News Banning texting causes more car crashes

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I'd say it depends on the person, timing, place, etc.

Driving a 110mph through london may not be the best place to check a text, but for example driving on the freeway, with nothing but straight road for miles, a look at a text or even texting isn't that big a deal.

You can't make the law situational. "Well, if you think you can do it without crashing, sure, go ahead!". Everyone would do it and the law can't do anything because you're telling them to judge it themselves. You have to ban it on all roads at any speeds, nothing else makes sense and nothing else can really be policed.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Surprise, sur-fucking-prise.

Do I win a medal for predicting the stream of bullshit in advance?

Not really, but i could give you a medal for being one(if not only) person on the thread who has not commented on the topic, but has solely decided to attack one person on a non-issue, not to mention posting(which is not even relevant) with *'s.

This isn't helped by being a moderator.

You can't make the law situational. "Well, if you think you can do it without crashing, sure, go ahead!". Everyone would do it and the law can't do anything because you're telling them to judge it themselves. You have to ban it on all roads at any speeds, nothing else makes sense and nothing else can really be policed.

I merely was talking about texting and driving in general, not the law. If it's illegal, then it is, my opinions on the matter would mean nothing.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
In response to above^

Then remove fiddling with the radio, drinking, eating, and all activities that might in any way hinder the drivers attention to the road *nod*

The driver shall not even speak! Distraction! :p

I got a right mobsquad on me for saying the following; texting isn't safe, but it can be done safely.

Which means that if you use common sense, you can easily read a text etc.

Hiding the phone on your lap = stupid.

Checking it like checking a tomtom = not stupid.

Saying texting isn't safe but it can be done safely while driving and not actually being a driver is arse.

So from this threads point of view I find it relevant, firstly to defend myself as I was part of the so called mob squad from the other thread, secondly to show that the so called mob squad was actually having a discussion about driving with a non driver and not just arguing with you for the sake of it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Actually Emb, my original post was about ineffective legislation - it's fuck all to do with whether texting is actually safe, contained a pop about the past labour gov's approach to legislation and a call for new legislation to be science based.

You used a slightly suggestive title for this thread though, banning texting doesn't necessarily cause more crashes - there have been more reported crashes since the law was implemented. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

Calaen

Still not answering what i said.

How many times to I have to tell you I found it relevant to tell people you could not drive because you were making massive statements about the safety of doing said things while not actually being a driver.

I don't need to talk about anyone elses driving experience because I can't find anyone else saying it's actually safe to text while driving or it's ok to drink and drive as long as it's after the fact and no one got hurt.

The second anyone comes out with something of the above lines I will of course question their driving experience.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So now it's massive statements? Interesting.

And it's not what was said, what was said is that my opinions are irreleavnt if i don't hold a lisence. Ergo; you should ask everyone for their lisence to take their opinion, pro or con, before listening.

You're not questioning others because you don't disagree with what was said, so it's only mudslinging without any attempt to discuss.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You're not questioning others because you don't disagree with what was said, so it's only mudslinging without any attempt to discuss.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You used a slightly suggestive title for this thread though, banning texting doesn't necessarily cause more crashes - there have been more reported crashes since the law was implemented. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

Yep. I used a slightly suggestive title. It was going to be a lighthearted poke at stupid laws until everyone jumped on their own bandwagons and started beating their chests :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still not answering what i said.

Bit hypocritical eh?

Answer the question about whether you've even seen a car, let alone can drive one.

Or the one that you're scared to answer in off-topic. ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bit hypocritical eh?

Answer the question about whether you've even seen a car, let alone can drive one.

I'm done witht he thread really, when a mod start to harass, it stops being the low level harass that other members constantly push.

Calaen

Bit hypocritical eh?

He won't answer it!

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
He won't answer it!
Indeed, he won't answer it. He's going to use my posting as an excuse. Cheap shot, as usual. Anything but play on the pitch in a fair manner the same as everyone else.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Indeed, he won't answer it. He's going to use my posting as an excuse. Cheap shot, as usual. Anything but play on the pitch in a fair manner the same as everyone else.

It's not the "same as everyone else" when mods turn a blind eye on things and even get on the action themselves.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'd take task with this tho - driving isn't dangerous in the UK. 2200 deaths a year. It's both "fuck" and "all".

Smoking is much more dangerous.

It's not just about deaths Scouse. The cost of accidents is probably more relevant. It costs people a lot in claims, or avoiding claims, where claims are made and accidents logged it increases the cost of insurance for everyone in that area. Speed cameras and humps are often introduced now where accidents occur, or traffic enforcement cameras - this has financial and time implications for everyone using that route.

You've also got loss of earnings through missed work for injuries, as well as loss of productivity for employers.

Driving is dangerous because it is something that does require your concentration at all times, you have to have full control of your vehicle while always worrying about every idiot around you. Anyone who thinks this is not the case, should not be allowed to drive.

edit:// I also agree that legislation like the one you mentioned in the OP can be more harmful, it's easier just to make it illegal to do and have the punishment be a large amount of points on your licence, say 6? People will more than likely try to avoid fines through sneakyness, but less will be willing to risk their licence.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's not the "same as everyone else" when mods turn a blind eye on things and even get on the action themselves.
If you've got a problem Toht, use the report post button. It's there for you like it is for everyone else. I don't review my own posts.

Your assertions are ridiculous. You spout unproven, unsupported nonsense and will no doubt continue to do so.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If you've got a problem Toht, use the report post button. It's there for you like it is for everyone else. I don't review my own posts.

Your assertions are ridiculous. You spout unproven, unsupported nonsense and will no doubt continue to do so.

Yeah 'cause everyone else says proven, supported sensical posts around here and will no dubt ocntinue to do so.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I don't see how not looking at the road when driving can not be considered stupid.

it's americans.

there they have to have warning texts that states that cruise control will NOT turn your car around bends and corners for them....

Tom

I am a FH squatter
We don't need new laws for this. We have laws that are perfectly adequate, that can convict a person on careless driving.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's not just about deaths Scouse.

Nope. You're right! Smoking's also about hundreds of illnesses too. Ones that cost much more to the country than the tiny number of accidents that we have on UK roads. Time off work, hospital costs (a single admittence to hospital for a smoking relating disease on the NHS can cost tens of thousands), yadda yadda yadda ;)

We don't need new laws for this. We have laws that are perfectly adequate, that can convict a person on careless driving.

Totally agree :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've not compared smoking to this though, I don't disagree with that. And yes we have laws, but I see lots of people on their phones texting or talking every day while driving -so I have to be even more careful because they aren't. Clearly we need more awareness or a crackdown.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've not compared smoking to this though, I don't disagree with that. And yes we have laws, but I see lots of people on their phones texting or talking every day while driving -so I have to be even more careful because they aren't. Clearly we need more awareness or a crackdown.

Why? Why have a crackdown? It's the whole point of this thread!

Crackdowns/laws - they make no fucking difference.

Additionally - what do you mean "even more careful". I'm of the opinion that you're always as careful as you can be whilst driving. Always.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Badly phrased - I suppose it puts me on edge? I'm almost anticipating stupidity from people I see doing other things while driving. Tend to stay further back, or drive slower if I'm in front of them.

I heard an interesting view on the news the other week, for the life of me I can't remember what program it was on. It was about improving car technology and safety systems. They made the point that most people feel they are better drivers now than they were 10 or 20 years ago, they said this was not due to people being better drivers, but cars safety systems adjusting better for peoples driving styles. There is a danger that people take more risks because they feel more secure and have faith in their abilities as a driver.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Crackdowns/laws - they make no fucking difference.

I don't agree you can make that statement on the grounds of these few reports. It's entirely possible that there won't be a significant reduction a few years after the law is set up.

Embattle

FH is my second home

See above for for part of what my reply would of been amongst various other things....if I thought half the arguments were worth the effort.

Back to Civ 5.

Mey

Part of the furniture
I don't understand why this (read country) govt. has a fascination with creating new laws. We have had laws that could be applied to the likes of driving and using your phone/texting for ages.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Even mods have a point of view and being a mod does not cut off your 'posting what you think bollocks'. I really don't want to see masses of reported posts from Toht when he is so totally wrong :(

Toht - do you, or did you ever, hold a valid driving licence?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Even mods have a point of view and being a mod does not cut off your 'posting what you think bollocks'. I really don't want to see masses of reported posts from Toht when he is so totally wrong :(
Don't say that Jup or we'll all be against him, just let him single me out, after all it's me that's basically saying "look Toht, stop being a twat" not you.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Nope. You're right! Smoking's also about hundreds of illnesses too. Ones that cost much more to the country than the tiny number of accidents that we have on UK roads. Time off work, hospital costs (a single admittence to hospital for a smoking relating disease on the NHS can cost tens of thousands)

The revenue made from smoking is many billions of pounds more than what the smokers cost the NHS, its a bullshit argument that none smokers wheel out all the time. Ban smoking and the NHS would be in an even bigger mess.

Texting while driving is stupid, end of argument. Doing make-up while driving is stupid, end of argument. Many things that involve not looking at the road while driving are stupid.....END OF ARGUMENT!

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom