Best 1 on 1 Strategy Games

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Was wondering, what do you think is the best 1 on 1 strategy game? I have just networked my new PC to an old one in my bedroom and currently figuring out about getting me wireless network sorted from downstairs for internet access. In the mean time, myself and a m8 sat last nite playing Q3 and WC3 duels for a good few hours.. the problem I have is my 2nd pc is only a P2 400, 356mb RAM and a 64mb Gf2 Mx400. My m8s piss at Quake 3 but decent enough for a challenge at Strat games so I was wondering if you know any decent Strat games, that would run with even lowest end settings and would last for at least a few hours playability. I currently already have:
  • Warcraft 3. Access to FT too.
  • Age of Empires 1, Expansion. Age of Empires 2, Expansion. and the Age of Mythology or summit with the Gods etc. Also the Star Wars game based on AOE kinda.
  • Total Annihalation \o/
  • Z - The greatest tbh.
  • Worms 2, Arma and World Party. Got 3D for GC.

Anyone else suggest some stuff we can play? And if not, whats your favourite 1 on 1 Strat game and why?

Daf

Fledgling Freddie
Combat Mission is a great game (theres another thread about it just below), if u like ww2 and 'real' physics.

Original runs great on my p2 400 too

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Will take a look.. :) Thanks.

Also, I know it aint the place for it but anyone got a GTA Win XP patch? Got the original, cba downloading the new one @ like 350mb or summit cause they've capped there server to 12kb/s tops.

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Ooo cant believe I didnt think of that.. we were talkin about it too :/ damn korean addicts :]

Daf

Fledgling Freddie
Uncle Sick said:
Close Combat series... 1 on 1's rocked.

Ohhh how could i forget CC2: A Bridge Too Far, used to have some great 1v1's over the modem on that.

RedVenom

Banned
Daf said:
Ohhh how could i forget CC2: A Bridge Too Far, used to have some great 1v1's over the modem on that.

You lie you nasty little man :(

TA is the best strategy game in the history of ever. Play this until you die, or if you want huge comedy then play C&C.

Brockie

Fledgling Freddie
I liked Tiberian Sun 1 on 1. Probably a little too dated now though.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Daf said:

Nothing beats CC ambushes... :D

Two man flamethrower team lying still in a hedgerow as the little Stuart rumbles closer - you know it will wipe out your infantry if it passes.
*wooosh!* It goes up in flames! Ahhh... the relief I used to feel when a plan worked out.

CC4 and CC5 were pretty good, too - with the off-map arty and air support.
I will try and find CC2 to 5 again here. Forgot my copies when we moved to the US.

Such a great game. :D

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Prolly would say Myth 2, the best of the myth series, used to have a huge community not so much now, but 1 on 1 is great. Myth 2 was ground Control before its time, pick your units at start and play the many game types CTF KOTH DM etc.. made by Bungie, actually many of the names in Halo were taken from the Myth and Marathon series for example Covenant was the name of a great city in Myth.

Kinda strayed from the point, great game for 1 on 1, also try star wars supremacy for not so bad 1 on 1 action.

Casbardh

Loyal Freddie
TA? Whats that one? I havent heard of it!

The best one on one that got me started on RTS is Combat Mission 2.

Nice tank v tank battles, firefights in towns, and a need to use your brain which always goes a long way!

This is going to sound terrbile, but the realistic sound files for each weapon went a long way to making this different...knowing what youve run into is a great help. Knwoing youve MP34's firing at you, rather than the sound of an MG42, made all the difference..to your men!

Anyone ever play Sid Meirs Gettysburg or Antietam? A RTS based on thsoe Americna Civil war Battles. Played with regiments, borken down inti brigades that you march across the Battlefield...

I hear they used Gettysburg at West Point due to its value at teaching how things develope in battles...

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Casbardh said:
Knwoing youve MP34's firing at you, rather than the sound of an MG42, made all the difference..to your men!

Anyone ever play Sid Meirs Gettysburg or Antietam? A RTS based on thsoe Americna Civil war Battles. Played with regiments, borken down inti brigades that you march across the Battlefield...

MP40? MG34? Heh... anyway.

I played Sid Meier's Gettysburg and wasn't too thrilled by it. But I am more of a WWII grognard anyway.

TA is one of the typical whoever-rushes-first-wins-games.
Just like C&C, Starcraft and all it's combined clones.

Rush 5 gazillion tanks in your typical C&C/KoreaCraft clone and you'll win for sure.
It's just a matter who has more of ubar-unit xyz.
The phrase "zerging" someone in certain games wasn't invented for no reason.

Try rushing a concealed MG42 position in Close Combat... or rushing your oh-so-powerful Tiger down an alley way right by a bazooka team or an AT gun and see what you get.

I vividly remember - and that was years ago - playing a CC2 campaign on allied, juggling around 3 PIAT teams against 4 King Tigers. Edge of seat stuff.

Have your men hightail it because they can't stand the suppressing fire anymore........... Ah, I really have to get my hands on a copy again.

RIP, Atomic Games - really. :(

But... as far as I know some of the devs there were involved in Combat Mission 2 (which is a delicious game) and Wartime Command.

Check it out

Casbardh

Loyal Freddie
..corrects his errors..

Casbardh said:
The best one on one that got me started on RTS is Combat Mission 2.

Insert Close Combat 2 in the above instead of Combat mission....

Shame the series lost it towards ebd of its life, it just got prettier, but not much more clever, and the AI seemed to be missing something.

The 3rd in the series, the Russian Front one, was the middle ground I think.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
We-ell... they started greatly enhancing gameplay with the third part - like off map artillery and being able to determine your units facing.

3, 4 and 5 certainly weren't good single player wise (as CC2 was) as far as challenge went but being able to use airstrikes (which just rocked) or off map artillery was lovely.

Part 4 kind of sucked because playing Axis was just too easy - even against a seasoned human player. Once you had figured out how the reinforcements came in, you won.

Part 5 was rushed out too early - I guess that was Ubisofts doing, though.
*wipes tears off*

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Uncle Sick said:
TA is one of the typical whoever-rushes-first-wins-games.
Just like C&C, Starcraft and all it's combined clones.

You are so very, very wrong.

:/

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Sir Frizz said:
You are so very, very wrong.

:/

I played TA - but mind, I am very picky (anal even) when it comes to 'serious' RTS games.

So in short: I didn't mean to bad-mouth anyone's taste in RTS games. :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Medival: Total War rocks in multiplayer... needs a decent 500mhz rig or better to run though.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Deacan said:
Have you played Blitzkrieg Uncle Sick?

I played the demo and it wasn't too bad - maybe a little too arcadey, if you know what I mean.

I am putting my hopes in Wartime Commander - it looks and feels like there is on serious RTS hit in progress there.
And the graphics are just bloody awesome. :D

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Close Combat series
Chess Online [despite being turn based]

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Starcraft \o/

Just ordered another copy from Play cos I've missed it :)

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Ivan said:
Close Combat series
Chess Online [despite being turn based]

Get Wartime Commander when it's out and watch me take Russia for real this time. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom