Batteries.

Gray

It's my birthday today!
Heres something id never think of bringing up, but by gawd i think i shall!

About 18-24month ago i got myself a Logitech Bluetooth MX900 mouse, for the duration of time its been an awesome mouse, never really let me down.

In the past, there was some issues with charging it up, because when i put the mouse into the base station, it sometimes wouldnt "recognise" being there, so therefor it would just not do anything.

It has LEDs on the mouse, when it flashes Green, it means its charging up, if it flashes Red, it means the batteries are low and it needs a charge. Well, on.. Tuesday/Wednesday, my mouse was indicatating that the batteries was low, and it needed a charge.

"Ah sod it, im sure it'll be fine for a an hour or so". I kinda forgot and so MANY hours later, i come to use the mouse, and find that its completely dead, no life in it what so ever. When i put it into the base station for a [hopeful] charge, it didnt do Jack.

Bugger.

So, at the time i just told my mum to get me some AA Rechargable batteries, i mean, its not like you need a physics degree to get the batteries right? So. She picks up any old pack, which is fine, i put them in "Hurrah! we're off again..." i decided to do a test-charge, put it on charge for a few hours and stuff so, i put it into the base station...

It begins to light green [YAY] but then about 5 seconds later, it starts flashing Red very very fast, as in once/twice a second - Much faster occurence than the "Im low on juice, fill me up" warning.

I decide to then check Logitechs site, it says under the FAQ for the problem i have:

The MX700 mouse is factory-fitted with two rechargeable batteries. These Ni-MH rechargeable batteries rated at 1.2V and 1700mAh/1800mAh were especially selected for this mouse and should only be replaced with new rechargeable batteries of same type at end of life. (Ni-MH 1500-2300mAh).

Now, voltages and whatever isnt my fortay, electronics didnt interest me much, but i thought "ah what the hell, i'll just go pickup some Duracell, they seem to be perfect for almost everything". So, i goes out myself and collects some Duracell Plus.

Note, the packaging says absolutely fuckall about power outputs or anything, infact its completely different than the batteries that were in the mouse as standard and the ones my mum got. Anyway, needless to say, these ones didnt charge up either [Fuck] meaning i have to be careful and not use the PC heavily [Finally, a reason to stop using it!] because otherwise i'll be going through batteries like god knows what.

Batteries that come with Mouse: Ni-MH 1.2v 1800mAh
Batteries mum got : Ni-Cad [Problem right there] 1.5v 700mAh
Duracell Plus : Doesnt say type, 1.5v, doesnt say power.

HOWEVER, on the Duracells, it shows as: Alkaline; MN1500; LR6; 1.5v

Theyre not clear at all, plus the packaging is way out of date anyway [FIFA 2006 competition??!] so that probably means that not much information was fitted onto them.

Now, i can continue to see about getting batteries every single week, but to be honest, that isnt the best option available really, WHY does it have to be a certain battery type for this shit - I dont wat to keep spending the cash if the batteries wont charge after a while, since its £5 per pop pretty much.

After getting the batteries i can hope it was that, and my mouse isnt on the way out [Damn i love this mouse being Bluetooth and all!]

Grrr

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm, a little odd sounding.

First up, don't worry about the voltages on rechargeable and regular batteries, as I understand it that voltage difference exists for a reason but doesn't actually make a different to the devices you stick it into. Although, perhaps there are some in existence that might be sensitive to a a 0.3v difference, but I'd say in the realm of consumer electronics that's unlikely.

As for the mAh, I just checked my MX700 and I've actually got a set of Energizer 2500mAh in at the moment (I'd bought them for an old digital camera). They're otherwise the same as the originals (1.2 volt, Ni-MH). They charge fine in the base-station.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I am totally confused as to why you don't just go and buy some Ni-Mh batteries?

The duracell batteries are just standard AA alkaline batteries, I don't recall the last time I saw anything but the voltage listed on disposable alkaline batteries.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You've just reminded me that I didn't put my mouse on charge before I left and it only had one green light left. :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Grey, you need to get the same type rechargeable bats as the ones you already have. Ie if you have Ni-MH you need to go to the shops and get Ni-MH ones. The higher the rated power, ie xxxx mAh, the longer they will last before you have to charge them again.

It's usually not a good idea to put a Ni-Cad bat on a Ni-MH charger and the other way round. "Not a good idea" is TdC-speak for don't do this btw, and it's also not a good idea to try to recharge a regular bat.

Gray

It's my birthday today!
So its only because theyre not listed as being Ni-MH? It shouldnt have any effect on voltages or the mAh power? Thought Duracell wouldnt have much of a problem since well... theyre Duracell... Never really had to look at something so closely like batteries to make sure theyre the right brand.

I did go into Woolworths mind... they didnt have too much on the actual shelf, probably have to look around some of the other shops for the selective brand. hm

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Maplins will be the best place. I got 8x 2500mAh rechargeable AA's for £14.99 recently.

The reason why you don't put Ni-Cad in a Ni-MH charger is because they have to be charged different ways, and I believe doing so is a considerable fire risk! Similar with trying to recharge non-rechargeable batteries.

Vae

Resident Freddy
One other thing is that you mention the mouse isn't charging in the cradle - Have you checked to see if the contacts on the mouse are making a good contact with the contacts in the cradle or are they dusty/dirty hence it not charging because there's no connection?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Gray said:
So its only because theyre not listed as being Ni-MH? It shouldnt have any effect on voltages or the mAh power? Thought Duracell wouldnt have much of a problem since well... theyre Duracell... Never really had to look at something so closely like batteries to make sure theyre the right brand.

I did go into Woolworths mind... they didnt have too much on the actual shelf, probably have to look around some of the other shops for the selective brand. hm

We do some cheap energiser rechargeable ni-mh batteries, but good luck finding them! It is Christmas after all.

I got 8 AA ni-mh batteries and a charger for them for a tenner last year.
Check places like Superdrug and Boots they do some cheap ones as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom