Help Best Sounding/Looking 32" LCD TV?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have recently returned my Sony 32" lcd (Sony Bravia KDL32W5500U) for a refund, it developed a big blue line down one side of the screen. I liked the TV and the picture and sound were pretty bloody good but I have lost confidence in Sony now.

We now have the tv out of our bedroom in our front room, this is a 26" Samsung LCD and its a bit shat.

What is the best LCD out there at the minute for not stupid money and not Sony, could do with decent sound as well.

Cheers.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
go seprate, you knows you wants to.

you could have a very good setup for under £1k

Trem

go seprate, you knows you wants to.

you could have a very good setup for under £1k

Need all in one chum, got surround in the other room, I need this one for the room where we spend most of our time. Compact and tidy.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Stick with Sony and get a 5 year warranty. Job done.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
or go out and demo a few screens and pick the one you like

Trem

Stick with Sony and get a 5 year warranty. Job done.

Fuck that!

:eek:

The last one only made it 3 months before going all filled with AIDS.

Fuck Sony, I will not have another telly by them, I do favour Panasonic for my tellys.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Panasonic or Sammy's, you cant go wrong

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Fuck that!

:eek:

The last one only made it 3 months before going all filled with AIDS.

Fuck Sony, I will not have another telly by them, I do favour Panasonic for my tellys.

Well alright, but you had a Sony and you liked it. It went wrong. You got unlucky. One tele going wrong doesn't mean they're all built like shit. What's more, you may end up getting a tele that you think is more reliable but with an inferior sound/picture quality and have it die 2 months after the warranty expires.

The only sensible thing to do is to buy a tele that looks and sounds the way you want it to, then make sure you get a (free) 5 year warranty to cover it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's all up to what you want to spend imho. I bought my mum a 32" LDC for her birthday as her old TV packed up just before. It's a non-brand from comet but the picture is reasonably lush and the thing had built in USB playback, which works?!? It was under £300 iirc.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
samsung and LG are reputed to make pretty good solid TV's these are the two manufacturers im looking at currently for my next telly. ive heard a few ppl complain about sony TV's going tits up in a short space of time especially the bravia series

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Chipper, never go with x brand make good tv's. You need to base your buying on which model you are looking at and then getting reviews for it. They all make good tv's and they all make shit tv's.

Only Bodhi would have you believe otherwise.

Trem

Chipper, never go with x brand make good tv's. You need to base your buying on which model you are looking at and then getting reviews for it. They all make good tv's and they all make shit tv's.

Only Bodhi would have you believe otherwise.

Check the reviews for the Sony I bought (Sony Bravia KDL32W5500U 32-inch Widescreen Full HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics), all very good reviews and yes it was a good tv.......until it got telly AIDS.

I think I will be getting this one when its back in stock - Panasonic TX-L32S20B 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It broke down, it happens. It does not mean the TV is shit.
This is what I'm saying. You got unlucky, Trem - makes absolutely no kind of sense to judge the TV based on one breakdown. Get another, get a warranty, be happy.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I've had my 32" LG LCD screen for nearly 5 years and it has survived 3 house moves. Still no problems, I would always recommend a LG if you want one that will last.

Trem

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Heh they dropped their price! Excellent! I also like Amazon and would prefer to buy from there.
Hope this one works out!

I have had my panasonic for nearly 8 years now and it is still going strong! :(
Still has an excellent picture so I can't bring myself to chuck it out and get a new LCD one...

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Generally you won't go wrong with a 32inch LG. They use the same panels on their 32inch models as the ones they supply for panasonic.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
That would be any TV which isn't made by Samsung. They looks great in the shop with the contrast rates set to full, but look shocking when you get them home. I know a few professional AV Installers through my old job, not a single one would touch a Samsung telly with a bargepole.

Panasonic, Sony and LG seem much better bets in my experience, so I'd go with the Panasonic out of those two.I would have a look on Digital Direct however, they are normally cheaper than Currys, much better service too.

Me? I'm going for a 46" Bravia at the end of the year. My 37" LG has been a brilliant set, but looks a bit small in our new flat. Seems a good excuse for a Bravia to integrate in with all my other Sony kit (phone, tablet, PS3, Stereo, etc etc).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That would be any TV which isn't made by Samsung. They looks great in the shop with the contrast rates set to full, but look shocking when you get them home. I know a few professional AV Installers through my old job, not a single one would touch a Samsung telly with a bargepole.

Panasonic, Sony and LG seem much better bets in my experience, so I'd go with the Panasonic out of those two.I would have a look on Digital Direct however, they are normally cheaper than Currys, much better service too.

Me? I'm going for a 46" Bravia at the end of the year. My 37" LG has been a brilliant set, but looks a bit small in our new flat. Seems a good excuse for a Bravia to integrate in with all my other Sony kit (phone, tablet, PS3, Stereo, etc etc).
Strange considering up until recently Sammy/Sony had a partnership in the production of all LCD panels used in their tv sets. Sony sold their half back to Sammy and now purchase the panels direct from Sammy. The only real difference between a Sammy and Sony TV is the firmware and appearance.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Strange considering up until recently Sammy/Sony had a partnership in the production of all LCD panels used in their tv sets. Sony sold their half back to Sammy and now purchase the panels direct from Sammy. The only real difference between a Sammy and Sony TV is the firmware and appearance.

Yep. And trust me, that firmware makes one hell of a difference.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I can't trust you on this as my Samsung TV is/was fantastic. It replaced a 1 year old Sony. There are much much better TV's now though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have a good Samsung telly and a good Samsung monitor too... No particular reason, the TV was a gift and the monitor was cheap.

Though one thing I will say is that when we first got the TV the picture wasn't that good, it was actually quite grainy. Within a week or so of use it was fine, whether they need to be broken in, I don't know.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have 2 Samsung TVs and a Samsung monitor. Once setup correctly they are as good as any TV out there.

soze

I am a FH squatter
On mine I had to tweak it i went to AV Forums found a few set up guides changed the settings and it has looked fantastic ever since.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah, it may have been random fiddling with settings that sorted it I suppose.

Trem

I have to say since making this thread I have been amazingly happy with the Panasonic I bought, superb picture and reliability, the sound is a bit weedy but I guess thats the norm.

I will NEVER buy any other telly than a Panasonic again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom