Best albums of 2004?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Ballard said:
Ween - Quebec

Oh my God! Are they still going? They are one of my most hated bands ever. They're like a bad joke at a funeral. One of the few bands that has actually made me destroy a stereo.

Still, if you like 'em :)

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Been disappointed with most stuff this year. But my vote will go to..

Kinobe - Wide Open

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Christ, only one person mentioned Brian Wilson - Smile? This has got to be the best contemporary album I've listened to in two or three years, easily. Absolutely, utterly, fantastically brilliant. It's like a fun piece of classical music, with clever repetition and expansion of melodic themes, made in an easy-going, enjoyable, pseudo-"surfer-pop" style and without any of the pretentiousness that classical music typically has.

Wonderful. It may have taken 30 years to arrive, but what a wonderful result.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Louster said:
Christ, only one person mentioned Brian Wilson - Smile? This has got to be the best contemporary album I've listened to in two or three years, easily. Absolutely, utterly, fantastically brilliant. It's like a fun piece of classical music, with clever repetition and expansion of melodic themes, made in an easy-going, enjoyable, pseudo-"surfer-pop" style and without any of the pretentiousness that classical music typically has.

Wonderful. It may have taken 30 years to arrive, but what a wonderful result.

I do agree there, but most of the songs i have heard over the last 5 years or so in one form or another. Saying that, this is the Brian Wilson cut so yeah you are right.

Brian Wilson - Smile

The entire album is incredible and the loon deserves some recognition.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Snow Patrol - Final Straw

My best buy all year.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
It worries me the amount of people suggesting that the Scissor Sisters produced the album of the year. They get automatically discounted from this JUST for sounding like the Bee Gees. Oh yeah and for being a bunch of unmitigated shite, but I guess that comes from the Bee Gees influence.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Heard Brian Wilson - Smile round my mums Boxing Day as my stepdad got it. Sounded ok but I would guess it takes a few listenings before I could properly appreciate it.
Might bag me a copy some time in the near future even if it's just because it's 'that album that took 27 years by that beach boy bloke'.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
SMiLE is moving up my list at an alarming rate at the moment.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
I've heard from other people that it's pretty good. Is it very similar to The Beach Boys?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Jonaldo said:
Heard Brian Wilson - Smile round my mums Boxing Day as my stepdad got it.

I can't think of a better reason not to buy it to be honest. Scratch my previous post, it must be shit.

Parent music...... Uuuuuuurgh ;)

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Bodhi said:
It worries me the amount of people suggesting that the Scissor Sisters produced the album of the year. They get automatically discounted from this JUST for sounding like the Bee Gees. Oh yeah and for being a bunch of unmitigated shite, but I guess that comes from the Bee Gees influence.

After all, you prefer East 17...........

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Gurnox said:
I can't think of a better reason not to buy it to be honest. Scratch my previous post, it must be shit.

Parent music...... Uuuuuuurgh ;)

Parent music;

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin..

You telling me that you like none of the above? Bit harsh to say something is shit just because it was around 25 odd years ago.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Jonaldo said:
Parent music;

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin..

You telling me that you like none of the above? Bit harsh to say something is shit just because it was around 25 odd years ago.

:)

A good point well made.

Though, in my defence, you could also say Cliff Richard, Abba, Bonnie Tyler, Slade, The Bay City Rollers and God knows how many other truly appaling bands. Maybe my parents just had bad taste. :)

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
True, when I was growing up my mother was listening to Boney M, UB40, Level 42 and Luther Vandross, oh and Sadé.

But for every Cliff Richard there was a Jimi Hendrix, for every Abba there were The Doors.. :p

Bodhi

Gurnox said:
After all, you prefer East 17...........
Yes, much in the same way I'd rather have syphillis than AIDS.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Jonaldo said:
True, when I was growing up my mother was listening to Boney M, UB40, Level 42 and Luther Vandross, oh and Sadé.

But for every Cliff Richard there was a Jimi Hendrix, for every Abba there were The Doors.. :p

Thankfully. :)

Bodhi........ Has Mr. Brain gone nighty-night?

Bodhi

I don't know has it? What I said made sense to me, comparing one nasty thing to something horrific, saying I'd rather have the nasty one. Just in case you didn't get it

East 17 = Syphillis
Scissor Sisters - AIDS.

Now it really wasnt that hard to work out was it?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Bodhi said:
East 17 = Syphillis
Scissor Sisters - AIDS.

So, where would cancer sit in your rather insensitive and immature musical equation? Take That perhaps?

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
You'll get used to Bodhi's groundbreakingingly humourous, mature well thought out comments all across these boards. No guy makes me laugh out quite as loud as him, he really does make these boards come alive with wit and outrageous tomfoolery.

Genuine funny guy with great taste in everything.

I model myself on him in real life.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
I forgot that he is so controversial aswell, an explicit specimen of a man!

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Doomy said:
I forgot that he is so controversial aswell, an explicit specimen of a man!

A legend. A true star. An utter fucking tool.

Bodhi

I'm flattered guys no really. You're almost making me care over here.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Id be proud if i invented the new sport of 'Extreme Typing'.

Bodhi

I am. I'm also very proud that two people with the combined personality of a turnip don't approve of it.

Yay me.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Hang on hang on. how about ABBA = GREAT POP BANDand DOORS = OVERRATED BOLLOCKY PRETENTIOUS feat.BAD BEAT POET WITH PRETTY HAIR AND NICE EYES.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Chutes too Narrow was 2003 not 2004. But let me say that this is one of the best albums I have bought for years. Utter blinder of an LP.

Bloop

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
I am. I'm also very proud that two people with the combined personality of a turnip don't approve of it.

Yay me.

This post made me giggle. Out of place and off topic but I don't care. Meep. :)

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Bodhi said:
I'm flattered guys no really. You're almost making me care over here.

Look, I can understand people wanting to rip of Richard Edwards (With the whole 'I hope xxx gets AIDS thing') but there are a few things you must realise:

- He suffered from severe mental illness.
- He contributed to the world by way of some amazing lyrics.
- He was a genius
- He apologised for his comments when he realised that they were a tad out of order.

As far as I can make out, you do not suffer from mental illness. You have certainly not written a song that can be compared to, say, 'Faster' or 'Revol' and, believe me, you are no genius.

So there is only one thing left that you can do to truly live up to someone who is, quite blatantly, your idol.

But still, I may be wrong. After all, this has been known to happen. If this is the case, I will leave you with a thought:

This is a nice safe internet forum where you can, pretty much, get away with what you want. If you were to come out with the sort of shit that you come out with on here in the real world you would, and probably will at some point in the near future, get quite a severe and righteous kicking.

So, and I've been waiting to use this one for a while (Cheers Trem!), wind yer neck in twatbag!

mank!

Part of the furniture
Gurnox, as much as I love you and love that post with all my heart...

...It was Nicky who made the AIDs comment, not Richey. I've got it on mp3 because I'm hardcore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom