Best (none Apple) MP3 Player?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Hi my nerdy luvs.

My boy wants an MP3 player for his Birthday. I want something that obviously plays music and videos would be nice as well.

I really don't want iTunes anywhere near my innocent little boys brain (or mine for that matter) as it is defintely riddled with bad AIDS.

Are the Sony ones any good? If not any others I should consider?

Advice, as always, appreciated.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I had the runs as well this morning Big G, my hole is proper sore now. :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I would go for the Creative Zen but only because I am a bit of a fanboy.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well, all I know is that I've not know an ipod to die yet, despite the age. My oldest one is a 4 year old ipod touch. My cousin has a 2nd gen ipod that works perfectly still.

Itunes may be bloated, but the hardware is good. I've no idea on the build quality of the sony's, heard the zen's aren't the best though.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
I use iTunes with out quicktime and all other related shit, works perfectly fine.

Google itunes switchless.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Well, all I know is that I've not know an ipod to die yet, despite the age. My oldest one is a 4 year old ipod touch. My cousin has a 2nd gen ipod that works perfectly still.

Itunes may be bloated, but the hardware is good. I've no idea on the build quality of the sony's, heard the zen's aren't the best though.

My second gen died (started doing a weird skipping tracks thing then crapped out completely). My Touch still works fine after nearly four years, but I've pretty much stopped using it and moved my music to my Galaxy Tab (despite owning a work iPhone), just because that's my "media" device (Kindle, epub, games and video as well).

On topic - iPod and suck it up. Or the lad's going to have to fight everyone in his school every time he gets backchat for not having an iPod.

gohan

FH is my second home
i had a creative zen was really good only like £100 when i bought it 3 years ago, worked fine up until about 3 months ago, still works but have to have a pin handy to reset it alot as it crashes randomly

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Always been a fan of Creative myself, the older models like the Zen NX or the recent Vision M are well built. Never been a fan of the ipod never liked the interface and the click wheel. Heard good things about the Walkman ones and goods things about the Archsos models larger than 60gb. Can you get rid of the ipod os and root it with something else?

Just go down to a big store like John Lewis or Bestbuy etc and look through them, see what catches your eye.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Oh god, iPod, really?

It is just so fucking shit to use, especially for my boy who has a temper and attention span worse than mine when it comes to doing things.

iTunes is surely the devils semen.

FFS, I might let him have a play with someone elses iPod to see if he can suss it out.

Or I may order a Sony and let him mess with that and if he hates it return it......hmmmmm.

Thanks for the input so far sweethearts

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I use Winamp to put music on my iPod, so you don't have to go near iTunes at all.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
platinum-zune-hd-rm-eng-gg.jpg

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Zune? Microsoft dropped the ball there, it is a cracking bit of kit but they didn't market it properly anywhere and only released in North America. I would still buy a Zune HD over any ipod though.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Yeah a shame they did that really. You can buy them 2nd hand, but prizes are still steep.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
i have an old 8GB Creative Zen, never failed me yet :)

I am using a 2gb sumvision, old as the hills but it works well, battery lasts a gazillion hours and the sound output is suprisingly strong for such a cheap and cheerful player.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I've got a £20 4gb player I found at Lidl, it's been working flawlessly for about 3 years now. And even if it breaks it's not like I couldn't replace it with a brand new one :p

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
I'd recommend the Creative Zen too if you're not an Ipod fan. It just seems solid and mine hasn't falied me yet. Plenty to choose from in the range too.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
sure I saw the platinum Zune HD on Amazon uk....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom