Black Friday

leggy

Probably Scottish
£160 cashback on some Nikon DLSRs. Shame it comes in the form of a pre-paid visa. Still - quite a nice amount.

Chilly

Balls of steel
£160 cashback on some Nikon DLSRs. Shame it comes in the form of a pre-paid visa. Still - quite a nice amount.
Yeah, nowhere takes visa, it's so shit. Amazin probably put prices up on the stuff they're flogging at a discount just so they can apply a big discount. There's so few actually decent deals.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

How else are they going to give you the money? An envelope full of cash? Pre-pay Visa is fine; you can even cash it out for about a fiver.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I don't get paid till friday, so its all lost on me until them, which sucks

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They could just knock £160 off the price...

leggy

Probably Scottish
How else are they going to give you the money? An envelope full of cash? Pre-pay Visa is fine; you can even cash it out for about a fiver.

Old school but what's wrong with a cheque? And I don't lose a fiver. Can you detect my nationality?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Old school but what's wrong with a cheque? And I don't lose a fiver. Can you detect my nationality?

Cheques are less secure and cost more money (for the retailer). They also mean you have to go to a bank, which is actually a pain in the hole for most people. I'm struggling to remember the last time I used a cheque for anything. NB. I've no idea why I'm defending Amazon (or Visa), but I do understand their logic.

And you only lose a fiver if you really need the cash. For Irn Bru and deep fried pizzas.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I use cheques to pay the window cleaner...that's about it.

When I worked at a bank 10 years ago they were on about getting rid of them entirely yet they still drag on. Just bin the bloody things already!

It would be far simpler to just refund £160 onto the card you used to buy the camera or just knock another £160 off the price.

rynnor

Rockhound

When I worked at a bank 10 years ago they were on about getting rid of them entirely yet they still drag on. Just bin the bloody things already!

It would be far simpler to just refund £160 onto the card you used to buy the camera or just knock another £160 off the price.

I'm guessing they got them as a cheap promo at some point.

Chilly

Balls of steel

Yeah but it's the same scam as gift vouchers. A shop sells £100 of vouchers and expects to actually have to pay out £80 or whatever due to laziness/loss/partial spend etc.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
if you get a cheque you gotta pay to park while you go to the bank so thats a couple quid out of your money already anyway

Nate

FH is my second home
anyone bought anything yet?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Bought a few things a shredder, StarCraft 2, matrix Brita filter.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
if you get a cheque you gotta pay to park while you go to the bank so thats a couple quid out of your money already anyway
Fuck that, envelope + stamp = local branches problem!

Embattle

FH is my second home
I reckon the UK should shift more away from big sales on boxing day and towards a time similar as black Friday, sadly I suspect companies would be more likely to use both days as major sales events.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Why sadly? Do you object to having two days of heavy discounting instead of only one?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Why sadly? Do you object to having two days of heavy discounting instead of only one?

So people can spend too much money twice that they don't have, my point is boxing day should be more based around the family and relaxing rather than cramming into stores.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Especially now with the interweb that sales start Xmas day .. There is no escape from capitalism to enjoy the peace away from the Mecca of selling

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom