Film Avatar : My review [SPOILERS]

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i saw this in 3d at the new revamped wood green vue and it was amazing. the 3d was excellent. I want to see it again

Tom

I am a FH squatter

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
going to see this tomorrow or wednesday. looking forward to it and some salty popcorn ^^

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Saw it yesterday....
Is it me or are some of the 3D bits in the first part of the movie a bit blurry?
It improved a lot halfway through and in the end I even forgot I was watching 3D and CGI.... it's that good!
Guess I'll be going back for a second viewing too :D
(and buy a new 120Hz 3D tv in a year or 2)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Saw it yesterday....
Is it me or are some of the 3D bits in the first part of the movie a bit blurry?
It improved a lot halfway through and in the end I even forgot I was watching 3D and CGI.... it's that good!
Guess I'll be going back for a second viewing too :D
(and buy a new 120Hz 3D tv in a year or 2)

I thought that but I think it seems to be a feature of 3D movies because I noticed the same thing watching Up. At first you're too concious of the 3Dness of it all, and then after a while your brain readjusts.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
When Cameron said he'd made it for the fans, I didn't realise he meant the fans of LSD!

Very trippy film, the night scenes were awesome.

TdC

Very trippy film, the night scenes were awesome.

yes, they were, but they also reminded me I was watching a glorified cartoon.

I liked it. Awesome action movie. I was peeved by the glossing over of the "hard bits", and by the massive lengths gone to to show the humans as potentially hostile, but what really pissed me off was (nerd alert):

if you're going to envisage a whole biosphere (and do such a good job at it I must add), then why have every single animal breathe out of it's neck/chest except the humanoid one?? SURELY the american kiddies can sympathise with a hot blue chick that breathes out of nostrils on her neck? ffs!

DaGaffer

if you're going to envisage a whole biosphere (and do such a good job at it I must add), then why have every single animal breathe out of it's neck/chest except the humanoid one?? SURELY the american kiddies can sympathise with a hot blue chick that breathes out of nostrils on her neck? ffs!

And make all the animals hexapeds except the Na'vi. Annoyed me as well. As you said they did a good job on the bioshpere otherwise (the air intakes are nicked from a book I read about how centaurs would need to be designed in order to work properly, but for the life of me I can't remember the title).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Have to ask people who liked it immensily, i mean "wow wow wow!", what was so good about it?

I get that it's a good film, as far as 3D films go(almost full cgi that is), it's in the top 10. What i don't get is the over-the-toip comments about it like "revolutionary" or "mind blowing".

I figured out what Avatar is, it's the breasts of movies.

Why, do you ask?

Because they seem to distract people from all the flaws that they'd jump to point at in other movies.

TdC

And make all the animals hexapeds except the Na'vi. Annoyed me as well. As you said they did a good job on the bioshpere otherwise (the air intakes are nicked from a book I read about how centaurs would need to be designed in order to work properly, but for the life of me I can't remember the title).

I also noticed a distinct lack of aquatic life, like when he was chased by the cat thing and jumped the waterfall (nice job on making the waterfall -err- fall survivable for a two and a half meter tall 300kg alien btw, it wasn't stupidly high thank god) but imo it would have been cool if some kind of snake/eel/fish thing would have tried to eat him furthering the sense of the whole planet being hostile and unfriendly at first. oh well, I suppose you can't have everything you want after spending three hundred million dollars hehe.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Have to ask people who liked it immensily, i mean "wow wow wow!", what was so good about it?

It just was!!

Gonna have to work out for my Avatar haloween costume next year!!!

DaGaffer

I also noticed a distinct lack of aquatic life, like when he was chased by the cat thing and jumped the waterfall (nice job on making the waterfall -err- fall survivable for a two and a half meter tall 300kg alien btw, it wasn't stupidly high thank god) but imo it would have been cool if some kind of snake/eel/fish thing would have tried to eat him furthering the sense of the whole planet being hostile and unfriendly at first. oh well, I suppose you can't have everything you want after spending three hundred million dollars hehe.

I know. I expected some kind of six-legged crocodile when he fell in. Don't forget his survivability when he fell can't be assessed in Earth terms; there's lower gravity and didn't they mention something about "bones made from naturally occurring carbon fibre"?

TdC

I know. I expected some kind of six-legged crocodile when he fell in. Don't forget his survivability when he fell can't be assessed in Earth terms; there's lower gravity and didn't they mention something about "bones made from naturally occurring carbon fibre"?

oh lower gravity? I missed that bit. it would account for giant trees that didn't collapse under their own weight even though they required a serious rocket assault to destroy, and large bird-analogues that could take off out of the forest by flapping their wings without tearing themselves apart. also wtf is that flux thing causing floating boulders and mountains? I mean, I love floating mountains like the next man, but them sciency fellars talking about "flux" makes me itchy. They should have said something like monopoles or something for me to buy in to it.

Yes, they did mention natural (not regular teehee) carbon fiber enhanced bones, which initially made me think of a hippy Wolverine, you know, like chopping weed with his toenails or something, but they never ever went back to it unless I fell asleep and missed 5 minutes somewhere. I thought they were going to use it as an excuse to allow the blu kitteh's to survive being punched by a marine in an exo-suit without perishing horribly and making the pg13 girls cry. Good for them that they didn't and there was carnage galore.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It just was!!

Gonna have to work out for my Avatar haloween costume next year!!!

'It just is' is hardly an argument for the movie :p

Honestly trying to understand if everyone was given a joint at the start of the movie, but my seat was missed, or if Cameron just put something in the global water supply.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
You don't have to like it Thot, it just may not be your cup of tea! I went with three others, one of which fell asleep in the first 20 mins... although he confessed when he woke the rest of the film was good.

Personally when I go to the cinema, I don't go to come out and criticise something for the sake of criticism. If I have had my monies worth in that the film has given me an experience which can generate a multitude of emotions then I put it in the very good category. I went in with absolutely no expectations, I refused to watch trailers or read reviews just because I didn't want to get all hyped up. I laughed, I cried, I got scared, angry and felt like I was a part of the film... so for me this film was very good.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Surely not saying it's bad, just was curious on why people see it as something special. You know, hype special, over the top, revolutionary.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Surely not saying it's bad, just was curious on why people see it as something special. You know, hype special, over the top, revolutionary.

The visual experience is far ahead of anything else we've seen before. It's not hard to work out, you're just being difficult for the sake of it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The visual experience is far ahead of anything else we've seen before. It's not hard to work out, you're just being difficult for the sake of it.

No i'm not, i just don't see it.

Maybe it should be seen in an imax or some such, but it just doesn't seem all that. The only thing the 3D managed to do, as it was subtle, was to break the movie experience with the occasional "oh yeah it's 3d" moments.

Without it, it's not that good 3D.

Like i said, i just don't see it and think there's something in the tap water.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Last 3D in previous post means CGI.

If someone can shead some ligt on it, perhaps offer different POV on how to see it etc, most welcome. Otherwise, i think it'll go in the "good 2d movie" category.

Tilda

Went to see it on saturday with a mate and it was utterly amazing. Loved it.
Going to see it again on wednesday! :D

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
This is now the 4th highest grossing film ever, and next week it'll be #2.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Tohtori in disagreeing with the rest of the forum shocker. Who would have thought it?!

I've not seen any hype about the film or read any reviews of it, I just enjoyed it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Tohtori in disagreeing with the rest of the forum shocker. Who would have thought it?!

I've not seen any hype about the film or read any reviews of it, I just enjoyed it.

Gods with the same old record....for f*cks sake i'm not saying it's a bad movie, i'm not disagreeing with anyone, i said it's a good movie, i was just ASKING people what made it so amazing(revolutionary etc).

F*cking fanboys...you can't say anything bad or even question the perfection, or you get pummeled with ridicilous claims like "So you don't like it eh?!". All reason, out the window.

If your only argument is "you're arguing!", then don't bother.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
*shock* </Sarcasm>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom