Film Avatar : My review [SPOILERS]

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
So I have just got back from the premiere screening of Avatar at my local cinema and I feel that I got my money's worth. Amazing CGI, 3D, colourful, good pacing and a familiar storyline all came together to make a visual spectacle.

I have to confess that I'm a stickler for good effects. If I can see the join between the live action and CGI then I feel cheated. No worries about that with this film. This is the first time that everything from the sweeping landscape shots right down the slightest changes of expressions on the actors worked flawlessly. You can't forget you're watching CGI because of the fantasy setting and the colour palette, but you find yourself forgetting that you're watching CGI overlaid on motion captured actors. Speaking of the actors, you can actually recognise the main players easily. I could see Sigourney Weaver and Zoe Saldana in their respective Na'vi bodies (and Zoe has a very nice body...).

It was in Real3D which uses polarised glasses to split a double image on screen into a single image with exaggerated depth. The film makers thankfully didn't try to poke your eye out with too many things coming out of the screen and instead used the 3D system to enhance the sense of depth in the forest. The aerial plankton and ash falling across the screen definitely added the feeling of being *there*.

Spoiler time
The material that they're mining is called unobtainium. The same name was used for the material in "The Core". I lol'd

The story is HEAVILY influenced by a number of scifi and fantasy books. The main theme is "Dances With Wolves" crossed with "Fern Gully".

The way that a Na'vi hunter bonds with a banshee reminded me so much of Anne MacCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern". In the Pern books, a person bonds for life with their dragon at hatching. In Avatar, once a hunter has bonded with a banshee, they're linked for life. It also didn't help that the banshees LOOKED like dragons when their wings were extended.

Grace, Sigourney's character, explains how the trees are all interconnected with more connections than a human brain. Later in the film, the trees and animals are shown to be part of the same consciousness. That reminded me of the Verdani in Kevin.J.Anderson's "Saga Of The Seven Suns" series. They are conscious trees that can communicate across vast distances instantly.

When the Marines were stomping through the forest, I thought it looked a lot like the game Halo. The gunship also reminded me a lot of the Pelican dropship in Halo.

When the gunships were blowing crap out of the Hometree was a powerful moment. Bang bang bang ... the sub woofers were going mad and you could feel each explosion against your chest. Then watching 1000feet of tree falling over and the chaos on the ground along with it was impressive.

Watching the Hallelujah Mountains just sent the song "Castles In The Sky" going around my head. It's one of those pieces of fantasy art that is stunning to see in vivid moving images on screen.

There was a certain feeling of the film "Dune" while I was watching. That was because of a young man joining a tribe/clan in opposition to a foe, working through the ranks to eventually take his place as warrior leader. Riding in on a turok (yes, I lol'd at that as well) was similar to riding in on a giant sandworm.

I wondered how they were going to get him permanently in his avatar because it was such an obvious plot conclusion. Nice touch, and thankfully they showed that it didn't necessarily work when Grace died.
I'm looking forward to when I get it on bluray because the film itself will stand up on it's own without the 3D. 3D in this case turns a good film into a cinema experience.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
You know he started writing this 20 years or more ago? in fact I think a few stars from Aliens even read the original script :)

Good review, thanks! :D

rynnor

Rockhound
Am I the only one who thinks it looks like another overhyped pile of steaming ****?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Am I the only one who thinks it looks like another overhyped pile of steaming ****?
Nope, but I'm ashamed to admit that the hype is working on me to a certain extent. They've gone on about how expensive it was to make and how amazing it looks that I've ended up thinking 'hmm, could be interesting'. All the trailers I've seen of it look pretty naff though.

Will

/bin/su
It is very good. I'd recommend seeing it in 3D too, it works very well. Though that was the first film I've seen in 3D in a long time.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Short SHORT version of a review from me;

"Just a tad too long, nice looking, 3D not necessary."

Now some added points;

Plot, acting, etc...nothing to write home about, good enough, but nothing you haven't seen.

CGI was good, this doesn't mean mind blowing, but it was good. Can easily enough forget it's CGI after a good 15 minutes.

3D only needed if you haven't seen other 3D films and are curious. It's the best around, smooth, but once you get used to the subtle 3D, some parts break the movieflow with some in your face action. 50/50 which version is better.

It's no "revolution" for cinema, but it's a good sci-fi semi-pixar action film.

Holes ofcourse, things i would've done different, but those can be forgotten as they are opinions and nitpicking.

Only thing that i was curious about, since it was there;

Love scene. No tentacle connection. Why?

It's a "good to have" on the DVD shelf(semi-chick flick too guys ;)) and if you're watching one movie in the cinema, this is not a bad choice.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Disclaimer; should note that i'm a graphic/3d artist so if i say the CGI is good, to the "normal viewer" i'd bump it to awesome(not legendary) :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Utterly fucking awesome. Really, I'm quite picky when it comes to what films I enjoy, but I saw this this evening in 3D, and I was blown away.

Yes, the effects are amazing, but the plot worked. I cared about the characters. I was moved by what happened to them, and their fight back.

Don't let the hype make you cynical. Just go and see it, its fucking brilliant.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Saw it tonite fan-fckin-tastic. Only thing which woulda made it a tad better if they had made it for 15+, but rly not a major thing.
I was long but thts james cameron for ya, and tbh i wouldnt of minded if it was longer. I really really enjoyed this film, long live 3d films.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Holy shit fuck batman! This film was awesome, you must see it in 3d, it is visually perfect. Dances with smurfs may be an accurate description, but it really is a masterpiece that has to be seen.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Completely agree, and I'm going to see it again. And possibly again. I can't stop playing the trailer on YouTube. This film has restored my faith in cinema.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Completely agree, and I'm going to see it again. And possibly again. I can't stop playing the trailer on YouTube. This film has restored my faith in cinema.

I'm glad Cameron was so determined to get this made only when he knew he could. I shall also be seeing this in the cinema as many times as I can afford to.

Felt for the first time in many a year that the high cinema ticket price was earned.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Just back from the cinema. Absolutely loved it, sure its a little bit derivative and a little long but it makes you care about the characters and the world and drags you right in there. Truly excellent.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm glad Cameron was so determined to get this made only when he knew he could. I shall also be seeing this in the cinema as many times as I can afford to.

Felt for the first time in many a year that the high cinema ticket price was earned.
Same here on both counts.
I'll be going to see it again, with my wife next time. The premium for 3D is a bit much, but in this case is worthwhile.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I am really looking forward to this, but, because I didn't read the thread and it may of been answered already, but can you also view it in normal eyes? Do you have to watch it in 3D or is there a choice?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I am really looking forward to this, but, because I didn't read the thread and it may of been answered already, but can you also view it in normal eyes? Do you have to watch it in 3D or is there a choice?
My local cinema's showing "normal" and 3D on a number of separate screens.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I wouldn't watch this in 2D, if you have a choice.

However, the IMAX ('fake' IMAX) 3D glasses are fucking awful. Quite uncomfortable, though you notice it less as the movie goes on, but worse was being able to see your face reflected on the lenses during the brighter scenes.

I want to see it again, might try to find a RealD showing. I watched Beowulf in RealD and the glasses were perfect.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I wouldn't watch this in 2D, if you have a choice.

However, the IMAX ('fake' IMAX) 3D glasses are fucking awful. Quite uncomfortable, though you notice it less as the movie goes on, but worse was being able to see your face reflected on the lenses during the brighter scenes.

I want to see it again, might try to find a RealD showing. I watched Beowulf in RealD and the glasses were perfect.

Yeah I did not have this issue with the myvue cinema showing, which I believe was real3d. Anyone know if you can negate the high ticket cost for 3d by keeping the glasses and bringing them with you for the film? It seems to me they are simply charging a premium for the glasses.

Also an advert before the show stated that sky are bringing the 3d system to existing skyhd boxes next year.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Hehe nah doesn't work like tht mate i work for vue cinemas and we'll still rip you off with our expensive tickets.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
..yeah, and your 45 fucking minutes of stupid adverts. Fuck Vue. I watched it at Odeon.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just got back. I have to admit I was massively cynical about this before I went in, but I came out convinced. Very, very good, even if the basic plot is a bit hackneyed.

Of course the humans would come back, and let's face it, next time they'd take the advice of another Cameron film; "nuke 'em from orbit, its the only way to be sure"

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Of course the humans would come back, and let's face it, next time they'd take the advice of another Cameron film; "nuke 'em from orbit, its the only way to be sure"

I did wonder why Sully did not mention something along those lines; he must know that they will be back and next time they would go for all out destruction. Still it was nice to have a happy ending that mostly worked.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I did wonder why Sully did not mention something along those lines; he must know that they will be back and next time they would go for all out destruction. Still it was nice to have a happy ending that mostly worked.
Leaving the way open for Avatar 2, Avatar 3 etc etc etc... Jim Cameron's said that he'll make this a franchise if it is successful.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It was a very worthy film. After the shit this year with things like Terminator, this was the first film I've seen in ages that really made me feel like I'd had a cinematic experience rather than "ohhh look, it's a bigger telly".

As much as Sky have pissed me off with my broadband, if they can pull of something anywhere near close to this using a normal TV, I think they'll bend me over for a Sky HD subscription in the not to distant future :(

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
SkyHD is quite good but the quality is far behind blu-ray. And you won't get 3D out of a normal TV. And even if you do, I think bandwidth issues (Sky will need to send us like twice as much data) will mean an even bigger drop in quality.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well I'm certainly curious to see it now mate. If i'd not seen this film I'd still be "meh, whatever"

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
As much as Sky have pissed me off with my broadband, if they can pull of something anywhere near close to this using a normal TV, I think they'll bend me over for a Sky HD subscription in the not to distant future :(

Frankly, I don't think they can. I watched this on a normal multiplex screen and spent the whole time wishing I was watching it on IMAX because with 3D you become acutely aware of the borders of the screen, constantly reminding you where 3D "ends". Translate that to any domestic telly and it becomes even more obvious.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Saw it today and thought it was awesome :)

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
Wow, wow and wow again. Seriously feckin' stupendous. CGI completely seamless, top hole acting and I loved how organic all the plant life on Pandora was. Its a must see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom