Batman killed my graphics card!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Windows 7, Nvidia 8800GT (about 4.5 years old IIRC).

I was playing Arkham Asylum before (the bit where you're looking for Mr Freeze to be exact) and the computer switched a couple of times to desktop and back, before running really quite slowly. So I quit the game and started watching YouTube. Then the computer threw a wobbler, so I turned it off at the back and went out for a bike ride.

I've just turned it back on and it got as far as the password entry screen (Win7) before rebooting. Lots of strange little coloured lines as it did so, which remained even on the BIOS screen you see when you first turn a PC on.

It works fine in safe mode, even in 1680x1050 (my standard resolution), but not when I boot up normally. I've done a clean update of the Nvidia drivers to no avail. I'm writing this now in safe mode.

So has Batman buggered my graphics card? Is there a diagnostics tool I can use to find out? I'm scanning the computer now in case it's infected with a virus or something, but those coloured lines on the BIOS screen....well....

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
more likely your card has end of lifed at the time you were playing batman than batman killed your card but it does sound pretty dead to me..

Yaka

Part of the furniture
it could have cooked it self. but most of the time giving the card cooler a good clean not just blasting it with compressed but open the fan casing and then give the heat sink and fan a good blast. some times removing the heatsink cleaning the core and the mem of thermal paste/pad and add new thermal paste on to the gpu core and thermal pad (yes pads note paste) on the mem should help. if its still giving you issues try underclocking the card abit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It's doing it from stone cold now, before it even has time to get hot. I've had a look on Scan and it's an ancient card now so I reckon I'll just pop up there tomorrow and buy a GTX 460. Can't be arsed trying to fix it with a heat gun tbh.

Just gotta open it up tomorrow to see what wattage my PSU is. Can't remember.

Gray

FH is my second home
If i recall you had the BFG the same as i did.

Bit of a shame they've gone bust now, because they where awesome with their (Not so much now...) lifetime guarantees.

Embattle

FH is my second home
If it is the dual slot version I had a problem with mine once, in essence the dust can clog the exhaust air channels under the plastic but cleaning it now won't do much since it will now be permanently damaged.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yeah it's screwed. I reckon the heavy demands made of it by Batman pushed it a bit too far. The PSU is a 500W Zalman so that's ok. Shame Scan is shut on Sundays, still, plenty of other things to do. Cheers for the help guys.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
7232968890_dd7173f345_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom