Blade/Pierce Master.

E

Erekrose

Considering my BM spec at the moment which was a boring,
44 Blades 44 CD & 44 Parry.

Im now thinking of
39 Blades 39 Pierce 39 CD & 35 Parry

Has anyone tried a spec like this before?

Would I need the pierce weapon in my main hand if I wanted to use a pierce style? Or could I use a pierce style as long as pierce weapon was in any hand? Would Pierce/Blunt or Blunt/Blades be better? Basically what i mean is if i wield pierce & blade in each hand will i have access to both sets of styles. I’m a Firby BM by the way.

Any thoughts, flames welcome.

P

Pin

Styles go off the weapon in your mainhand. And errrr. Gimp?

E

elerand

What pin said, in order to use blade/pierce styles you have to have a weapon of that type in your mainhand.

Don't see the point of speccing in two weapons with such a low skill, fun maybe but your dmg output will suck compared to 50 in a weapon.

If you have the urge to do anything then do 50 weapon, 42 shield, split between parry/cd, at least a shield is more use than having two weapon specs...

E

Erekrose

Both can be 50 with items though? Is there much benefit in going to 50 then putting plus into weapons? Considered the dhield option but looked quite pricy to get slam at 42 points. Maybe i should go with pierce then?

P

Pin

Originally posted by Erekrose
Both can be 50 with items though? Is there much benefit in going to 50 then putting plus into weapons?

There's a huge difference going over 50 weapon spec, though it does taper off. Each point adds to weaponskill, which increases damage and reduces the likelihood of you missing or being parried/blocked/evaded. The difference between 50 and 60 skill is roughly 10-15%, even 66-67 Thrust raised mine by ~0.25%.

Weaponskill is king (aswell as high parry, etc for BMs).

N

Novamir

go full piercemaster or bluntmaster (i prefer pierce, but bluntmaster will win all duels so long as they get a parry).

piercemaster > all :D

T

Tiptap

Blunt :)

All the way with blunt!

Mawawawawwaaw - Fear the sound of a parrying Mace :)

V

Vantros

go whatever u want to go, in the end with full melee resists u gonna be doin the same dmg, and bm's dmg is gimped compared to our mid and alb equivilents anyway.

E

elerand

Originally posted by Vantros
go whatever u want to go, in the end with full melee resists u gonna be doin the same dmg, and bm's dmg is gimped compared to our mid and alb equivilents anyway.

What alb equivilent would that be? Mercs are in the same CD/DW rickity boat as us ;)

Trouble with CD/DW is it's meant to be an advanced line like LA, sadly they made it worse than ordinary weapon specs :(

V

VodkaFairy

Originally posted by elerand

What alb equivilent would that be? Mercs are in the same CD/DW rickity boat as us ;)

Trouble with CD/DW is it's meant to be an advanced line like LA, sadly they made it worse than ordinary weapon specs :(

You have to admit, even though CD is far from an advanced line blademasters do really well in RvR. Just think of what they'll be with good styles in CD :)

E

elerand

Originally posted by VodkaFairy

You have to admit, even though CD is far from an advanced line blademasters do really well in RvR. Just think of what they'll be with good styles in CD :)

Only because the BM's I know are persistent and know their class very well, same is true of most classes I think, a good player will always make a huge difference!

On the whole BM isn't a gimped class, they could have more going for them but with a decent CD line we could be doing much better :)

A

arleen

I used the last respec on my alt to take all my points out of CD and max blades and parry..rest in shield..

I shall be going for final spec of 44 blades 44 Parry 42 shield 12 CD.....

...and I've never felt better as a BM,damage is better...especially when I get the chain going off of block....and I take a lot less punishment, even when holding the agro.

If I go 2 handed I still get better damage from the blades styles without noticing any difference in strike rate.

Nothing in this world is going to get me back to using CD...unless Mythic overhaul the style completely....which won't happen cause Rangers and shades share the style with us.

E

Erekrose

So there is no benifit to wielding pierce in my right hand blades in my left with 39 pierce & 39 blades plus 39cd with plus 11 to all in items. I could even swap my blades pierce weapons between hands depending on oponent?

V

VodkaFairy

Originally posted by Erekrose
So there is no benifit to wielding pierce in my right hand blades in my left with 39 pierce & 39 blades plus 39cd with plus 11 to all in items. I could even swap my blades pierce weapons between hands depending on oponent?

:ROFLMAO:

Just pick a proper spec already.

E

Erekrose

<Laughs in the face of proper specs>

I remember when people used to slate me for going high regrowth with my warden.

:)

V

VodkaFairy

I bet, but this is different.

There is -NO- advantage to choose two weapontypes instead of one. It takes so much points for zero extra damage. Zero style advantage. Zero defence.

N

Novamir

go pierce ! go pierce ! you wanna ! just do it ! :clap:

T

Tank Init

dont listen to the muppets and do what ever u want :) half of them are sheep and only ever do the cookie cutter temps anywayz
theres nothing wrong with that setup, u just got to learn how to play it thats all

oh and to the ppl saying gimp how is 50+ in each weapon gimp?

N

Novamir

eh, tank why the aggression?

"39 Blades 39 Pierce 39 CD & 35 Parry"

you're telling me that's not a gimp spec? well ok. i'm just trying to help him avoid choosing a spec that he will regret when he realises how pointless it is.

having had the pleasure of playing a level 50 piercemaster in rvr i think i can give some advice here :) piercemasters make soo much dmg :)

E

Ebonn

Everyone entitiled to play they char how they like, altho Erekrose has gone a bit wide of the mark :D

maybe choose 1 weapon type, and go 42 sheild instead of speccing the other weapon type, dosnt meen u have to use sheild all the time, just take it for the slam, as Heros do :D.

Pierce 40,
Sheild 42,
Parry 35,
Celtic duel 35,

0 points left over :D

Im no expert on BM's tho :D

E

elerand

/em puts hand up as first BM to spec to pierce at 50 (that I know of on excal)

I took a gamble based on what I saw and liked about pierce, nothing more, nothing less :)

T

Tiptap

Erik Your BM is a Firbie is he not?

Dont do pierce!
Dont do blades!

DO BLUNT

I had blades spec until level 46 ish. You do not have enough Quick to do the damage output over time as blades.

Your base Str is probably 100 though so what you lose in quick you will nearly make up for in damage.

Your capped Quick at level 50 will only be 120/130 depending on where you put your start points :( (without buffs).

Just my opinion but a Firbie BM is probably best going

50 Blunt
50 CD
28 (I think) Parry

Rest in shield (though mine are in pierce and I have 2 envenomed rapiers in my packpack :) )

Or even better - Delete and re-role as a Celt :)

Get some RA's and Boost up the dex and quick :)

Most of My ra's will be passive : Aug Dex 2 Aug Quick 2 Str 3 :) Master of melee 2 and Master of Pain 2. I rarely solo anymore so hes sorta a group gimp now :)

Have fun!

O

old.Jable

i was with novamir when he played the pierce bm and he wouldnt stop creaming over the damage he was doing :D

K

K0nah

erm some reasons why dual dmg spec IS NOT gimp.

1. resistant armour + capped resist = -36%(+racial), damage

2. vulnerable armour + capped resist = -16%(+racial), damage

3. effective damage net gain = +20%

now u could say the difference between 50 and 60 spec equals 20% too and i could say, i think not ;)

i used to be dual dmg spec for this reason and trust me the low specd thruster in my left hand did more dmg than the slasher in my mainhand when hitting mid chain, including the style bonus... varience sucked true and its a pain the arse swappin weapons about but its not gimped. varience wont be an issue so much with this spec as both will be 50+ with sc/rr.

E

elerand

Originally posted by K0nah

now u could say the difference between 50 and 60 spec equals 20% too and i could say, i think not ;)

i used to be dual dmg spec for this reason and trust me the low specd thruster in my left hand did more dmg than the slasher in my mainhand when hitting mid chain, including the style bonus... varience sucked true and its a pain the arse swappin weapons about but its not gimped. varience wont be an issue so much with this spec as both will be 50+ with sc/rr.

Style bonus with 50 natural spec is much greater than 44, dmg variance is about an avg of 10-15 points.

Tbh it's much better to weigh up the targets your most likely to fight and go with that, since support classes are going to be the first target and the ones likely to decide if a battle if one or lost on the basis of chewing grass then I think the one dmg type is more practical.
Pretty sure I've seen dmg tests on the vnboards (where there are more people than sanity would seem to allow for who test this sort of thing to death) that showed the gain was outweighed, wish I could remember the thread!

P

Pin

Originally posted by K0nah

You may have done more damage with your offhand thruster because your mainhand damage type was also lower specced?

I tested the difference between 58 and 68 thrust spec last night. The difference in weaponskill was ~9%. Now, that equates to 9% less likely to miss or to be parried/blocked/evaded, and 9% extra damage when you do hit, and that would wipe out the difference of vulnerable/resistant armour.

Also factor in that most high damage/stun styles are reactionary off evade/parry/block so you are going to take much more punishment in a fight if you have low weaponskill.

Therefore, I say again that weaponskill is king, cap it or suffer :p

(P.S. 68 Thrust and capped stats gives 1431 weaponskill for an inf)

K

K0nah

Originally posted by Pin
You may have done more damage with your offhand thruster because your mainhand damage type was also lower specced?

no i was 44slash 25thrust, course back then u couldnt get +11 from items all that easily, if at all. but thrust was at ~32 iirc with Kings Nail and RRs

Originally posted by Pin
I tested the difference between 58 and 68 thrust spec last night. The difference in weaponskill was ~9%. Now, that equates to 9% less likely to miss or to be parried/blocked/evaded, and 9% extra damage when you do hit, and that would wipe out the difference of vulnerable/resistant armour.

9+9 = 18 not 20 ;)

the bonus from dual speccing was higher on the old armour tables tho, +/-15% not 10% as it is now so the dmg difference was +30%

even now with the reduced defence a resistant armour type gives, for me as a slash user taking on mid chain or hib reinforced gives horrible, horrible negs. just a pity alb thrust styles so totally suck, pierce doesn't suffer from that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread