Film Avatar : My review [SPOILERS]

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So Cameron is going to have the two most expensive and two biggest grossing films. Heh. Spend money to make money in action.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Gods with the same old record....for f*cks sake i'm not saying it's a bad movie, i'm not disagreeing with anyone, i said it's a good movie, i was just ASKING people what made it so amazing(revolutionary etc).
What makes this film stand out IMO is that it brings together a number of cinematic technologies in a seamless manner.
  • VFX and CGI have been around for years.
  • Motion capture has been around a while.
  • 3D has been used for more than 50 years but it's only just starting to be used to enhance the sense of depth in a scene, instead of using it to poke your eye out with something coming out of the screen.
  • CGI characters have always suffered from unnatural skin or "dead eyes" in films before. This film was the first one to make CGI characters emote believably.
All Cameron has done is pull all these elements of filmmaking together to make a unique movie. In that respect the film is revolutionary, much like The Matrix, Terminator2 and Star Wars were revolutionary films in their day.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
[*]3D has been used for more than 50 years but it's only just starting to be used to enhance the sense of depth in a scene, instead of using it to poke your eye out with something coming out of the screen.

Exactly, like the bit where the army bloke is in the robot, looking through the rear view mirror.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What makes this film stand out IMO is that it brings together a number of cinematic technologies in a seamless manner.
  • VFX and CGI have been around for years.
  • Motion capture has been around a while.
  • 3D has been used for more than 50 years but it's only just starting to be used to enhance the sense of depth in a scene, instead of using it to poke your eye out with something coming out of the screen.
  • CGI characters have always suffered from unnatural skin or "dead eyes" in films before. This film was the first one to make CGI characters emote believably.
All Cameron has done is pull all these elements of filmmaking together to make a unique movie. In that respect the film is revolutionary, much like The Matrix, Terminator2 and Star Wars were revolutionary films in their day.

Ah yeah, in that context i can see what the hoopla is about. I guess that if the "amazing" bit is like the tech advances of terminator and matrix, that it's a good achievement. Still a bit to go though, CGI isn't still quite enough to make people realistic(even if they manage to make you forget the CGI) and 3D tech needs a bit of work.

So as a tech advancement, i can see the achievement, even if i find the movie itself(story etc) on the 8-9/10 status

Turamber

Part of the furniture
F*cking fanboys

I enjoyed the film. If that makes me a "f*cking fanboy" then fine. But somehow I think you overreact and read overreaction into other peoples opinions and thoughts.

There is probably a technical description for your mental illness but I will settle for "cock".

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I enjoyed the film. If that makes me a "f*cking fanboy" then fine. But somehow I think you overreact and read overreaction into other peoples opinions and thoughts.

There is probably a technical description for your mental illness but I will settle for "cock".

The f*cking fanboy comment is for taking a question 'Why do you think it's that good?' and turning it into some flame invitation.

Thinking something is good, fine. Not being able to answer critisizm with anything but one line flames, being a fanboy. Zenith answered it with thought and polite tone, so it's not impossible to do.

But let's leave that discussion somewhere else before someone cries that i ruined the thread.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
AYe that is funny as hell, below is a proper class attempt!!

TheEffectsLab.com :: View topic - NA'VI

Went to watch it again last night this time at 3d IMAX (new screen at the Metro Centre), It didn't appear as messy as I thought some scenes were the first time round, I suspect sitting at the front of the cinema lessens the experience.

Loved it even more second time around, I will be having a blast at the costume for Halloween!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It won't all be 3D. Just on the wide shots, I think. The close shots will be 2D, unless they've discovered some uber-expensive way to get 2 J86x lenses side-by-side on a special mount. Its a hell of a weight for a man to push around.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I think you are autistic Toht or atleast have a ASD. You take everything people say as 100% literal and "seem" to find it very hard to empathise. This also ties in with fact you say whatever you feel no matter how argumentitive it is or tactless. Ofc thats just my opinion and only based on your forum posts. IRL you might not seem like this at all :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
But probably?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think you are autistic Toht or atleast have a ASD. You take everything people say as 100% literal and "seem" to find it very hard to empathise. This also ties in with fact you say whatever you feel no matter how argumentitive it is or tactless. Ofc thats just my opinion and only based on your forum posts. IRL you might not seem like this at all :)

Well the image people have of me is not one i've created, but one that has been snowballing.

I don't take 100% literal, i don't really empathise(that is true, i don't) and i do say what is my opinion. This isn't autism or ASD, it's being Finnish. To a repressed nation, it might seem like it :p

I'm social, talkative, people find my company fun and i've maybe had one person dislike me in my entire life. I've been in no fights(not even a shove) and i've never laid a hand on someone else in violence. I'm calm, calculative and to some cultures 'cold'. I don't judge(as shown on these forums) and i treat everyone equal and i don't have ill feelings of anyone, unless they deserve it, and there's not one person on this forum that's even on my 'slight dislike' list.

The image on this forum is not a real life image, especially since it's mostly altered by others and not me. Someone said "I just argue to argue", then another one used the same line...then another...and another and soon me being argumentative became as daily as TdC and his endeavours with...things. I agree with people, but those instances go unnoticed.

It's a blanket really, people wouldn't like to think i'm normal or that i might hold a view held by others, 'cause that would mean that the "other side" is stronger in numbers. A threat. No matter what i say, no matter how factual, no matter how polite and well put out, there's still people who just think "He's arguing!", feel good about themselves and move on.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I just try to analyze everything, thats my weakness.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
For the sake of clarity I would like to point out that I thought Avatar's plot was excellent. It wasn't just eye candy, it was an absorbing and compelling tale told in an extraordinary way.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I thought it was a good movie but nowhere near as good as people are making out, maybe its just the hype machine?

The 3d effects and CGI were very very good, it was the most real representation in a movie i have seen so far bar maybe beowulf (sp?)

The story was good at the start, i really got into it when he was getting trained
but it got long winded and boring in the middle (i fell asleep second watching)
followed by the standard action affair at the end

Overall worth a watch, but i certainly wouldn't get it in 2d for home personally

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
What a load of utter shite, switched it off half way through.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
What a load of utter shite, switched it off half way through.

But dude, it's Pocahontas in space with blue aliens and in 3D!!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!!*

*Havn't watched it yet personally.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
For old time's sake...
lolavatar.jpg

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I thought it was.....ok.

Although it was simply cowboys and blue indians....in 3D.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
This is now the 4th highest grossing film ever, and next week it'll be #2.

and that makes it good?

I take it you are a massive Spice Girls fan then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom