Blizzard more or less confirms flying will NEVER return for future expansions

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Load of shit...

"Polygon recently did an interview with Ion Hazzikostas. One notable segment was that flying will probably not be in any new zones or expansions:
When Warlords of Draenor first hit, some fans were surprised to discover that even upon reaching the new level cap of 100, they couldn't fly with their air-based mounts in the new zones. Initially Blizzard expected to patch in flying at some point, but now it has changed its mind."

"Thanks for creating a thread on this. As you noted, lead designer Ion Hazzikostas mentioned in a recent interview with Polygon that we’ve decided not to allow the use of flying mounts on Draenor. There’s been a lot of debate about the pros and cons of flying over the course of this expansion—not just in the community, but in the hallways, offices, and break rooms at Blizzard—and we know it’s something everyone feels passionately about.

During Patch 6.2’s development, we continued to discuss how flight would fundamentally change the way players experience all of Draenor’s ground-based content, and carefully weighed that against the benefits flying would bring to the game. Ultimately, after much deliberation, we came to the conclusion that the world of Draenor would simply no longer provide the experience we envisioned it if we were to reintroduce flight in this expansion.

We appreciate everyone who has taken the time to weigh in on this topic. You’ve provided some great insight and feedback, and we ask that you please be respectful of one another as you continue to discuss your thoughts and experiences.

You can read the original quote in Ion’s interview with Polygon here.

Remember to keep it civil and to stay on topic."

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I give it a month or two before Blizzard caves in to the negative feedback.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Wow only took since TBC for them to realise flying mounts were cancer, Bit late now.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Wow only took since TBC for them to realise flying mounts were cancer, Bit late now.

Pretty much, there was a time and place to remove flying mounts, they're about 7 years too late, they should have removed them when WOTLK came out. Doing it now after X expansions where people have invested time in farming flying mounts, gathering flying mounts and becoming custom to using them everywhere is just plain retarded.

Mimiron's Head? useless now
Invincible? useless now (the flying part of it at least)
Ashes of Al'ar? useless

I feel robbed quite personally, I want months of my life back :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Over half of the mounts are some form of flying thingies(if not 3/4). Let's take that away seemingly forever. Good call.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not bothered any more. I make enough from my garrisons in a week to cover my months sub. Have enough gold to pay for 5 years or so of subs already.

Quite happy to log on, farm my garrison, FP to near the raid entrance. That's all there is to do in WoW now anyway.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Good now they can stop selling the fucking things on the store too...

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
LOL... my fucking god this gets better

"We're stopping flying all together guys!"....

Guys check out the all new flying mount!

Idiot level: Blizzard

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
A bunch of people need to get fired sharpish. The game is turning into a disaster.

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
I actually think it's the right decision. Flying mounts kills world PvP and trivialize overworld content (not that it's any hard anyway).

I agreed with @BloodOmen though. They should've done this ages ago, not now when the game is 10+ years old.

Edit: Also, this (4 months) is the longest I've gone without being subbed to WoW since release. Warlords was really trash IMO, in several ways.

Poag

m00?
Its all be trash since WoTLK. Azeroth needed the rehash but of all the new content that about the only good bit....

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I actually think it's the right decision. Flying mounts kills world PvP and trivialize overworld content (not that it's any hard anyway).
It wasn't flying mounts that killed world pvp, it was the battlegrounds that did it long before flying mounts existed..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It was the PvP being a bag of wank that mostly killed PvP.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

I agreed with @BloodOmen though. They should've done this ages ago, not now when the game is 10+ years old.

Edit: Also, this (4 months) is the longest I've gone without being subbed to WoW since release. Warlords was really trash IMO, in several ways.

Warlords was arguably worse than Pandaria, Pandaria had its faults but nowhere near as much as Warlords has. Apart from Garrison stuff there is literally fuck all to do in Warlords.

Last edited:

Syri

FH is my second home
I have to say, the flying was a bit of a novelty at first, but it has come to trivialise things a lot, and denied a lot of things that could have made for more interesting gameplay. However, warlords has done very little to argue for the denial of flight. Yes, we have a few simplistic jumping puzzles, but they're not exactly that great, or that rewarding. Other than that, not really a lot there. Questing hasn't really changed, as it's all designed without flying in mind in the other zones too, as you don't get to fly until you cap out of an area, first time around at least.
The world PvP argument doesn't really stand, as has been said, battlegrounds removed a lot of interest in that anyway, it's mostly just pre-arranged scraps and low level ganking that take place in the world, from my experience. You don't even see many city invasions now. I think that the types of player that WoW tends to attract have pretty much ended world PvP, as they've pretty much driven a preference for "safe" areas and private combat areas.
As for the future of the game, I have to say that this expansion has offered some of the best and worst content. At the start, when you go in at 90 and all is new, it seems great. Get a couple of level 100s though, and you start to see how little went into it after all. The story doesn't have any great pull to it, and there's so many parts that you feel you "need" to do, whether to get followers or buildings, that you aren't left with as much choice for different levelling paths on alts. Add to this the over-simplification of a lot of the classes, and it's all got a bit dull, very quickly in my view.
I don't think that removing flying has really helped this expansion in the long run, the real problems lie elsewhere, it's just given a handy diversion, to get people's attention about a lesser issue. Maybe flying should have been addressed long ago, but it wasn't, and expectations were allowed to build up that it would be ever-present. Blizzard must be loving the debate though, as it's taking so much attention away from the real problem areas.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Warlords was arguably worse than Pandaria, Pandaria had its faults but nowhere near as much as Warlords has. Apart from Garrison stuff there is literally fuck all to do in Warlords.

I came back around siege main raiding time, it was what, 6-9 months of before warlords? Leveled a new toon(new realm) and had fun the whole time, farming, questing(loads of it) raiding, timeless etc.

Warlords hits and i max out garrison and do all the lore content in less then a month and then notice that i'm just raiding 2 times a week.

Gamewise, warlords was solid. Great improvements etc. Content wise? F*ck all compared to panda.

Just comparing pet dailies/pet tournament in timeless/etc. In panda there was a reason to level pets and get that tournament done, in warlords it was just "get 3 of these tokens that you can buy nothing with".

Wasn't for me really. They need to pack bags and make WoW2, then i'll come back.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I came back around siege main raiding time, it was what, 6-9 months of before warlords? Leveled a new toon(new realm) and had fun the whole time, farming, questing(loads of it) raiding, timeless etc.

Warlords hits and i max out garrison and do all the lore content in less then a month and then notice that i'm just raiding 2 times a week.

Gamewise, warlords was solid. Great improvements etc. Content wise? F*ck all compared to panda.

Just comparing pet dailies/pet tournament in timeless/etc. In panda there was a reason to level pets and get that tournament done, in warlords it was just "get 3 of these tokens that you can buy nothing with".

Wasn't for me really. They need to pack bags and make WoW2, then i'll come back.

Aye, quite funny really considering Blizzard marketed Warlords as the "Largest" content we've ever released, not even going to bother with the next expansion until I see player reviews of it first, not being sucked in to the same shit as Borelords of Deadnor again :p

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
And not surprisingly Blizzard pull a u-turn and flying will now be allowed... you just need to meet the criteria first.

You need to finish the following, then you can fly.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its all damage limitation now.

A bunch of people still need the chop for the disaster that is WoD

I am pleased they are finally listening to reason but I fear its just too late now, the population levels are getting so bad now that it might well be close to critical mass.

I think the only thing that can save WoW is a total overhaul of WoD or a new expansion where they fix all the broken things, professions, dull dungeons etc but that isn't something they can do over night.

Thankfully its free to play now otherwise I wouldn't bother.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
They need to brush Warlords under the rug and get a new expansion out ASAP tbh, they need something that'll really say "WOW" to people and not just "Oh a new expansion.. yay" new classes for example would do a lot.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Interestig how it goes though. Pre-Pandaria players were "This will be sh*t, killing wow!" and it turned out to be great. Pre-WoD players were "This is gonna be great!" and it turns out to be...this.

I don't think a new expansion would get me back tbh, maybe if they release wow2 or "world fo starcraft" then i'd hop on. WoS would be excellent, just lore wise. Blizzard vcersion of Kotor :p

By the way says a lot thati played for , what, 2 months and i got those "requirements" to fly already. Maybe missing one rep.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
it'd take a lot to get me back as well :p

-new classes
-more stuff to do outside of raiding (not shit like garrisons)
+ loads of other stuff

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
Will be interesting to see what the sub numbers are after this quarter, though I suppose the whole "buy gametime with gold"-thing will put a wrench into the numbers.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Will be interesting to see what the sub numbers are after this quarter, though I suppose the whole "buy gametime with gold"-thing will put a wrench into the numbers.

Not really. It's not Blizzard that sells sub time for gold, it's the players that buys them from blizzard with real money that then sells it for gold. Basically it's the same thing as in EvE online and the plexes there...

So how many there are that buys subs with gold is largely irrelevant as they are (afaik) only reporting active subscription numbers. They will most likely not include unused subscription sales that are collecting dust on the AH or wherever players are selling them in that category.. Pretty sure they legally aren't even allowed to, though don't quote me on that...

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Once they sell the wow token that counts as a subscription. I suppose the proper way to report it would be revenue from tokens on asset side side and unclaimed subs on the liability side.

I have 4 days played on my DK, having a lot of fun, doing the flying quests in WoD now, feel like I'm handicapped running around on land. Not happy at how they have gated the blacksmithing gear with daily cool downs, it just smacks of laziness. Now that legion pre patch is here, I was hoping they'd remove the gate, but no dice. So I'm running heroics and feeling embarrassed about my kit because to gear up properly would take a month.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Once they sell the wow token that counts as a subscription. I suppose the proper way to report it would be revenue from tokens on asset side side and unclaimed subs on the liability side.

I have 4 days played on my DK, having a lot of fun, doing the flying quests in WoD now, feel like I'm handicapped running around on land. Not happy at how they have gated the blacksmithing gear with daily cool downs, it just smacks of laziness. Now that legion pre patch is here, I was hoping they'd remove the gate, but no dice. So I'm running heroics and feeling embarrassed about my kit because to gear up properly would take a month.
just run invasions now and get kitted out in lvl700 in a few hours..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom