Bluejacking

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
527
On my way home tonight, I discovered the joy of bluejacking.

It is both big _and_ clever.
 

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
527
wyrd_fish said:
ain't it just... :m00:

i was at it in york the other day
It's totally redefined my journey home from work. I now look for the most crowded train/tube carriage. I like the prospect of crowds.

But, most of all, I like the joy of sending anonymous gibberish to complete strangers :D
 

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,542
I really wish I could bluejack from my XDA-II, but I can't work out how to send the vcards by bluetooth without pairing :( gah
 

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
810
Yup - I'm not sure of the exact details, but I think it basically involves using a Bluetooth-enabled phone to send confusing messages to other people who have left Bluetooth enabled on their phone/PDA/laptop.
 

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,411
Hello

fatbusinessman is spot on, as usual :) Bluejacking may not actually be legal in some parts of the world, however, so proceed with caution.

Kind Regards

Edit ~ If you Google 'Bluejacking' you'll get an array of sites detailing what Bluejacking entails
 

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
527
fatbusinessman said:
Yup - I'm not sure of the exact details, but I think it basically involves using a Bluetooth-enabled phone to send confusing messages to other people who have left Bluetooth enabled on their phone/PDA/laptop.
Spot on. Here's a quick brief on how it's done:

Create a contact in your phone book, for example:

Name = 'B. Jack'
Number = '666'
Details = 'Any old random gibberish'

Go to your phones 'send business card' option.
Select 'send via Bluetooth'

You'll then be able to send your newly created contact to anyone who has an active Bluetooth connection.

I've found trains and stations to be the best places to carry out this wireless tomfoolery.

As a guideline though, please do not send people anything that could be construed as offensive. This will mean that there is not a huge public/tabloid reaction to the practice and will, possibly, remove the chance of an angry mobile user kicking your head in.

On the other hand, if it is illegal where you are, do not do any of the things I have just said. ;)
 

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
537
Gurnox said:
Name = 'B. Jack'
Number = '666'
Details = 'Any old random gibberish'
you have a nokia right...(just a guess)

in a ericsson its differnt, you make an entery with the name as the message, and you don't need to bother with number etc...

then select send -> via bluetooth, and select your hapless victim...


one problem with my T610, it dosent vibrate when a bluetooth arrives
 

Tom

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
15,991
on the nokia you don't need to store anything other than the name.
 

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
527
Tom said:
on the nokia you don't need to store anything other than the name.
True. But the more rubbish you can send, the better :)
 

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,542
heh, we were in town today and 'jacked' scores of hapless individuals with a selection of weird messages. From the names people give their phones i'm beginning to wonder if the majority of these people enabled the bluetooth just to have the flashy blue light ;)
 

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
527
Xavier said:
heh, we were in town today and 'jacked' scores of hapless individuals with a selection of weird messages. From the names people give their phones i'm beginning to wonder if the majority of these people enabled the bluetooth just to have the flashy blue light ;)
I like it when they put in names like 'Tims Phone'. Always gives it the personal touch when you know exactly who you're jacking :)
 

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
537
mine goes by the name 'Boris the T610'

all my hardware has names like that, my old computer was Harry, my new one's Roland...
 

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
1,318
All my computers have names. My current machine is Bert. The machines at my folks house are Albert, Clive and Dave. And my i-book before i sold it was bob :)

On the subject of bluetooth tho. Are there any new 'sensible priced' bluetooth phones on the way for 2004?
 

Shovel

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,350
Quick thing: If I have Bluetooth switched on, but not set to "Discoverable", I'm safe yes?
 

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
537
Shovel said:
Quick thing: If I have Bluetooth switched on, but not set to "Discoverable", I'm safe yes?
yes, although there's not much point in it being on...
 

Shovel

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,350
It's paired with my computer and will (with some persuasion) eventually start syncronising automatically when I walk into the room. I'm fairly sure that doesn't require discoverability, once it's been paired once.
 

Clown

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
4,292
I cba with all the essays from google. What is Bluetooth? What is it for and what does it do?
 

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
527
Clown said:
I cba with all the essays from google. What is Bluetooth? What is it for and what does it do?
It's a simple means of establishing a wireless connection between devices over distances of approximately 10 meters.
 

Clown

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
4,292
Is it free? What other things apart from messaging people with fake names can you do?
 

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
537
free it is, as it dosent go through the phone network

my computer has a blutooth dongle, and its dead useful for stuff like backing up and uploading stuff to the phone

got an ericsson & a bluetooth serial port - dead good

also, the sony ericsson theme editor, but you need to register to dl that
 

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
527
Clown said:
Is it free? What other things apart from messaging people with fake names can you do?
Attach hands free kits, access the internet via your mobile from your laptop/PDA. All without wires. The Nokia N-Gage uses it to allow head-to-head gaming.

It's definately a 'good thing'.
 

Shovel

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,350
wyrd_fish said:
free it is, as it dosent go through the phone network

my computer has a blutooth dongle, and its dead useful for stuff like backing up and uploading stuff to the phone

got an ericsson & a bluetooth serial port - dead good

also, the sony ericsson theme editor, but you need to register to dl that
There are various free alternative Theme Editors are there not? Or is this free registration?
 

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
537
its a free registration, yes...

its also better than others i've tried...

in summary:
its dead good and dead free...
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom