Bets on when my house burns down?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well apartment really, but it's a f*cking firehazard.

Here goes:

I got a extension cord going from the socket and behind my tv stand/bookshelf. In that i got a mobile charger, tv, surround system, a towerfan, a digibox and a playstation hooked up.

But that's not all, from the last socket on the extension cord, is firmly plugged another f*cking extension cord which comes to my computer table. There's a computer, monitor, another towerfan(for the other side of my living room), speakerpowercord and a tabletop lamp.

Anyone had any "slight" problems with this kind of a set-up or are they relatively safe? :eek7:

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I'd advise getting one of those safety cutouts for the wall socket.

Just trying to think of my setup: PC, Monitor, Speakers, Palm Cradle, iPod Cradle, USB Hub Adapter, Network Hub Adapter, Scanner, Printer, Photo Printer, KVM Switch, Lamp, Laptop Charger, Camera Charger, oh and a Trouser Press (!). All running from just two wall sockets.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I suspect it depends on how much your wall socket can cope with.
Mine is connected to a 16amp fuse(in the fusebox), though the other sockets in the house are going through a 32amp fuse.

240v x 16a = 3840w

The most power is going to my PC's 600W PSU, though most devices use considerably less power. My monitor is rated at 45W and my PC probably only uses about 400W when busy, the total is ~450W.

450w/240 = 1.875amps drawn from the socket

I should've done my physics homework all those years back... but this suggests I can use 8 identical PC's from the same socket!* Though I wouldn't recommend it unless you know your stuff, or call someone who does ;)

* I haven't noticed any ratings on wall sockets, but the few times I've opened one up(wallpapering etc oO) The thick cables leading in to them look sturdy enough!

P.S. A towerfan in Finland? oO Maybe turn down the heating? :p

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
the fire service recomends extension cables over those bolcks with a few sockets in

i have have monitor, speackers, computer, clock, phone and shaver all running off one socket and it all seems dandy.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
I ran a LAN party in a pub, with 17 PC's running of one pair of wall sockets. The cables were warm, but there was no fire. (although I dont recommend this behaviour)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Wall sockets are rated 13A in england Escape. Probably similar in other countries. I've chained 12 appliances off one socket before, they were all very low power though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Danya said:
Wall sockets are rated 13A in england Escape. Probably similar in other countries. I've chained 12 appliances off one socket before, they were all very low power though.

Actually they're capable of higher current than that, otherwise drawing 13A or thereabouts from the socket would likely set it on fire.

What you need to remember in any circuit is that so long as the fuse is rated at a significantly lower value than the cable its protecting, you're unlikely to set anything on fire. This is why fitting a 13A fuse to a 40W table lamp is generally considered to be a bad idea, as the cable will blow before the fuse does - by blow, I mean melt and start a fire.

Chilly

Balls of steel
generally the maximum fuse rating you'll get in a plug is 13A which is fair enough, you could jack it up to somwhat higher ampage if you wanted, but make sure its significantly below the total loops maximum or your very liable to blow some shit up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom