Battlefield 3 Insane FPS spikes

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So I just bought it today after much persuasion from a few norwegian friends and I must say the game impressed me alot, that is until the insane FPS spikes started :/ basically one minute I can be running at 60-70 FPS constant then all of a sudden it drops to 5-10 FPS for about 10-15 seconds and i've got NFI whats causing it.

At first I thought it might be my gfx card as its fairly dated now - ATI HD 4890 - I was going to get a 6850 awhile back but I opted out of it until prices dropped abit more.

Anyone else having similar issues? i've read around online and some people with top I7's/good ram and top end graphics cards are having the same problems but no one knows whats causing it exactly as its not happening during set events its totally random.

System specs i'm running it on at the moment are:

AMD 965 Black Edition oc'd to 3.8ghz
6gig DDR3 ram
ATI HD 4890

Running everything on BF3 @ High

Some people i've already asked says its most likely my card although i'm not having any issues with other taxing games like Crysis 2/Deus Ex running @ high settings
Edit:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Was playing just now on Caspian Border, FPS is a steady 43-50 on that level but spikes randomly to 9 FPS every XX seconds.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well seems to be some problems with the game, tend to get random disconnetcs every 4-8 maps, having some fps spikes aswell. Something i find wierd sometimes a map takes over 5 min to load, next map loads instantly, and map after, then have another 5 min load time. But love the metro map, engineer with shotgun and antitank rounds, fire off antitank rounds up or down the side stairs, get a few kills, then rush up blast away with shotgun to clear the stairs, then back down to stock up ammo. Best charge this far was 18 kills, then down and up again for another 10 before someone saw me and killed me. :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
There are fixes for some of the problems you mentioned Fafnir :) sadly not for the FPS Spikes tho, alot of people are complaining about it. I really wish EA would atleast give some sort of info about them fixing it etc, its obviously something wrong with Battlefield 3 because the pool of people its effecting have such a wide/different range of Graphics cards, processors etc.

"If you're stuck at the “Joining Server” message or experience long load times on Win 7 64-bit systems
- Start regedit
- Browse to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WoW6432Node/EA Games
- Change the GDFBinary & InstallDir paths to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Games\Battlefield 3
- Try to launch the game and join game servers, and it should work."

"Fix Disconnections: (Disconnections immediate or every 10-20 mins)

-Turn OFF UPNP.

Firewall Blocking / etc

- Boot MSconfig in start. Disable ur Firewall and AV if its a windows based one. Disable any other process there that might affect u and reboot.

ECN Packets has been enabled by a Net Speed Tool

To fix this :
1. open a CMD prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR
2. type "netsh"
3. type "int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled"

ECN packets are Refused by EA. These are FAKE packets to fool the connection.

Set BF3 PC in DMZ on your router.

-Note will expose the computer, and the PC will not be protected by the routers firewall.
-Make sure you have your windows firewall enabled.
-This should be a "last resort" measure."

EDIT: various other tweaks can be found @ http://sonsofvalour.forumotion.co.nz/t687-battlefield-3-tweaks-and-fixes

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
There are fixes for some of the problems you mentioned Fafnir :) sadly not for the FPS Spikes tho, alot of people are complaining about it. I really wish EA would atleast give some sort of info about them fixing it etc, its obviously something wrong with Battlefield 3 because the pool of people its effecting have such a wide/different range of Graphics cards, processors etc.

"If you're stuck at the “Joining Server” message or experience long load times on Win 7 64-bit systems
- Start regedit
- Browse to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WoW6432Node/EA Games
- Change the GDFBinary & InstallDir paths to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Games\Battlefield 3
- Try to launch the game and join game servers, and it should work."

"Fix Disconnections: (Disconnections immediate or every 10-20 mins)

-Turn OFF UPNP.

Firewall Blocking / etc

- Boot MSconfig in start. Disable ur Firewall and AV if its a windows based one. Disable any other process there that might affect u and reboot.

ECN Packets has been enabled by a Net Speed Tool

To fix this :
1. open a CMD prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR
2. type "netsh"
3. type "int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled"

ECN packets are Refused by EA. These are FAKE packets to fool the connection.

Set BF3 PC in DMZ on your router.

-Note will expose the computer, and the PC will not be protected by the routers firewall.
-Make sure you have your windows firewall enabled.
-This should be a "last resort" measure."

EDIT: various other tweaks can be found @ http://sonsofvalour.forumotion.co.nz/t687-battlefield-3-tweaks-and-fixes
Will have a look at this next week when im off work, wont have time this week... :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Dear XXX XXX,
This email is to acknowledge placement of order number XXXXXXXXX.
Order date and time: 2 Nov, 11, 10:36 am.
Your order consisted of the following items:

Item Qty Price
HIS ATI Radeon HD 6850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1 £89.99
Sub Total: £89.99
DPD Next Day Parcel
Shipping: £8.25
Total Vat: £19.65
Total inc Vat:
£117.89

Lets see if that sorts out the FPS spikes, if it doesnt EA can go and fuck themselves because i'm a Stingy bastard at times and spending £107 on a new graphics card has truely dented my Stinge factor.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well seems to be some problems with the game, tend to get random disconnetcs every 4-8 maps, having some fps spikes aswell. Something i find wierd sometimes a map takes over 5 min to load, next map loads instantly, and map after, then have another 5 min load time.

What? An EA/DICE release that has fuckloads of random bugs that can, on occasion, make the game unplayable?

What? The bugs are just on the border of acceptable so you'll keep playing but experience a lot of frustration with what would otherwise be a great game?

What? Kids are now passing around "fixes" to problems not-at-all-caused-by-shoddy-professionalism which potentially leaves their PC's wide open? Again??

What? You think EA/DICE haven't simply just cynically released the beta version with the finished product due in about 12 months after various patches?

You're clearly mad! They definitely haven't done this for every. single. release. since Battlefield 1942, have they? Oh :(

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
I have played for about 20 hours total now, not had one single problem oO

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
ive had no probs either , nvidia 580 gt

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
HD 4770 here btw.. pretty old card, but no problems with BF3.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Spanking new ATI Sapphire Toxic 6950 (with bios to enable 1536 shaders) and it works lovely. Had to shoehorn it into the case!

Btw, how does one display ingame FPS?

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Spanking new ATI Sapphire Toxic 6950 (with bios to enable 1536 shaders) and it works lovely. Had to shoehorn it into the case!

ALT+F4? :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

press ` and type "Render.drawfps 1" - it doesnt save for some reason tho and you cant add it to the config file because cuntos that is EA made the config file a fucking hex file >< lol, so unless you work out how to make it perma you have to keep typing it everytime you start BF3 up.

if you do find out how to keep it on tho do share because its getting rather frustrating having to retype it all the time.

EDIT: Might be worth keeping an eye on this program i've just found on the net http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154145

allows you to change the config file etc etc, looks quite nifty!

Zede

Part of the furniture
crashes every other game if i'm lucky. really cba playing like this, which is a shame, but it is EA so expected.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I have played for about 20 hours total now, not had one single problem oO

Yep. Is the common reply I've heard from people on every single BF release. Saying "I smoke but haven't died of cancer" doesn't make you immortal...

Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean that it's not a buggy piece of shit.

crashes every other game if i'm lucky. really cba playing like this, which is a shame, but it is EA so expected.

For every Keitanz there's a Zede. Or something.

I bolded the bit of Zede's post that I'd have typed myself. It is exactly what I knew I'd be hearing on the release of the game.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Yep. Is the common reply I've heard from people on every single BF release. Saying "I smoke but haven't died of cancer" doesn't make you immortal...

Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean that it's not a buggy piece of shit.

For every Keitanz there's a Zede. Or something.

I bolded the bit of Zede's post that I'd have typed myself. It is exactly what I knew I'd be hearing on the release of the game.

Shiney new win 7, 8 gig o' ram, 200 quid new gfx card PC too :(

throdgrain

FH is my second home
What? An EA/DICE release that has fuckloads of random bugs that can, on occasion, make the game unplayable?

What? The bugs are just on the border of acceptable so you'll keep playing but experience a lot of frustration with what would otherwise be a great game?

What? Kids are now passing around "fixes" to problems not-at-all-caused-by-shoddy-professionalism which potentially leaves their PC's wide open? Again??

What? You think EA/DICE haven't simply just cynically released the beta version with the finished product due in about 12 months after various patches?

You're clearly mad! They definitely haven't done this for every. single. release. since Battlefield 1942, have they? Oh :(

I find all this difficult to beleive!!! :eek:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
6850 fixed the fps issues I was having :) having literally no problems now, no random dc's, no fps spikes, no errors or crashes :p steady fps, lowest its dropped so far is 45 fps in a full out fire fight.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved

That's the one I tried to get before BF3's release. Sold out everywhere, so I settled for Sapphire's 6950 Dirt 3 edition. BF3 looks amazing.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's the one I tried to get before BF3's release. Sold out everywhere, so I settled for Sapphire's 6950 Dirt 3 edition. BF3 looks amazing.
Unlucky. I did the bios switch and voila, 1536 shaders, 880mhz clock, 1300mhz memory and it can still be overclocked more :)

Currently running an Intel E8400 C0 which apparently loves to be overclocked. Might have a play a little later tonight with that.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Taking that back, its started spiking yet again.. this is starting to get frustrating now. I know the card can handle this as can the CPU and ram so what on earth could be causing these spikes? can't be my net either, did a speed test @ speedtest.net which is showing 0 packet loss / solid connection.

Mabs

is it punkbuster?
cos it does checks, etc, at random times, could be that ?

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Doin this

2) Turn OFF - AA - DEFERED
3) Turn OFF - VSYNC
4) Turn OFF - Motion Blur

And not disconnecting anymore, and maps loads instantly...

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Fafnir said:
Doin this

2) Turn OFF - AA - DEFERED
3) Turn OFF - VSYNC
4) Turn OFF - Motion Blur

And not disconnecting anymore, and maps loads instantly...

Is that something you turn off via the game or graphics card control panel?

Mabs

with nvidia, you can set properties per game/program in the nvidia control panel, that will override the game settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom