Book Database Inquiry

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Carrying on from The Random Annoying Things thread.

Basically, I need access to a book, unfortunately, said book is always out of stock at the library, because someone has racked up £80506245724572356234 fines for it.

Problem is, I have the E-Book version of said book, but unfortunately, I need page numbers for referencing.

I found this database which has access to the book, asked the University to undergo a free trial with them, so I have access to the book.

They said no 'because they already have a copy'

To buy a new book, it would cost me £800.

To get a single subscription to this website, it would cost me around $100. (Since I have to be member of an American historical society of some sorts.)

I spoke to the librarian at the database, and she basically said it's okay to access it through someone elses login (I was quite surprised.)

So, I'm here to ask you for your University logins if you go to any of the universities below (Or have been and you university is bad at updating stuff.)

I would literally give you sexual favours in return, because I'm pulling my hair out about this.

See list of Universities below - This does not just apply for UK students.

Thanks.

G-Dog.

Subscribing Institutions - ACLS Humanities E-Book

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
University of Glasgow is on it. I will get back to you.

Gwadien

University of Glasgow is on it. I will get back to you.
*FAP*

PS.

I tried a friends Canadian account (she went on a gap yarrrr) and that didn't work, so I'm not getting my hopes up, assuming you went Uni quite a long time ago?

old.user4556

What do you need exactly, and is this something that I can do or arrange and provide it to you? I can't give you someone's login, but I might be able to get someone to get it on my behalf.

Gwadien

What do you need exactly, and is this something that I can do or arrange and provide it to you? I can't give you someone's login, but I might be able to get someone to get it on my behalf.

I think I'll need their log-on, that's why it's so dodgy, but if not, don't worry about it dude, I appreciate you trying though.

old.user4556

No can do on that front, I could leverage someone to get it for me, but that's about as far as I can go. Sorry dude.

Gwadien

No can do on that front, I could leverage someone to get it for me, but that's about as far as I can go. Sorry dude.
I suppose they could print screen me over a 700 odd page book :p

Gwadien

William of Tyre - A History of Deeds Done Beyond The Sea

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
nm, found it. It's a biggun.

Faffing but I have full access to it I think through the OU, can download chapters in PDF so seeing if I can get the whole lot.

bear with...

Gwadien

Yup, it's a biggun! :p

Btw @DaGaffer I contacted the publisher, and they basically said that they get provided the book by the 'Author' - (In this case, it's not actually the Author, its a company that turns stuff into E-Books.) They said to leave them negative feedback, and that's all the help they could offer. LOL.

Gwadien

Should also add it's the second volume.

Gwadien

@Raven has offered a solution, but it'll be VERY time consuming on his part, so I'm still looking for someone that could give me direct access.

Thanks Raven.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have a JSTOR login if that helps? Probably not.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I guess you tried all the eye patch ways of getting it.

Hope raven comes through for you

Gwadien

Oh by the way, I thought I'd add this bit of comedy.

I emailed my library saying 'yo, get me this book plox'

They replied with 'LOL, you can cite paragraphz noobsZ!$!£$'

I haven't replied - I mean, do they really think I wouldn't have tried if I could have? Jesus.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Assuming you can count, what's the problem with citing paragraphs?

Gwadien

Assuming you can count, what's the problem with citing paragraphs?

Can't - Just page numbers, apparently.

It's especially annoying because the paragraphs are numbered too :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just page numbers, apparently
Go to your fucking tutor and tell him the problem.

If they can't waive the requirement this one time then call them dicks. To their face. Then shag their mums.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Or ask why they lack the intelligence to follow other citation methods, such as a simple text search.

Gwadien

Go to your fucking tutor and tell him the problem.

If they can't waive the requirement this one time then call them dicks. To their face. Then shag their mums.

You don't think I've done this? - Right.

@Raven has me covered anyway, he's a true FHBronie.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You don't think I've done this? - Right.
What was their excuse when you said you couldn't afford to shell out £800 on a book?

If you're tutor's intransigent I'd go to the head of department and tell him the situation's ridiculous and the tutor's not helping you find a solution.

Gwadien

What was their excuse when you said you couldn't afford to shell out £800 on a book?

If you're tutor's intransigent I'd go to the head of department and tell him the situation's ridiculous and the tutor's not helping you find a solution.

We have a system called inter library loans where our library borrows books from other libraries.

However, because we already have a copy of it, they refuse to get another copy.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Jesus, I've just been looking on Abe for second hand versions; your library shouldn't even be lending it out; there's one on there for $2500! Its actually absurd that they should be letting students have it in the first place.

My brother actually deals in rare books, I think I'll tell him to keep an eye out because he could make a killing if he found one of these.

Gwadien

Jesus, I've just been looking on Abe for second hand versions; your library shouldn't even be lending it out; there's one on there for $2500! Its actually absurd that they should be letting students have it in the first place.

My brother actually deals in rare books, I think I'll tell him to keep an eye out because he could make a killing if he found one of these.

It's like the bible for Crusading historians too, I'm not even joking - My Diss supervisor has one, but it's falling apart and he doesn't hand it out, he lets people read it in his presence. - You can understand why.

It's basically gives a huge account of the First Crusade up to (I think) the Third Crusade.

However, its my job to explain that is the Bible - IE, a load of bullshit, he made alot of shit up - I'm surprised it's not been re-published.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have been skimming sections as I have been downloading them and some of it does indeed seem a bit phantastical.

Trouble is, a lot of books written at the time are and it is often difficult to research the era. Even the bible can be used as a vague source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom