Black Hawk Down

N

Nibbler

It was long, gritty and awesome. Up there with Full Metal Jacket. 'Nuff said :clap:

E

Embattle

Looks fairly good but a review I saw seemed to thin it was typically American with the Somali's just being another prop in the film.

O

Ono

Don't like the avatar Emb.

Too small.

Back to thread.

It looks like a fine film.

May wait for the DVD.

Y

Yaka

great book
good film

im suprised the managed to make it watachable :clap:

N

Nibbler

Originally posted by Embattle
Looks fairly good but a review I saw seemed to thin it was typically American with the Somali's just being another prop in the film.

True, and they don't even mention all the men women and children they really slaughtered, but it's still a fantastic film.

T

throdgrain

from what i hear its the yanks trying to make themselves look good out of an absolute disaster.
no change there then.

B

bigbb

I'm afraid, I don't have much time for completely Americanised films, U-571 etc. Changing history to suit American egotistical attitudes, not my thing.

I'll probably have to watch this at some time or another though.

S

Stazbumpa

Agree, fucking U-571 is a travesty. Black Hawk Down looks like it could be another one of those, but it also sounds like a "war is hell" movie, a la' Platoon (though possibly not as good).

I think they probably avoided making a comment on US involvement in Somalia and instead concentrated on the effect the fight had on the troops (US of course) involved.
Anyway, Ridly Scott's directed it so I'll see it coz I love him.

In a professional way.

R

raw.

Well i really am into war type action films, i loved Full Metal Jacket i even own a copy (says quite a lot for me) ive seen it advertised on TV and i actualy liked the look of it.

/me looks forward to watching it

E

Embattle

No doubt it's a good film from an action point of view :)

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Hmmm, what to say. From a film critics view I thought it was a great action film, non-stop, 'quite' realistic and the set piece stunts were top notch. No character development whatsoever, but then that's what you get from an 'action film'. You didn't really care about the characters (dunno why, maybe 'cos they were American and we've seen it all before?).

However, two huge points I hated about the film...; 1) the Somalians were painted out as savages who had nothing better to do than go around slaughtering each other and those 'pesky' American peacekeeper / observers; 2) the end f*cking bit where it goes... '18 Americans lost their lives... Over 1000 Somalians theirs...' or something shit like that. I mean, what the f*ck?! Wow, a company of highly trained Texas Rangers managed to kill 1000 lowly equipped militia and unarmed civilians whilst only losing 18 of their comrades.

Other than that I thought it was a good film. Also, as someone who studies film I don't believe that you can even begin to compare this to Full Metal Jacket / Platoon / Born on the 4th of July / Heaven and Earth / Deer Hunter... etc. All those films were quite ANTI-war, and did indeed paint an ultimate picture of American impotence caused by a philosophy of 'we being the greatest nation on Earth'.

Ridley Scott (who I do admire as a director - Blade Runner, 'nuff said) has already put forward comments on his film thus... 'The timing of this film came could come at no better time for America. After September 11th it is to show the American people that we DO have to go into other countries or else things will escalate. 1993 was no different from 2001 and this film is here to show us that...'

Eh? A-hole, just go back to Hollywood and make films without the shitty world philosophy please. One helicopter being shot down and 3,000 over people dying is quite different...

S

SAS

Dollythesheep read the book :).

Film was quite accurate to what truely happened.

Damn good film from an action Point of view, but be warned when leaving the cinema expect to keep hearing gunfire for an hour or 2 !

Also the bit with the leg (you'll know what I mean when you see it) might turn a few stomachs :)

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Originally posted by SAS
Dollythesheep read the book :).

Film was quite accurate to what truely happened.

Damn good film from an action Point of view, but be warned when leaving the cinema expect to keep hearing gunfire for an hour or 2 !

Also the bit with the leg (you'll know what I mean when you see it) might turn a few stomachs :)

:) Wow no flame just a thoughtful nice response...

/me stunned

Anyways, heh, I have read the book. I'm not attacking it in the sense of being 'real'. Just attacking it for being so damned 'American'. Like I said, i found it fine as a realistic war film. Just don't like the single perpective put up by Hollywood.

Things like Platoon, etc. though told by the US still managed to to retain some sort of integrity for the 'enemy'. In this I found there was none :(

PS. Platoon on this week on terrestial TV. If you haven't seen it by now you are prolly living in a deep dark hole with no life :D

Y

~YuckFou~

Quote from Sunday Times review "Black Hawk Down is a crass shoot-'em-up thats neither authentic nor realistic, blood but no guts"

So typical yank ra ra film, may be worth watching as a fictional action movie.

W

Wilier

I went to see it last night, a bit l8 I know, and I dont think it painted the Americans as being hero's, I thought it made them or at least the leaders, look like a bunch of brainless idiots. FFS, what on EARTH were they thinking of.

"i know, lets send our blokes into a raging pit of hatred, in the middle of the day, take their gaffers prisoner, and wander off without a problem"

I dont think so.

As far as being a good watch goes, then yes, I'll go with that. And the bit with the leg, ouch, rather him than me.:puke:

K

*Kornholio*

I still haven't seen it yet so no spoilers plz folks...

M

Munkey-

so all in all. another fiasco for america that they are trying to cover up in bravado. u-571 anyone? just because their code breaking section relied largley upon UK code breakers, whiuch they then broke their promise by not returning information after we had sent them enigma machiens etc.

bastards

W

Wilier

jeez monkey, chill out m8. tis only a film, afterall.
:rolleyes:

W

WPKenny

I didn't think much of it to be honest. I got hold of a *ahem* copy and I was asleep by the end of it. I didn't care about the characters at all. It just seemed "oh dear, we're crap and we've been shot down." "Quick! Let's throw more men in and get more people shot down and killed, they're savages after all!" "Bugger! More men dead! Send more in to die! These savages have to yeald some time!"

It just seemed like.....is this really how dumb people in the (US) Army are? Instead of losing a coulpe of lives and getting the hell out of there, they sent more troops in to die cos they were so arrogant and thought they could handle thousands of africans.

When the African's were shown they appeared like zombies in some horror movies chanting "BRAINS! MUST HAVE BRAINS!".

I expected far more. Just watching stuff get blown up doesn't impress me any more. I like a bit of thought to go into the films I watch. A bit of involvment with the characters. If someone's going to die, I want to be thinking "NOOO!!!", not mentally shrugging.

Ah well. As films go it wasn't the worst I've seen. Mindless violence I suppose. Didn't paint the best picture of either side, but then I guess the business of killing each other isn't the most glamorous.

I found other films like Platoon and FMJ to be far more intense and involving. After a while in BHD I just got numb to all the gun fire as it was just continuous and it just seemed like people dying in dumb ways one after the other.

/me hands over his 0.02 €

S

Summo

Oh, that film. I getcha. Thought it was a racecourse or summat. :/

X

xenon2000

I knew people would get worked up with the whole American thing. I frankly don't give a flying fuck about the nationality of either side, the propoganda rising around the film, nor the real-life feasablity issues.

It was an entertaining film, with some superb action sequences, emotional in some places, and with big guns that go boom & knock peoples legs off. Eat it.

W

Wilier

initially posted by Xenon2000
It was an entertaining film, with some superb action sequences, emotional in some places, and with big guns that go boom & knock peoples legs off. Eat it.

Yeah.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom