Bit Torrent (geting anoying now)

Swifti

Fledgling Freddie
Using the Bit Torrent dispite the advise given by others im still receiving a bad download rate its average is about 4/kbs!!, and people are uploading from me at about 10/kbs can anyone suggest how i should set my seetings? like reduce the uploading people are doing and increase my download rate?

btw what does 'seeder' mean?

on my torrent ive gotr
Download rate and upload rate. now if im correct, download rate should be my actual rate of downloading, and upload rate being people downloading from me.

with an eta of 230hrs now i think its geting a bit rediculous.

Pestilence

Fledgling Freddie
do u get green "light" when downloading?

If not i suggest you read up on bittorrent firewall settings. you download is proportional:ish to your upload.
more upload slots = better speed.

So the more uploads you host the more speed you get on download.
you also fetch from more then one seeder.

Swifti

Fledgling Freddie
im actualy geting a constantly yellow light, but thats because its flowing through my router. and its mindboggling to sort that thing out without my drivers. So if i let more hosts upload off me, i get more downloaded in return?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
You can alter settings to get better performances... depending on the BitTorrent client you're using, changing options can really make a difference.

You will want the max number of conections as high as possible.
Downloading at 1kbps 10 times is faster than a single 5kbps download.
I've set mine to 1000, not that it has ever reached beyond a few hundred.

Also, set the max upload to something 1/10 of your max connenction... I've got a 750kb line, and usually my max upload is on 8-9-10 kb.
Download is usually 60kbps, in case I actually get it, but for most decently seeded files you get around 30. For the WoW beta, I was usually between 10 and 30 kbps.
If your max upload is too high, you kill your own connection, meaning slower downloads (in my experience).

If you can, opening the right ports in your firewall / router can also drastically speed things up - you'll have to look at your bit torrent clients documentation.

And btw, a seeder is someone who's downloaded the entire file, and is letting people download it from him/her. Every file has a share ratio - share yours until it's atleast 1.0 :)

Shawr

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like a firewall problem to me. I had exactly the same problem as you way back when I first started trying bittorent out till I changed my firewall to zonealarm. Haven't had a problem since.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Swifti said:
im actualy geting a constantly yellow light, but thats because its flowing through my router.

find out which port your client is using and open it, as it is most likely slowing you down.

Lones555

Fledgling Freddie
I had the same problem, I added a small port range to my router and enabled it, then set it up in BT, I now get a green light. Also if you are on cable don't allow your max upload speed to others, for some reason it seems to severely hit your download speed if you hit your cap upload speed.

Also with BT be patient, it can sometimes take up to an hour for a download to start moving at a respectable speed (usually takes at least 15 minutes for me).

Nunnan

Fledgling Freddie
wont people be able to download wow from the blizzard servers ? or do you have to get the ob from a torrent?

Swifti

Fledgling Freddie
i have absolutely no idea how to open ports ect, but since ive only got a 150k connect and its going to 3 computers (2 are on all the time) i dont think i can squeeze any more bandwidth. i checked my download rate this morning at 6am. it was 16/kbs. checked again at 11am and it was 2/kbs :p. currently at 2.30 its now on 4/kbs. so im guessing it just has its up's and downs. I think im guna have a bit of a wait :)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Most recent routers have a web interface. Just open your browser and surf to the IP of your router (you can get this from ipconfig, but it's usually 192.168.0.1)

Make sure port 6881 (unless you've changed it in the programs) is forwarded to your computer.

The "green light" won't show up until someone has connected to you, so don't worry if it stays yellow for a few minutes if you don't broadcast your existance.

Atleast, that's what I did here :) ymmv

Lones555

Fledgling Freddie
Nunnan said:
wont people be able to download wow from the blizzard servers ? or do you have to get the ob from a torrent?

If it's like the US beta Blizzard have their own download program manager that works very similar to a torrent (may even be one), the downside for this was that theres so many people using this system even on my 4mb line i was getting a max of 20k/s (I think i can get in excess of 450k/s on a decent server). I chose to download the euro client well in advance so I can get straight on and play when the final beta opens... for the US Open Beta i missed the first week of play cos i was still downloading the 2.5gig client =/

Aada

Part of the furniture
Dl net limiter and set your upload to 1 and your download to whatever your modem can take i did this and DLD it in under 8 hours :)

Swifti

Fledgling Freddie
ive managed to get into my router and shut off its firewall. not to worry since ive got my backup to traffic my internet. I've come to an option of 'special application ports'.. is this a way i can speed up the internet through my router?

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
open up a port on your NAT and use that port in your bittorrent client (Azureus is nice). Voila. Worked for me.

Created the entry under "Virtual Server".

Swifti

Fledgling Freddie
Well ive at last got a nice download rate. All i had to do was shut off my routers internal firewall and tell my sisters to stop using bearshare :p

I had about 23/kbs from 11pm-9am. so not long left

Scrote

Fledgling Freddie
Nice to hear it, but either way, you'd still have downloaded it before Final Beta starts ;)

Teza

Fledgling Freddie
i can give u my bt client and torrent file aswell.

Krunch-X

Fledgling Freddie
Blizzard does supply a download client ... and you can use it quite happily ... well ... if it wasn't for the fact the it uses all of your available upstream for the torrent share = limited download due to the nature of TCP. And yes, the Blizzard downloader uses BitTorrent ...

As Aada said, use something like Net Limiter and drop the upstream to about 80% (or less) and that'll free up enough space for you to get fast downloads with the client.

Alternatively, get something like Resource Hacker(?) and you can rip the torrent file from the client exe and use it in Azureus / BitComet / BitTornado ... whatever takes your fancy.

As for the Torrent system itself, you really *do* need to open at least port 6881 for inbound. The torrent system doesn't work well if no-one shares :\ and you won't get a decent download rate unless you are sharing.

I can't believe that Blizzard, the Gods that they are, were stupid enough to configure the torrent client the way they have ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom