gives a shit how you make your living, if you recommend a book about Robbie Williams book you're a twat.

Grow up.

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
Gamah said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gamah again.

:(

soze

I am a FH squatter
I only read two autors Andy McNab and Chris Ryan there books are good and easy to read. But it depends if you like war type books.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Gemmel is good, if you like fantasy combined with intrigue get them to look for books in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series (first book is Gardens of the Moon) but be warned they are extremely convoluted and kinda hard to follow if you dont enjoy that kind of thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom