Bass Solo - Matt Freeman

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
i found it pretty dull, but then its not my kind of music. Out of interest if hes so keen on doing solos why didnt he learn to play lead guitar instead of bass.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
NikonL said:
i found it pretty dull, but then its not my kind of music. Out of interest if hes so keen on doing solos why didnt he learn to play lead guitar instead of bass.

Why didn't goalkeepers go learn to be a cashier with all the standing they do.

Well a poor analogy, but still, you like bass, you like guitar, different things.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
NikonL said:
Matt freeman hardly ever does bass solos, rancid have 6 albums and off the top of my head i can think of 5 bass solos and they have around 120 songs.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
Why didn't goalkeepers go learn to be a cashier with all the standing they do.

Well a poor analogy, but still, you like bass, you like guitar, different things.

A bass & guitar have A LOT more in common than a goalkepper and cashier!

That's the worse analogy i've ever seen! :p

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
Bugz said:

you mean like, they are both stringed instruments just like both cashiers and goalkeepers are human? you mean they both evolved from the same thing, like cashiers and goalkeepers? you mean they are played similarly, just like cashiers and goalkeepers stand around similarly? you mean if you can play one you can make do with the other, just like a cashier can catch a ball and a goalkeeper can run the cash register?

Himse

FH is my second home
fl3a said:
you mean like, they are both stringed instruments just like both cashiers and goalkeepers are human? you mean they both evolved from the same thing, like cashiers and goalkeepers? you mean they are played similarly, just like cashiers and goalkeepers stand around similarly? you mean if you can play one you can make do with the other, just like a cashier can catch a ball and a goalkeeper can run the cash register?

fl3a, your a clever estonian.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
fl3a said:

That is the worse backup of the worse anaology I have ever seen! :p

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
jaco pastorius , victor wooten , les claypoole and that´s without mentioning any jazz men :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bugz said:

Actually bass and guitar are two totally different things. Like saying if you like anal you must be part gay :D

More glorious analogies!

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
Actually bass and guitar are two totally different things. Like saying if you like anal you must be part gay :D

More glorious analogies!

Actually, some gay men dislike anal becuase too much sensitivity on the prostrate isn't that pleasureable! :p

Why do I know that....

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bugz said:
Actually, some gay men dislike anal becuase too much sensitivity on the prostrate isn't that pleasureable! :p

Why do I know that....

Kinda self pwning? :D

Himse

FH is my second home
Bugz said:

Why do I know that....

your gf is rly a man! :<

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
Dudley52 said:
Matt freeman hardly ever does bass solos, rancid have 6 albums and off the top of my head i can think of 5 bass solos and they have around 120 songs.

well i consider that quite a lot of bass solos lol. i see the bass guitar as a percussion peice- to accompany the drums. iron maiden have around 14 albums i think, and to my knowledge there isnt a single bass solo. and its not because steve harris (the bass player) lacks the talent necessary, far from it. Bass just isnt the instrument to play if youre into that kind of thing (imo).

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
NikonL said:
well i consider that quite a lot of bass solos lol. i see the bass guitar as a percussion peice- to accompany the drums. iron maiden have around 14 albums i think, and to my knowledge there isnt a single bass solo. and its not because steve harris (the bass player) lacks the talent necessary, far from it. Bass just isnt the instrument to play if youre into that kind of thing (imo).

theres bass intro solos though, so you cant say that there are no iron maiden songs with a bass solo :D

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
fl3a said:
theres bass intro solos though, so you cant say that there are no iron maiden songs with a bass solo :D

well what counts as a solo? :p

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
where a single instrument is highlighted/playing by itself, and an intro solo for me is when the part thats being played is not just the main bass riff of the song, like 'blood on the worlds hands' would count, but not 'clairvoyant'

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
NikonL said:

Ladadum....

MAybe not iron maiden, but i'd say metallica counts as a "big" band :)

Or maybe this.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
fl3a said:

that isnt a solo , just opening riff that happens to be on bass.. thats like saying every drum intro is a 'solo' ; which is rubbish.

And yeah drum/bass solos are boring as hell , pick up a guitar if you want to sound good on your own

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
<Crocodile Dundee>Bass solo? That's not a bass solo!</Crocodile Dundee>

Oh dear. Time for some musical education again, methinks :D. Here are a few real bass gods:

Jaco Pastorius

Jeff Berlin

John Patitucci

Billy Sheehan

Stanley Clarke

Bill Dickens

Not so much a solo as great bass parts within a song, from two of my favourite bassists/bands ever:

Geddy Lee of Rush

Geddy again

Les Claypool of Primus

Les again

Every bassist who likes to grab the spotlight owes a huge debt to probably the first up-front bassist in any rock band, the late great John Entwistle of The Who...he was playing like this in the mid-60s, and the bass solo in 'My Generation' is the first rock bass solo ever.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Anthrax : Got the time. has a Bass solo and its bass lead. Only one I know :p

I also reckon Rob Trujillo kicks most ass on the Bass, he sure looks like he is having the most fun, and he looks the best playing. I know looks ain't everything but he does indeed rock!

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:

Not that different IMO, might be played differently when it comes to style but I could play a bass first time I touched one, even if it was quite basic the notes were the same the strings were the same (cept thicker) with more frett space. I bet a goalie would need some till training :p

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Mojo said:
I also reckon Rob Trujillo kicks most ass on the Bass, he sure looks like he is having the most fun, and he looks the best playing. I know looks ain't everything but he does indeed rock!

It's jsut a shame his talent is now wasted in Metallica.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Mojo said:
Not that different IMO, might be played differently when it comes to style but I could play a bass first time I touched one, even if it was quite basic the notes were the same the strings were the same (cept thicker) with more frett space. I bet a goalie would need some till training :p

Basics are quite the same yes.

Afterall, it's an instrument.

A pianist can take a guitar/bass and learn the basics too, quite fast. So can a klarinet player.

But let's say you put your grandma who's been driving a pinto for 50 odd years, behind the wheel of a maserati. 'cause well, car's a car :D

BAsics don't mean everything in my book.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
Basics are quite the same yes.

Afterall, it's an instrument.

A pianist can take a guitar/bass and learn the basics too, quite fast. So can a klarinet player.

But let's say you put your grandma who's been driving a pinto for 50 odd years, behind the wheel of a maserati. 'cause well, car's a car :D

BAsics don't mean everything in my book.

Oh come on :p

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
yaruar said:
It's jsut a shame his talent is now wasted in Metallica.

Nooooooooooo such lies :p

Metallica certainly came out better than Ozzy in the bassist swap though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom