Help Bikes

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Guys,

I know there are a few folk on the board with Motor Biking background (looks at Throd)

Wife got me a CBT Course for xmas and I intend to take that and then (hopefully) take the Direct Access training to go for a bigger bike.

Couple of Questions :

1. CBT Course
Do I need to take the theory test? Been driving for 25+ years and so know (in theory) what is needed to be on the roads.

If I pass the CBT - can I then go straight out and buy a 125?

2. Bikes.
My preference is for cruiser type bikes (e.g. Harley Fatboy) but have been advised to get a good road bike (e.g. Honda Hornet / CBR 600) to allow me to get familiar with "proper" bike handling - corners etc.

dont want to go to the maniacal bike levels, but dont want to waste me cash on a bike that doesnt really suit.

additionally, should I hold back on buying protective gear until AFTER I pass the Direct Access, or suit up now to give an incentive to pass?

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
If you pass the CBT you can go get a 125, although i believe (depending on the year you passed your car license) you could get a 125 now... I'd still take the CBT though.

My first bike (big one) was a Cruiser, bloody awful for UK roads... lovely and comfortable but awful for all these corners and turns. If you can get a Hornet or Suzuki (Bandit? or SV650?) I'd get one of those.

Best of luck with the Direct Access though, let us know what bike you choose! :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
You can ride a bike once you get your CBT, so yes pass your CBT (you do pass, its a given) then go get a 125. I am quite sure to ride a bike you have to do your CBT and besides it gives you confidence so it does help. Its basically a day of having a laugh and riding cool little 125's :)

You do not have to do the theory to do your CBT, its a totally different thing.

I did my theory first because it was the one I dreaded most, then did my CBT then my DAS. The theory test is easy apart from the hazrd perception bit, but thats purely because of the god awful program, apparently you can see a hazard too early so click too early and you don't score full marks, fucking bullshit it is, the trick is to click in the correct time frame, so not too early and not too late.

You have to do your theory test if you want your full bike licence, no ifs no buts you have to do it, I did all mine this year (theory, CBT and DAS) so I know :D having said that if you passed your bike test years ago and you want to take your car test you don't have to do the car theory test which is bollocks. My mate did his car test this year after being a full bike licence holder for 15 years and he didn't have to take the theory, I was opposite to him (car licence and wanting to do bike licence), ah well it made him laugh :eek:

One thing I toyed with the idea of was getting a bigger bike then restricting it to 33bhp, you can buy kits to do that to most bikes then once your DAS is passed just remove the kit, a bigger bike with one of these kits on will still do over 100mph. As long as you have your CBT and L plates on you can ride any bike with any cc as long as its restricted to 33bhp, even a Hayabusa (don't get one of those though death will visit you quite quickly)

I am still looking for a bike, I was after a Hornet but the price of them takes the piss, likewise with CBR's, so now my bike of the week is the Kawasaki ZX6-R, apparantly they are great and suited to the taller rider more. A good first big bike is meant to be the Suzuki SV650 and also the Suzuki GSX600, the Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat was my choice of bike last week but couldn't find a good one. The one I did read a lot about was the Suzuki SV650 and how it takes to being restricted very well.

Be quick though luv, the test gets way harder in March 2009 and if you want my theory dvd and hazard perception discs PM me with your address and I will send them up to you to keep forever for free!!

Edit - go get a helmet before you do anything, the lenders from the CBT places smell of ear sweat, sneezes and eye AIDS. I got a Shoei because I have a big head, the cheaper helmets tend to have no rhyme or reason on the sizes thats why I shelled out on an XL Shoei. Aldi sometimes have bike gear for dirt cheap.

Really nice people on http://themotorbikeforum.co.uk they are dead helpful and know everything you need to ask, they are nice to newbies as well (unlike here!)

All you need to know (pretty much) - http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Bikes.asp

If you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001 you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.

So yeah if you want to ride anything other than a twat and go (50cc) you need your CBT.

Dunno where abouts in Skirtville you live but this looks a cracking bike - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-SUZUKI-S...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I keep fucking forgetting stuff, it is complicated.

You need a CBT to ride anything over 50cc and up to 33bhp (doesn't have to be a 125cc as long as its restricted to 33bhp), you do not need to take any other test if you are happy pootling around like that but the CBT does run out after 2 years, you then have to take it again and you then have another 2 years, you can do that forever if you want. If you want your full bike licence you have to take the theory test, practical test and CBT, you have to have both the CBT and theory test before you will be allowed to take your practical, the examiner checks this on the day of the test, neither of them then you have just wasted £80. Also the bike test must be taken on a bigger bike if you want your full licence (if its restricted to 33bhp it isn't allowed but fuck knows how they would test for that), usually a 500 or 600 that you would hire from your instructors. So I think that covers it in a nutshell. It all depends on what you want and if L plates would embarass you :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Im not the best person to ask :( I passed my test in 1981, and we didnt really sell learner bikes so I didnt stay very up-to-date with the licence situation. And now I've been out of the game for 2 years I've forgotton what I did know about it anyway :)

As far as the rest of it goes

buy your stuff now, first cos its going to be cheap, second cos it will make you actually do it.

Dont restrict a bike to 33 bhp. Its shit with a capital S and with a load of shit put on top of it, then with added shit all round it.

Honda Hornet is a decent bike, as is a CBR600, they are a bit bland once you get used to them though (sorry Pikey m8 :( )

To sumarize the Jap makes

Honda

Well made well finished bit boring as a rule

Suzuki

Bit more leary, great engineering, poor finish

Yamaha

Bit quirky some of thier bikes, always have been, not afraid to do something different. Better fihish than Suzuki but worse than Honda

Kawasaki

great image I always think, reasonable finish, some well dodgy gearboxes on some of thier bikes.

Bear in mind when you buy the budget models, like the Bandit etc, they dont have as good paint etc as the more expensive models, like sayu the GSXR.

This doesnt apply to Honda so much though, they are very well made indeed.

Trem

Dont restrict a bike to 33 bhp. Its shit with a capital S and with a load of shit put on top of it, then with added shit all round it.

But are they shit when restricted to a novice? Would it matter if someone bought say a Hornet then restricted it to 33bhp if they had absolutely no bike experience?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Its horrible mate. I'd sooner ride a 125 than a bike thats meant to produce 90 horse power and is restricted to 33.

Not only is it amazingly sluggish because of all the extra weight, but the restrictors are literally washers pushed into the inlet tract in front of the carb. i.e. its not high-tech at all, and the poor bike often dont carburate properly, misses and coughs and splutters at various rev points.

The 400s restrict best I used to think, because they only make 59 hp to begin with , so you're halving the power output. Thats bad enough, but do it to a 100hp bike and you can see the huge power loss.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The whole point is the power loss :p It would seem daft to run an engine designed for one power profile at a very different one, though.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
The whole point is it's not designed to work like that, and so wont work properly, if you'd like me to spell it out in shorter words ....

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
CBT Test finished today (I sweer it was SNOWING during it)

next step Theory and Hazard perception.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
was on one of these bikes :

vanvan125K9.jpg

felt bigger and "badder" than a 125 should

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
8.jpg

Lazurus, yesterday.

Trem

My bike (which hasn't been bloody delivered yet!)

I have already ordered proper footpegs and a double bubble screen and I will more than likely remove the pink sticker but maybe not to keep it original.

Attachments

• 1bike.jpg
    1bike.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 43

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Why do you want a 125 after you've passed your test ?? Looney.

Trem keep them pink bits, you'll get used to them I reckon. Looks like a tidy bike mate :)

Uara

Part of the furniture
Yeah Trem keep the pink bits, will make you look all manly ;)

Trem

Trem keep them pink bits, you'll get used to them I reckon. Looks like a tidy bike mate :)

Reckon I might chum. Getting a tad pissed off about lack of delivery now though, will give them until tomorrow to ring me then I will be raging.

Yeah Trem keep the pink bits, will make you look all manly ;)

Hey my Impreza STi had pink bits and I grew to love them, they went with my party dress.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Why do you want a 125 after you've passed your test ?? Looney.

ive only passed the CBT throd. that lets me ride anything upto 125 with learner plates.

If I want a larger engined bike, I need to take the training for that.

What I would like is a runaround 125 that I can practise on.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
this a good un? :|

Attachments

• autotraderad_1_348.jpg
    autotraderad_1_348.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 50

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Theory test passed today.

onwards and upwards

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nice one - well done! :cheers:

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I'd go for something like a Honda as a first bike, they are easy enough to ride, cheap to fix when they go wrong and easy to look after. Go for something bigger after a year or so on the road.

Remember to assume that everyone else on the road wants to kill or in some way damage your person, and you may stay alive long enough to ride something a bit faster. :)

Trem

I love my Ninja, its easy to ride, slow or fast but I agree with Ford, Honda is the way to go.

Finding a good one that isn't knackered, on the hpi register or mega dear is another matter though, thats why I ended up with my Kwak, I got sick of trying to find a good Honda at good money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom