Question Being a divvy

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Errr I think I am being a divvy... how can I find out in Vista what make/model/settings etc my RAM is please? I want to get another 2Gb but want to try to match it all :(

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ummm right then... thanks chaps... next question then, as I'm befuddled.

I have right now 2x1Gb sticks in slots 1 and 3 of my Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R mobo... the memory is corsair PC2-6400 (400 MHz) RAM, part number CM2X1024-6400.

The CPU is a Q6600 Kentsfield.

Running Vista 64bit OS what would folks recommend for an upgrade? No megabucks to be spent, just looking for a bit more RAM for running WAR. Should I try to get another 2x1024 to match current memory or go for all new? I take it I can't run (or at least gain any benefit) newer RAM together with this, right?

Ta muchly!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I would certainly recommend 4gb for Vista 64bit, runs sexily, like Jup in a leotard.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
ta chum, im getting a ginger haired african american lesbian blind dwarf to proof read everything before i post it in future, just in case i hurt the bleeding heart liberals.

and Jup, 4gig > 2 gig - try and get the same stuff though :m00:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I have 4gb (4x1gb) of 1066Mhz Kingston I'm willing to part with Jupizor if the price is right ;)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
How accurate is CPU-Z at getting component specs right?

It tells me my motherboard has PCI-Express which I didnt think it had.
It says I have an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard. I can't really check that right now.

If it does have PCI-Express what graphics card would fit that motherboard?
I have an Nvidia 7600GT at the moment...which could be either PCI-Express or AGP which I can't check right now either...

Kryten

Old Cow.
Should be just about spot on as it'll get the details from the BIOS and board itself. Yeah, the A8N has PCI-Express (the SLI version has 2) and will take plenty of cards - the most powerful I would bother fitting to it would be 8800/9600 or possibly even the 9800GT range of cards, much more and the lack of bandwidth will sap any extra oomph the higher end cards would like to give you.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Thanks Kryten!

I'm prob better off waiting 6 months and then buy a new PC anyway. This one is getting on a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom